Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

4 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the Sheffield area photo’s which are all full of interest. The first photo’, at Woodburn Junction, Sheffield, GCR, in October, 1976, shows how coal was being stockpiled, presumably with future miners strikes in mind - unless it was a result of that long hot summer.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Woodburn was a coking plant, I believe, like the more famous Orgreave; if the coking ovens cooled down, because of a shortage of feedstock, it would cost a fortune to relight them. Hence the stocks of coal. 

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Anomalies of Sheffield railways. Part 1.

Woodburn Junction is situted at the side of Woodbourn Road.

Orgreave Colliery is known to the railway as Orgreaves Colliery.

Both being continuations of railway company mis-namings.

Also, the line in the foreground of the Nunnery pictures, (note also Nunnery Carriage Sidings and the LNWR loco shed in the background), is the remnant of the LNWR line to City Goods.

Mike.

• Thanks 1

Western, are you sure the line would have been the LNWR city goods line. I thought that was further over, where the parkway in the photos was. I thought that was the old colliery lines that ran from the manor colliery all the way to city goods where park Square Island is now (the stone bridge over the MR lines is still there.) The internal user wagons and the fact when they built the supertram they had to dig deeper foundations for the tram bridge over the MR lines because they found the remains of the old LNWR tunnel. If they are old railway lines they might be the ex MR ones to manor colliery. Those being the lines which were modified to allow the passinger trains to be diverted into pond Street and close Victoria.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

Western, are you sure the line would have been the LNWR city goods line. I thought that was further over, where the parkway in the photos was. I thought that was the old colliery lines that ran from the manor colliery all the way to city goods where park Square Island is now (the stone bridge over the MR lines is still there.) The internal user wagons and the fact when they built the supertram they had to dig deeper foundations for the tram bridge over the MR lines because they found the remains of the old LNWR tunnel. If they are old railway lines they might be the ex MR ones to manor colliery. Those being the lines which were modified to allow the passinger trains to be diverted into pond Street and close Victoria.

You are correct, and I should have been a bit clearer, there was a fan of lines used as holding sidings for city goods,(and maybe for Nunnery Colliery too), in the foreground area of the photo covering the Sheffield Parkway as well, although the actual remaining line may not have been the running line.

Mike.

• Thanks 1

J5462, J5464 brings back some late 70's early 80's memories. FInish work in Durham 7:30 Friday morning. Home for a couple hours sleep, picked up at dinner time  for drive to Sheffield, full weekend doing Sheffield things then back to Durham start work 18:00 pm Monday.

Passing the British Fuel Company (Sheffield) bunkers with lines of 16 ton minerals lined up in the gap between the bunkers and the Parkway always heralded the Sheffield arrival. Tiny armco barriers to separate the two and a low wall and a well manicured strip of grass. Closed and demolished by 1982 I guess. I can't remember it being there during the miners strike.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s42762&prevUrl=

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Shackerstone photo’s which are all most interesting. I particularly like J7016, of a Fordson tractor on railway wheels and also a  diesel crane in July, 1980. That’s something I don’t recall seeing before.

The Midland photo’s starting at Nottingham are full of interest and nostalgia, and I think there’s something interesting about J7810 at Ratcliffe on Soar with a class 253 HST on a  St. Pancras to Sheffield service in February, 1983, in that the Mk111 TF nearest the camera is much more dusty than the others. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave, I think you'll find D2245 is a class 04 and not an 03. The give away is the roof profile, the 04 having a side overhang versus the rounded profile on the 03. Great photos as usual.

Regards,

Dave

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

Hi Dave, I think you'll find D2245 is a class 04 and not an 03. The give away is the roof profile, the 04 having a side overhang versus the rounded profile on the 03. Great photos as usual.

Regards,

Dave

That is my mistake, not Dad's notes - I must have been daydreaming (again) when I typed that caption, Dad had it right.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, DaveF said:

1040487166_ShackerstoneClass03D2245MarketBosworthtoShakesrtoneJuly80J7005.jpg.24385fccbbd51fc827a977da4e277736.jpg

Shackerstone Class 03 D2245Market Bosworth to Shakesrtone July 80 J7005.jpg

David

An interesting shot that shows the class 103 DTCL that was used as hauled stock. I'm sure that the railcar website would like to add this picture to their archive.

Andy G

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A couple of corrections on the Deltics, David.

J6128 is 55 022 - the footstep above the buffer beam gives it away, being smaller than those on the rest of the fleet and square-cornered, where it was fashioned to fit in where the original headlight was fitted.

J7579 can't be 55 003 "Meld", as it was cut up nearly six months earlier. I'm pretty certain that it's 55 007 "Pinza". There are a couple of photographs of it in "The Napier Chronicles" that show it with the poorly greased buffers, as visible in your picture.

Lovely shots, bringing back great memories, as always. Best regards.

• Thanks 1

Just now, leopardml2341 said:

J2089 above; anyone know what the 10th van is?

It seems to have a rather higher roof profile than the rest?

Just now, leopardml2341 said:

J2089 above; anyone know what the 10th van is?

It seems to have a rather higher roof profile than the rest?

Ex-LMS 'Aeroplane Wagon' (42' Bogie CCT with high roof.) or LMS-design CCT, built by BR? I'd go for the latter, as I think the majority of the former had gone by the mid-1960s.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

A light load for a Deltic - BG plus six, in J7579. And no catering?

Jonathan

By that time the York semi-fast services where booked load 8 with a restaurant buffet for refreshments. That stated to change with the micro-buffets coming into service around 1981, when the buffet restaurant was removed, with a TSOT replacing a TSO, hence Loco + 7 wasn't unusual . On some services it just got left out, so no refreshments. I can remember working a couple like that. 

Paul J.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

Ex-LMS 'Aeroplane Wagon' (42' Bogie CCT with high roof.) or LMS-design CCT, built by BR? I'd go for the latter, as I think the majority of the former had gone by the mid-1960s.

I'm with you on that. Probably a Diag 2026. Here's an aeroplane van as compared to a Hawksworth in 1966.

EDIT 

For some reason this new forum software auto embeds photos from flickr even when the flickr contributor has disabled embedding. It's not my photo. To see the original photo and photographer details on Flickr; click on the photo.

WD 90547 at Alloa Station 1966.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
Flickr explanation.
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

I'm with you on that. Probably a Diag 2026. Here's an aeroplane van as compared to a Hawksworth in 1966.

WD 90547 at Alloa Station 1966.

P

That's a great photo, plenty of weathering inspiration!

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, talisman56 said:

Not sure about that LMS vanidentification - the one in the train looks as if it has central doors (note the lighter patches where the doors are on other vehicles).

A Diag. 2026 CCT had central doors.

http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=777

• Thanks 1