Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Steamtown was a good venue you could have a good wander without to much of don't go there pity it closed down but life moves on ,went on a trip in the seventies and changed trains at Carnforth whilst waiting we saw two blokes on a track trolley belting up and down good entertainment.

• RMweb Premium

Love the picture of the 3 Pecketts at Carnforth, though the far loco is Hawthron Leslie 'Faraday', works number 3793/b1932 (I think, maybe someone can confirm)

The centre one named 'John' is Peckett 1976/b1939.  By 1986, it had been restored and was the main passenger service engine at the Gloucestershire & Warwickshire Rly for the 1987/8 seasons.  It later did work at the Cholsey & Wallingford before its ticket ran out and the boiler needed serious work (there is a photo here http://www.philt.org.uk/Industrial/Ind-Steam/i-N7mspv5 after the ticket had run out of it back at Toddington).  The loco is still in the shed at Toddington and the chassis is well advanced while work on the boiler progresses.

I think the nearest loco is Peckett 1370/b1915 which is now restored (and I believe operational) on the East Lancs Rly.

BTW - Superb photos, keep em coming.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's of Carnforth, and also of Winning. I also particularly like the view of the 37 in the snow of '84. It and the hopper wagons make quite a contrast with the clean snow! Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see the 37,s isn't there a plan to put passengers back on these lines or will lack of cash stymy it?

It has been talked about for many years!

David

The photo c14064 with the 56 on the hoppers, whilst these hoppers were only build in the 70's IIRC they were unfitted. So you can see the brake van at the rear if you look closely. I believe this was the last unfitted train to run in the uk.

It was indeed.  I don't remember the extension to Mallaig - perhaps that was the one which went to Fort William in the first photo.  I went on a number of their trips - they also did Blaenau Ffestiniog and London if I remember correctly.

I'd forgotten the name but I knew it had Horticultural somewhere in it.

Thanks,

David

You do remember correctly! The two you mention were memorable because they were the only ones we had bother with. Drunks on the London one and the Class 40 on the train in front of us up the Conway valley having problems resulting in both train loads of passengers having to squeeze on to one Ffestiniog train down to Portmadoc and back. WE also did WBHS trips to Stranraer with a cruise up the Clyde to Troon, and  Aviemore. There must have been others but its getting on for 30 years ago and I'm having trouble remembering what I did last week , never mind that far back.

While I think on Dave, we also had an extended trip on the Oban excursion in that from Edinburgh Scotrail had only laid on 1 37 for the 12 coach special so we struggled a bit over the banks. Was it this trip that got back late to Edinburgh and made a special stop at Berwick to set down some travellers wh o had got on the train at Edinburgh by mistake?

Ernie

Edited by Irishswissernie

• RMweb Gold

You do remember correctly! The two you mention were memorable because they were the only ones we had bother with. Drunks on the London one and the Class 40 on the train in front of us up the Conway valley having problems resulting in both train loads of passengers having to squeeze on to one Ffestiniog train down to Portmadoc and back. WE also did WBHS trips to Stranraer with a cruise up the Clyde to Troon, and  Aviemore. There must have been others but its getting on for 30 years ago and I'm having trouble remembering what I did last week , never mind that far back.

While I think on Dave, we also had an extended trip on the Oban excursion in that from Edinburgh Scotrail had only laid on 1 37 for the 12 coach special so we struggled a bit over the banks. Was it this trip that got back late to Edinburgh and made a special stop at Berwick to set down some travellers wh o had got on the train at Edinburgh by mistake?

Ernie

I'd forgotten about the single 37, and I think you are right about the special stop at Berwick.

David

This is the Flickr set for the Fort William Trip 11 May 85

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/sets/72157626979655495/

131 photos if you can actually get Flickr to work; its very slow today! I don't recall there being a Mallaig extension option - we wandered up to the hill overlooking the depot. I do remember that the shop near the station short changed me 1p just as he had back in 1970 pre-decimalisation on my first trip, 140% inflation in 15 years!

Ernie

Edited by Irishswissernie

Love the picture of the 3 Pecketts at Carnforth, though the far loco is Hawthron Leslie 'Faraday', works number 3793/b1932 (I think, maybe someone can confirm)

Looks to be 'Faraday' - about the turn of the 70s a friend and I were in Newport to visit Cashmores scrapyard and noticed a plume of smoke and steam across the river.

We hastily crossed George St. bridge and saw 'Faraday' standing near a level crossing - so, casting care to the wind walked along the track to take a look.

The driver poked his head out of the cab and instead of giving us an earful told us to come back Monday morning and we'd have a ride.

Monday morning found us waiting near the level crossing and along came 'Faraday' and, true to his word, the driver took us around to the exchnage sidings to watch the South Wales Pullman pass, collect a few wagons and then took us back to Coverack Road.

