Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

J7566:- anhydrous ammonia from Haverton Hill to either Leith or Grangemouth. The barriers are an ex-Insulfish and an Ale Pallet with sides removed; the other end of the train will have similar wagons before the brake van. These vehicles were all vacuum braked; within a couple of years, hey'd have been replaced by air-braked stock.

• Thanks 1

Mossend Class 86 81 85 26 14th Aug 87 C8959

Interesting, several of us had the run of Mossend two days later (with permit). I believe some RTR model wagons have been based on photos taken that day. Mossend had an incredible variety of traffics in the 1980s as well as usually line up a variety of electric locos. just some of my photos there https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/?q=mossend Worth commenting that this was 375 miles from home, if driven directly!

Alnmouth Class 40 down freight Aug 81 J7566 

The Haverton Hill to Grangemouth Ammonia tanks with barrier wagons of ex fish van and LNER style tube wagon with doors removed (possibly ex Ale)

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/iciammonia  https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brbarrierrunner

Paul

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

J7566:- anhydrous ammonia from Haverton Hill to either Leith or Grangemouth. The barriers are an ex-Insulfish and an Ale Pallet with sides removed; the other end of the train will have similar wagons before the brake van. These vehicles were all vacuum braked; within a couple of years, hey'd have been replaced by air-braked stock.

Wasn't the code Insulfish only used for the GWR design, BR built 6 wheel fish vans?

The Vac braked Ammonias lasted until 1984. As I understand it, because there weren't enough VB tank wagons (possibly still using unfitteds) a small batch of VB wagons were built in 1978 to work with the earlier wagons. The last new build VB wagons put into revenue use on BR. I was fortunate to catch a few at Radstock wagon works OOU in 1985.

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hmrspaul said:

Wasn't the code Insulfish only used for the GWR design, BR built 6 wheel fish vans?

Paul

The six-wheel jobbies were 'INSUL-X-FISH'; oddly, most ended up on the Scottish Region. The four-wheelers were 'INSUL-FISH'; just checked in the relevant Larkin NPCCS book.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photo’s which are full of interest and nostalgia. What a fine view in J7566, at Alnmouth, with a disc head code class 40, on a down freight, in August, 1981. Others more knowledgeable have clearly got the train fully identified. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

C3053, for a few seconds I thought that might be me on the bridge (far right); but I don't think 'he' is wearing jeans, and I doubt I wore anything but jeans in those days. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Severn Valley Railway photo’s which are full of interest and show how things have changed on that line over the succeeding years. I particularly like the last one, J7207, at Bewdley, with Ivatt class 5MT, 43106, on a Bridgnorth to Bewdley train, in August, 1980. Always good to see the sole surviving Flying Pig.

The photo’s of Kings  Cross show how electrification changed the appearance and atmosphere of it.  They are a very good selection which I’ve enjoyed seeing. What a maze of masts and wires as Deltic 55015, arrives on a York to Kings Cross train in July, 1979, in that last photo’.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

J6639 - does the VR on the front of the Volks car stand for Virgin Rail?

(as the driver is holding a (steering?) wheel, and ole Beardie said the driver of the Pendolino that crashed steered his train in a straight line).

Stewart

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

The little loco units in J6636 (Sept'79) must have been a fairly standard design. I've photographed these disused ones in Rhyl (a good 25 minutes walk from the sea front though).

FVsUnsa.jpg

I much prefer the Jigsaw Train!

A firm cally Jelly Models do some incredibly tight radius tracks.

Eeeek, that centre loco looks like Charlie the Choo Choo from Stephen King's dark Tower series.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=charlie+the+choo+choo&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=hulgF2GTaXDvHM%3A%2CRGbIry1FwlBi3M%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kSWt8Rk1KVJ7UHcJYrXm44WCW4sfw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwib8pHygsHhAhUkSBUIHVMyB7QQ9QEwAXoECAcQBg#imgrc=hulgF2GTaXDvHM:

Edited by JeffP
It posted without my comment.
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like today’s photo’s which start at Victoria and go via Lewes to Brighton. All are full interest and the Lewes photo’ is a real gem. It’s not very often you come across a photo’ from 1951 in colour. 

At Brighton, in J6636, of the Childrens Pleasure beach railway, in September, 1979, the curves are a bit sharp, and I’m not sure you’d be able to reproduce them in a model. ;)

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, stewartingram said:

J6639 - does the VR on the front of the Volks car stand for Virgin Rail?

(as the driver is holding a (steering?) wheel, and ole Beardie said the driver of the Pendolino that crashed steered his train in a straight line).

Stewart

Swiss trains have steering wheels as well:

hqdefault.jpg

It must be all those sharp bends:)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 3

19 hours ago, melmerby said:

Swiss trains have steering wheels as well:

hqdefault.jpg

It must be all those sharp bends:)

Sorry to move OT, Dave, but worth telling. One of the things I've had to do is show visitors, usually father and son, around the footplate. 2968's reverser is a wheel, and if I had a pound for every dad who said, 'And that, son, is how you steer it!' . . .

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I .ike the Radcliffe on Trent photo’s which are full of interest. In particular J6387, of a class 120 DMU on a Skegness to Nottingham service in January, 1979, captures so perfectly just how cold and snowy it was in that grim winter. The leading cab has developed a distinctive pattern from the extremely cold conditions.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good to see the pictures of Radcliffe and Cotgrave. The trouble is that seeing pictures of the Cotgrave line reminds me just how old I am as I remember the line and colliery being built  in 1960.

A friend's father was a miner there and I find it difficult to believe that something like that, which I saw being built, and was lauded as the latest and best of it's type (the colliery), has now been gone for over 25 years. It seemed very futuristic and modern at the time.

Your pictures, as always, stir the memories and thought processes, Thank you.

• Thanks 1