Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

You are spoiling us again Dave!

Class 20 anorak time though. J1568 - I suspect isn't D8156 - see https://www.flickr.com/photos/tibshelf/5842655030/in/photolist-9Ui8My-pNb7EZ-9rncvU-fLRNdw-fL29nP-q49ATL-9rjb7X-9vdL4j-hijdk8-8dsPEv-fLzeQx-gSm3c8-bENQ8v-4zV8ve-NehbX-aZNwWn-pKyyu1was GFYE in 1970 post dating your picture.

Is the terminal digit a 7 - 8187 or 8197 perhaps? - looks like one of the batch delivered in blue

Cheers

Phil

Many thanks for the information Phil, I've deleted part of the number until I can try to work it out, but the original scan is not really clear enough.

I've just had a look at Dad's notes, it looks as though it was a photo where he tried to work out the number from the slide, he sometimes got them wrong.

The single class 20 and two brake vans is a lovely picture and the train very much lends itself to the 'going away' composition. I'm guessing you took a picture of the train as it approached as well, and then looking at the resulting pictures subsequently decided that the 'going away' shot was the more interesting of the two?

Andy,

As I've just mentioned above this was one of Dad's photos, I've had a look in his slide catalogue and he didn't take a photo coming towards him - I suspect it "crept up on him" from behind.  I've had a quick look through my photos taken that month and have realised I would have been in Manchester  so I don't know anything more about it.

C206. D4.

Mixed train due to the sheeted minerals further back.

Mike.

Mike,

Many thanks for that, I must remember to actually look at the image when I caption it, not rely entirely on my notes!

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Just catching up on this excellent thread. There was some comments a couple of pages back about the late use of brake tenders which reminded me of this photo. The date is approximately correct, the loco received flush headcodes in June 1976. Not sure if it is some kind of engineering train or a revenue earning train?

16195324432_542d1c0c19_o.jpgBritish Railways 46003 Bristol Parkway 1977 by brizzle born and bred, on Flickr

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Wow a 46 with a brake tender? thought it would have had enough weight itself!

Train in view consists of grampuses (or is that grampii??) so most likely an engineering working

Smashing shot many thanks for sharing

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's really interesting about the brake tenders. When I was researching these for a kit build I was doing a couple of years ago (PDK, Gresley Bogie type) I read that the propelling of them was stopped after about 1964! Obviously incorrect! Or maybe not...maybe someone can come up with the info?

The link shot in jonny777's post is remarkable.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

That's really interesting about the brake tenders. When I was researching these for a kit build I was doing a couple of years ago (PDK, Gresley Bogie type) I read that the propelling of them was stopped after about 1964! Obviously incorrect! Or maybe not...maybe someone can come up with the info?

The link shot in jonny777's post is remarkable.

Phil

Not quite so incorrect Phil.  I haven't checked the date that the Instruction applied from but it was very definitely the case in 1972 - and subsequently as far as I can ascertain - the propelling of brake tenders was prohibited except when shunting.  I can't find any WR exemptions from that Instruction from a quick look but it is possible that some Regions did apply such an exemption - most likely in conjunction with a restriction of speed.

On looking carefuly at the Bristol Parkway picture I see that the 'train' is on the Up Main line so it could feasibly be a shunting move (but it might not be?).

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great selection of GE photo's tonight. Two good ones of 47 hauled trains in those first two photo's, and then a very sad and sorry sight with the sidings at Eight Ash Green sidings (Stanway) and the redundant class 306 EMU's.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Just catching up on this excellent thread. There was some comments a couple of pages back about the late use of brake tenders which reminded me of this photo. The date is approximately correct, the loco received flush headcodes in June 1976. Not sure if it is some kind of engineering train or a revenue earning train?

