Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

I was given but later parted with a very good book on the railways of Whitehaven. I think this is it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Whitehaven-Railways-Waggonways-Unique-Cumberland/dp/0954023250?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197300960&sr=8-1

And I loved that departure board (if that is not an understatement) at Glasgow Central. Is it still there?

Jonathan

Edited by corneliuslundie

• RMweb Premium

I was given but later parted with a very good book on the railways of Whitehaven. I think this is it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Whitehaven-Railways-Waggonways-Unique-Cumberland/dp/0954023250?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197300960&sr=8-1

And I loved that departure board (if that is not an understatement) at Glasgow Central. Is it still there?

Jonathan

There is a very good second hand bookshop in Whitehaven, has lots of local books and railway books, I picked up a book on the colliery railway when I last visited.

• RMweb Premium

Jonathan

Sadly, the departure board has gone, now, and houses a Weatherspoons.

The alll singing, all dancing LED monstrosity which replaced it frequently suffers from the measles. (I think that it, too, may have gone)

Regards

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Glasgow Central photo's. That's a station which I have not been to, but hope to in future times. The photo's show a station with a great looking roof, and long and sweeping platforms which must have inspired many travellers over the years. It's good to see the class 107 and 116 DMU's and the class 311 Blue Train EMU's.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hello Dave, yes, Glasgow Central was/is a superb station and I well remember the wooden departure board. I visited a number of times in the late 70's and early 80's and I felt the place had more 'atmosphere' than either Queen Street or Edinburgh Waverly when we visited from the Midlands on spotting trips or when I was traveling for work. (The latter usually involved the sleeper from BNS and changing for a 'local' service to various ports on the Clyde! Thanks for re-kindling the memories!! Andy

• RMweb Premium

"Sadly, the departure board has gone, now, and houses a Weatherspoons."

Presumably we are supposed to class this as progress.

Mind you there could have been a nice competition to find a name for the pub - "The train just departed" perhaps.

Jonathan

I agree Glasgow Central is a very pleasant station its light and airy and very easy to navigate even down below on the surburban platforms going to Exhibition.The services are extremely good especially the pasty sales unit and of course Weatherspoons ,also the whole place is cleaner than in the photos.

• RMweb Gold

C4092 is it some kind of ECS working? A 6 coach train but seems to have an RKB and BG in the middle.

C4425 I like the presumably ancient trespass sign, North Eastern Railway?

I suspect that C4092 with the 31 is an ecs - possibly coaches destined for Doncaster Works.

The trespass notice is a Great Northern Railway example.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What an excellent set of photos from the ECML. In C4425, the Deltic may well be 55014. There seems to be a four as the last digit of the number, and the nameplate is a double line example. So just maybe The Duke Of Wellington's Regiment it is.

That 31 hauled train has to be ECS as stated. It really cannot be anything else.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I suspect that C4092 with the 31 is an ecs - possibly coaches destined for Doncaster Works.

In the mid-70s there was a regular down weekday ECS working during the early afternoon (5L30). I'm not sure whether it continued beyond 1976, as I don't have any records of it - but, then again, I was working full time by then!

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway. The first photo of the Fairburn 4MTT reminds me of the former Wrenn BR 4MTT model that they put in that livery, and it looked very good.

The photos of the L.T.& S. R. are a great reminder of a railway getting the basics right and moving thousands of passengers back and forth each day. The class 302 EMU's were a good and solid class of unit which clearly got the work done, and it's all so well caught in your lovely photos.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the GE photo's. Especially J4305 of 37090. That's a photo' which is full of detail which will be of use for those modelling such details. The parcels train hauled by a class 31 in J4377 is just crying out to be modelled.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

A not so good view of Manningtree box diagram. I believe there will be a detailed photo in due course.

post-4034-0-27330200-1503344745_thumb.jpeg

I wonder if this colourlight was actually like this?

post-4034-0-43866800-1503344776_thumb.jpg

The way it is drawn implies that reading from the bottom it was red, green then yellow. All others are drawn red, yellow, green.

• Like 2