Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

Porcy, the default is for the picture to load into the post, but there should be a black bar which appears and says 'display as a link' (which it then does).

I find it a bit strange that the default is to hotlink the image into the post, considering the issues in the past regarding copyright etc.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 35A said:

A couple of corrections on the Deltics, David.

J6128 is 55 022 - the footstep above the buffer beam gives it away, being smaller than those on the rest of the fleet and square-cornered, where it was fashioned to fit in where the original headlight was fitted.

J7579 can't be 55 003 "Meld", as it was cut up nearly six months earlier. I'm pretty certain that it's 55 007 "Pinza". There are a couple of photographs of it in "The Napier Chronicles" that show it with the poorly greased buffers, as visible in your picture.

Lovely shots, bringing back great memories, as always. Best regards.

Many thanks,  I'm not surprised I got them wrong (again).

David

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, talisman56 said:

J2089 - now that's a parcels train. A fair sprinkling of pre-nationalisaion stock, including at least 4 SR PMV/CCTs...

I'll agree with that, brilliant selection.

Now what about 'Swayfield 47333 Hull to Kings X Sept 81 J7577' imagine the social media storm these days with the lack of working air-con....

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Swayfield photo’s, which, as always, are full of interest and nostalgia. They capture, perfectly, how the ECML was back in those heady days of Deltics, 47’s and 31’s. Of course, the diesel HST was there too by 1978, and soon the Deltics were but a memory with a small number preserved. I wonder how many HST’s will get preserved? One? Anyway, 55022, on an up express, in May, 1978, in J6128, makes a fine and powerful sight in the beautifully composed photo’.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like The Radcliffe on Trent photo’s. They are all most interesting and full of atmosphere. In J6814, of a class 114 DMU from Nottingham to Skegness at Radcliffe on Trent, in March, 1980, there is a man with what seems to be a funny hat hanging out of a drop light window of the DMBS. I wonder what he was doing?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Unusual to see a whole train of sheeted 21t minerals; I wonder what they were carrying?

I was wondering that too.

The second shot of the 20s though, is a superb compostion. It just oozes atmosphere with the curves and exhaust trail, you can almost hear that misfiring/worn injector....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s from Newcastle which show how varied the place and it’s railways are. All the photo’s are excellent, and I particularly like C8216, with 47051, on a cement train from Forth Sidings on the 24th, February, 1987. A truly atmospheric view which is most breathtaking. It shows how romantic the railway can be in even the most urban of areas.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

J7569 is not 37160, which has centre headcode panels. Looks like it might be 37052 or 062.

The position of the data panel and stickers below the number are consistent with those on 37062 taken 6 months earlier in May, as in J7506 above.

Edited by brushman47544
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

J7569 is not 37160, which has centre headcode panels. Looks like it might be 37052 or 062.

The position of the data panel and stickers below the number are consistent with those on 37062 taken 6 months earlier in May, as in J7506 above.

Thanks once again Andrew.

As is often the case I was relying on Dad's notes rather than actually studying the image - as usual I was in a hurry.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Blyth and Tyne photo’s which show the railway carrying coal and freight around which is what railways were first brought into existence for. Passengers were only a secondary consideration.  The HST in C6461,  at South Newsham, on a diversion, in February, 1984, shows how the passenger side of the railway became much more important than freight. Indeed that’s a most atmospheric photo’ of such a train.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

C8989; The name Lamington still makes me shudder (I was on duty in Glasgow Control when the WCML was shut there due to the bridge damage !). And C8959, Mossend; Two months after the date of the photo I started as a CO2 TOPS clerk in the building behind the tree on the right, having been displaced from my previous job in Control (I was able to return two years later).

Thanks once again for great photos David.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

C8996 is interesting; it looks like some OBA and OCA wagons are being used to carry wood as well as the more usual OTA type. And a PBA china clay wagon is just visible. I wonder what was lurking further back? Those Mossend speedlinks usually conveyed a good variety of traffic.

And in C8959, is that actor Brian Murphy taking a break from filming George and Mildred to cop a few sparkies at Mossend?

Lovely pictures, by the way.

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

C8996 is interesting; it looks like some OBA and OCA wagons are being used to carry wood as well as the more usual OTA type. And a PBA china clay wagon is just visible. I wonder what was lurking further back; those Mossend speedlinks usually conveyed a good variety of traffic. Lovely pictures, by the way.

Prior to there being enough OTA wagons for timber traffic, normal opens were used, alongside air-piped, vac-fitted, Bogie Bolster Ds.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

A right mix of liveries in one train in C8989, including the catering vehicle which is of course an earlier style of vehicle. Not exact;y a tidy train. But a very nice photo.

Jonathan

I'm thinking that one might split at Carstairs, there appear to be two BFKs, one for each portion.

That first shot at Crawford has something about it with the lighting....

Dave

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Crawford and Lamington, and the Mossend photo’s. All so full of interest from the WCML perspective. The last photo’ at Mossend, with classes 86, 81, 85, and a class 26, on the 14th August, 1987, combined with the OHLE would be a great modelling challenge for someone. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1