Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

In‌vershin Aug 73 J3309

With Carbisdale Castle youth hostel in the background. I suspect I'm not the only one to have stayed there on Freedom of Scotland jaunts, or to have illicitly walked across the viaduct to the pub on the other side - after consulting the timetable of course...

Edited by stovepipe

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Scottish photos. Those sleeping car trains are something which are not seen too often. Good to see those ex - LMS design cars too. The bridge in the first photo, at Invershin, is a great design of bridge, which has clearly lasted well.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

In‌vershin Aug 73 J3309

With Culrain Castle youth hostel in the background. I suspect I'm not the only one to have stayed there on Freedom of Scotland jaunts, or to have illicitly walked across the viaduct to the pub on the other side - after consulting the timetable of course...

I stayed at the pub in 1987, at that time there was a path alongside be railway line over the bridge, I tried walking across it but looked down at the wrong time and saw the water about 100' below; scared me sh!tless, so I turned back. :(

The first set for today are from Steamtown, as it was then, at Carnforth in the 1970s.

attachicon.gifCarnforth Barclay Toby ex British Gypsum Feb 73 C1182.jpg

Carnforth Barclay Toby ex British Gypsum Feb 73 C1182

David

Hi David,

I think you may find this loco is David from Millom Iron works (new to them) and is now at Haverthwaite https://www.lakesiderailway.co.uk/2333-david-barclay/

I am loving your thread, keep up the goodwork

Kind regards

Ian

Edited by 11B

• RMweb Gold

Hi David,

I think you may find this loco is David from Millom Iron works (new to them) and is now at Haverthwaite https://www.lakesiderailway.co.uk/2333-david-barclay/

I am loving your thread, keep up the goodwork

Kind regards

Ian

Ian,

Thanks for pointing that out.  You are quite right, when I looked at the original scan the nameplate is clearly David.  I've no idea why I wrote the wrong name in my slide catalogue some 44 years ago.

Thanks too for the comment about the thread.  Hopefully there will be more photos to come.

David

Another trip to Scotland today with one photo at Invershin, north of Inverness. 

The remainder are around Inverness.

attachicon.gifIn‌vershin Aug 73 J3309.jpg

In‌vershin Aug 73 J3309

attachicon.gifInverness snowploughs Aug 74 J3907.jpg

Inverness snowploughs Aug 74 J3907

attachicon.gifInverness Milburn Junction 2 Clas 26 Inverness to Euston Royal Highlander Aug 73 J3283.jpg

Inverness Milburn Junction 2 Class 26 Inverness to Euston Royal Highlander Aug 73 J3283

attachicon.gifInverness Milburn Junction Class 40 Invernes to Euston Aug 76 J5395.jpg

Inverness Milburn Junction Class 40 Invernes to Euston Aug 76 J5395

attachicon.gifInverness Milburn Junction 2x Class 26 sleeper Euston to Inverness Aug 76 J5396.jpg

Inverness Milburn Junction 2x Class 26 sleeper Euston to Inverness Aug 76 J5396

David

The last two on here are from summer 76.  I travelled (as a 10 yr old) with my parents on the motor-rail from York to Inverness, then drove out to Ullapool and over to Lewis & Harris.  About the only thing I remember about Inverness at the time, was the major construction work for the A9 and the Kessok Bridge, well shown in your photos.

Of course, 1976 was the year of the great heatwave - NOT in the Western Isles, though.  It rained pretty much every day for the fortnight we were there!

Now, 40 years later Inverness is (almost) my local town (only 125 miles away!), and the A9 is well blended in with the scenery...

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Nottinghamshire photos. In J3661, Of Bestwood Junction, it was a fascinating scene of pointwork and semaphore signals. Also an abandoned bridge. I can only assume it is totally changed today. A nice view of Linby, in the last one, with 20070, and a Volkswagen Beetle. It also shows how the weather had changed from the long hot summer of that year.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

I actually had to look this up on a map, it is the correct location.  

It's certainly changed since Dad and I used to visit there from time to time.

It must be 40 years since I last drove across that bridge, at one time it was only a few miles from home.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Those wooden wagons are either pushed hard against a bufferstop or have had the springs on their buffers removed, as the heads are hard against the housings. Did they run round as dumb-buffered for some reason?

Andy G

Those wooden wagons are either pushed hard against a bufferstop or have had the springs on their buffers removed, as the heads are hard against the housings. Did they run round as dumb-buffered for some reason?

Andy G

Just like me when I'm shunting on the layout - "I'll get another wagon in if I put them hard up against the buffer stop..."

At least 3 of the 4 Nottinghamashire photo's would have trams in them if a current picture was taken.

Mike.

Slightly pedantic but Cinderhill pit was actually called Babbington pit, the very small village of that name being several miles away between Awsworth, Cossall and Kimberley, only about 20 houses.

• RMweb Gold

Slightly pedantic but Cinderhill pit was actually called Babbington pit, the very small village of that name being several miles away between Awsworth, Cossall and Kimberley, only about 20 houses.

Thanks Mike,

I'd forgotten that - I'm sure I knew it when I was young.

David

J3427

Nice pair of wooden framed wagons (going for scrap?)

I wonder how old they are and whose name was on the side when they were new?

Excellent photos again Dave.

Keith

They appear to be in conventional NCB internal use, and in good conditions. Years from scrapping?

J3708 - interesting to see a solo Izal Palvan diag 1/221. Perhaps in use as a barrier for the tank wagons?

Paul

and still with a lion & wheel emblem in 1974 ............. that has to be 40106 ??

English Electric Archive reports that 'a handful' of 40s were still in green in 1978, when 40 106 was repainted into green rather than corporate Blue at its overhaul. Unfortunately for your assertion, the loco in J3708 has a central headcode panel (which limits it to D345-99), 40 106 (D306) has discs...

Edited by talisman56