16195324432_542d1c0c19_o.jpgBritish Railways 46003 Bristol Parkway 1977 by brizzle born and bred, on Flickr

Eerm that's a slide I bought earlier this year with full copyright! I've posted it in the brake tender and my detailing thread,

Edit : rather than start an extended debate on copyright issues spoiling Dave's fine thread I've posted on this subject in my detailing thread

Edit edit Flickr have removed the image - here it is I approve the copyright!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/61530-downendian-details/?p=1728150

Neilpost-6925-0-74288200-1425060565_thumb.jpg

Edited by Downendian

• RMweb Gold

These photos this morning are really something in the way of a test to see how well very early digital photos display.  They were taken with a Canon A70, a then state of the art 3Mp camera in August 2003.  I bought it on a wet day in Ulverston when I happened to park near a camera shop, went in and came out with a camera.  The first three of the Haverthwaite photos were taken straight after unpacking the camera, before reading the instructions fully.

After that holiday I gave up on slide film and took only digital photos.

post-5613-0-54983300-1425030726_thumb.jpg

Haverthwaite 42073 Aug 2003.

post-5613-0-90605600-1425030721_thumb.jpg

Haverthwaite Aug 2003

post-5613-0-06654300-1425030735_thumb.jpg

543970:Haverthwaite in rain Aug 2003

post-5613-0-88129400-1425030730_thumb.jpg

Haverthwaite Aug 2003

post-5613-0-13423100-1425030717_thumb.jpg

Arnside 175109 up Aug 2003

There will be the usual photos later today, from somewhere in the north east, as well.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 19

What makes me smile is that you could come out of a shop and take photos.

Nowadays, you'd need to choose your storage card, buy one, then charge the camera batteries.....

Nice pics anyway.

These photos this morning are really something in the way of a test to see how well very early digital photos display.  They were taken with a Canon A70, a then state of the art 3Mp camera in August 2003.  I bought it on a wet day in Ulverston when I happened to park near a camera shop, went in and came out with a camera.  The first three of the Haverthwaite photos were taken straight after unpacking the camera, before reading the instructions fully.

After that holiday I gave up on slide film and took only digital photos.

David

I did almost the same thing, only in April 2003, with an Olympus digital camera (5mp I think it was).

I took it to Saltley and snapped a few locos, uploaded the results to the laptop, that I had hidden under my car seat for safety, and snapped a few more.

I also gave up on slide film at that point, mainly because digital had suddenly become so convenient.

Here is one from that day

post-4474-0-75769400-1425039667_thumb.jpg

I think that it stands the test of time.

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's. In C14448, at South Bank, on 12th May, 1990, I see that the number on the front of 37 378 has had to have the 8 lowered to make way for the former central headcode box. I wonder if whoever applied the numbers started just that bit too high up?

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

Some photos of BR Standard Class 4 4-6-0s on the Grassington branch today, towards the end of steam.

attachicon.gifa Skipton BR Class 4 75015 shunting Grassington goods Jan 67 J750.jpg

Skipton BR Class 4 75015 shunting Grassington goods Jan 67 J750

attachicon.gifg Rylstone BR Class 4 75015 up goods April 66 J484.jpg

Rylstone BR Class 4 75015 up goods April 66 J484

attachicon.gifj Cracoe BR Class 4 75015 up goods April 66 J480.jpg

Cracoe BR Class 4 75015 up goods April 66 J480

attachicon.gifm Grassington BR Class 4 75021 in green July 67 J0945.jpg

Grassington BR Class 4 75021 in green July 67 J0945

attachicon.gifm Grassington Class 4 75039 Aug 65 J294.jpg

Grassington Class 4 75039 Aug 65 J294

David

J0945: Really?

Indeed. She was originally a WR loco., and some four months previously, had the melancholy honour of hauling the last down "Cambrian Coast Express", on 4th. March, from Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth. By then, of course, the Cambrian lines had been appropriated by the LMR (boo!). 75033 in black livery (another boo!) handled the last up service. Wipes tear from eye.

Cheers,

BR(W).