Thanks Dave for posting the photo, it tugged at the heart strings !

Brian R

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

A few for the afternoon.

In August 2003 I was having a short break in Grange over Sands and one wet day found myself in Ulverston.  I did a bit of window shopping and ended up in a camera shop.

When I left the shop I'd bought my first digital camera, a Canon A70, state of the art back then, 3MP, with a full set of manual controls - shutter and aperture priority etc.  Also a supply of AA batteries to start with plus a set of rechargables and a charger.

Within a month I'd stopped using slide film.

The reults are nothing like as good as current digital compacts but I still enjoy looking at them - and once I'd paid for the camera taking photos cost almost nothing - what a change from film!

These are a few of the photos taken in the first few days.

post-5613-0-92131600-1408972387_thumb.jpg

Haverthwaite August 2003

post-5613-0-47024700-1408972393_thumb.jpg

Haverthwaite No 150 August 2003

post-5613-0-73481800-1408972397_thumb.jpg

Silverdale Class 175 up pass August 2003

post-5613-0-78165400-1408972382_thumb.jpg

Arnside 175109 up pass August 2003

post-5613-0-92169400-1408972377_thumb.jpg

Arnside 158759 down pass August 2003

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifSilverdale Class 175 up pass August 2003.jpg

Silverdale Class 175 up pass August 2003

attachicon.gifArnside 175109 up pass Auust 2003.jpg

Arnside 175109 up pass Auust 2003

David

Blimey - over 10 years back to the 175 in First North Western colours on the South Cumbrian Coast line............... Is it that long ago?

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Superb photo's of Haverthwaite, August, 2003. Then we have some remarkably atmospheric winter photo's of Skipton in January, 1967. The ones of Skipton are beautifully lit by the Sun, and with a bit of frost left on the ground, give a good sharpness to them. The locomotives are characteristically worn looking, and uncared for, with rustiness and general dirtiness about them. Even the class 101 DMU is grimy and sooty looking. Please keep these outstanding photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

I keep hitting the like “button”, it’s about time, again, to say how much I’m enjoying your photos from “over the pond”! Of course you already know that I particularly like anything that could end up at Liverpool Street Station...

Best regards, Pete.

Re:- J742 above.

The ex-GWR opens branded  "LOCOSX" at Skipton.

Would this branding be similar to 'SUBEX' and 'COLEX'

i.e.

Condemn once ' expensive ' repairs become necessary ?

Brian R

Judging by the condition of the wagons, it seems likely- once emptied, these wagons might well have been broken up at the shed, and used to provide lighting-up wood, fence palings and so on. I remember seeing lots of wagons branded similarly in the sidings next to Llanelly shed back in 1964-5. 'Loco coal- one journey only' was another branding. There was lots of bauxite and grey fencing around Machynys and Seaside for years afterwards..

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Re:- J742 above.

The ex-GWR opens branded  "LOCOSX" at Skipton.

Would this branding be similar to 'SUBEX' and 'COLEX'

i.e.

Condemn once ' expensive ' repairs become necessary ?

Brian R

Normally monetary limits were applied at grading but the usual procedure, certainly by the early '70s, was that wagons would be stood aside to wait a change in the limits (hence Roath Branch Jcn was full of various types of wagon). I suspect the painted coding effectively meant 'if repair cost is above limits scrap immediately instead of holding pending a change in the limits'.

At the date of the pic above I wouldn't be surprised if the limit on opens was less than £1 - I was told at Cathays that it was down to 5s/25p on some wagon types by the early 1970s but I think that was for cost of material only and excluded labour.

• RMweb Gold

A few more photos from the Cumbrian coast line this afternoon.  This time they are from  July 2004.

post-5613-0-31319300-1409059315_thumb.jpg

Seascale Class 156 up pass 27th July 2004 IMG_4185

Taken from the hotel bedroom window, hence the slight reflection.

post-5613-0-32376100-1409059311_thumb.jpg

Seascale Class 156 down pass 27th July 2004 IMG_4188

post-5613-0-92906900-1409059319_thumb.jpg

Seascale station from the north 27th July 2004 IMG_4198

post-5613-0-07396000-1409059294_thumb.jpg

Foxfield 29th July 2004 IMG_4254

post-5613-0-58091700-1409059298_thumb.jpg

Foxfield 29th July 2004 IMG_4256

post-5613-0-89053800-1409059302_thumb.jpg

Foxfield 29th July 2004 IMG_4258

post-5613-0-09874300-1409059307_thumb.jpg

Foxfield 29th July 2004 IMG_4260

David

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

J735 - the Brit. That must have been one of the last steam hauled 'expresses' on the old Midland?

What atmosphere at Skipton.....lovely. Bit different today but still interesting (was there recently when Le Grand Depart was coming to town; station was stuffed, especially after the 'race' had gone through).

Phil