Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the L.T.& S.R. photo's. There are a good variety of scenes, and the ferries are particularly superb. I hope that there may be more photos of the ferries yet to come.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Agree looks like a couple wearing suits and a good variety of bobble hats also adjustment done by eye of track panels definitely a time gone by.

C3179 - looks like that is a manual lift, pairs lifting a rail into position. Probably would never even be considered an option these days.

The guy in the donkey jacket is part hi-viz and must be a sparky judging by the flash on his back. Guessing the balding guy is the supervisor as he appears to be the only one in proper overalls and seems to be overseeing the lift. Photos like this are great because to most they were considered too mundane.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Hademore and Lichfield photos. In particular the last photo is most interesting, and it must be either early morning or late afternoon going by the lighting.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The Class 44 in J5034/J5035 is 44009 (D9 'Snowdon') - it was fitted with a replacement nose at one end after a collision in 1969, so had discs at one end & a 4-character headcode panel at the other.

Kevin

I 'copped' all my 44's by simply counting the visible disc headcode ends when passing through Toton on Adex trains at a weekend.

Took a couple of attempts though, No.9 must've been parked 'wrong way' on the first go.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I know what you are saying Mark, there were some very odd livery choices back then, red LMS 2MTs both tank and tender, M&GN brown railbuses and more line own liveries than you could shake a stick at.

Would be like an LNER 31 today

• RMweb Gold

BR imposed restrictions on painting engines in BR livery, so alternatives had to be sought. Thy were not always, if ever, a good choice, unfortunately.

I didn't know that,was it always imposed as the Q6 was BR black for some time also A4 60009 was always BR

LMS black on the fairburn would have looked better than blue

ave been on the Lakeside a few times and always enjoyed my trip locos and stock kept in good condition and staff friendly ,one visit we were in the café at Windemere and  a Tornado flew past at the same height as we were sitting.a bit unnerving!

• RMweb Gold

I was once on a bus between Bewdley and Hereford passing over the side of Clee Hill when one roared past about 150 feet below us. from behind.  The noise was awesome.

The other memorable thing about this ride was that the driver had never been beyond Ludlow before and I acted as 'pilotman' for him.  About 1985.

The Class 44 in J5034/J5035 is 44009 (D9 'Snowdon') - it was fitted with a replacement nose at one end after a collision in 1969, so had discs at one end & a 4-character headcode panel at the other.

Kevin

Also easily recognisable by the ribbed long bodyside grills.

• RMweb Premium

J3925 It'll be an inter-regional service as it has 'S' for the destination letter. If it was an internal ScR train it would have 'A' for Aberdeen.

EDIT: from Napier Chronicles

1S77 23:15 King's Cross - Aberdeen, "The Night Capitals"

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Premium

J3846

What a wonderful combination of signals.+

I assume the bracket to the left is on goods only lines so why full size?

Don't let anyone tell you the signals on your layout are too close together!

Cheers

keith

• RMweb Gold

J3846

What a wonderful combination of signals.+

I assume the bracket to the left is on goods only lines so why full size?

Don't let anyone tell you the signals on your layout are too close together!

Cheers

keith

The left most line went to Fairlie Pier station