Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

16 hours ago, melmerby said:

Complete with a public right of way from Lancashire proper to "over the sands"

Although it's a public right of way, it's strongly recommended not to venture out there without the official guide, who organises walks across the bay. We did it a few years back, fascinating and slightly scary when you come to the quicksand. 

They used to drive a coach and horses across in coaching days - mostly successfully - but you only need go back to the cockle-pickers disaster of a few years ago to understand the dangers.

Bing maps OS map link showing the warning printed on the map.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I think the seats at Grange are pretty safe, being of Furness railway design - not sure if they are originals - and much loved. Th station is, rightly, Grade II listed and according to Wikipedia "The station was awarded 'Heritage Station of the Year' in 2012".

Jonathan

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, DaveF said:

A visit to Hartelepool today on the coast line south from Sunderland.

The 1987 photos were taken just after thick sea fret lifted from the station area, the docks only a few yards away were still shrouded in thick fog.

It's taken some time to upload the images but it has worked - eventually.

299928096_Hartlepool143005NewcastletoMiddlesbrough29thJuly86C7683.jpg.aacb9f58d26cd40fc7f0da5cad85e721.jpg

Hartlepool 143005 Newcastle to Middlesbrough 29th July 86 C7683.jpg

825249327_HartlepoolClass101HartlepooltoDarlington17thApril87C8298.jpg.756d657fe8701def1bbb9836317a2e37.jpg

Hartlepool Class 101 Hartlepool to Darlington 17th April 87 C8298.jpg

756045035_Hartlepool17thApril87C8300.jpg.9bb88f848edc9cf08be4a8fd0101ba57.jpg

Hartlepool 17th April 87 C8300.jpg

59745103_Hartlepool17thApril87C8301.jpg.cfb26484f07d09cfd8ad3b16d2642c56.jpg

Hartlepool 17th April 87 C8301

1128502204_Hartlepool143011MiddlesbroughtoNewcastle17thApril87C8303.jpg.dfcf37f4d3b489cd99346395e471a331.jpg

Hartlepool 143011 Middlesbrough to Newcastle 17th April 87 C8303.jpg

David

Nice shots of Hartlepool Dave, thanks for sharing. Takes me back to the late 70s when I was attached to one of the S&T Installation gangs based in York, we spent a good few months in the area installing new cabling (IIRC 19 star quad) all the way from Hartlepool to Sunderland. Ah, happy days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Hartlepool photo’s which show how the station and the trains serving it were at the time of the photo’s. In C8298, with a class 101 DMU on a Hartlepool to Darlington service, on the 17th April, 1987, there’s a nice flurry of exhaust as the unit departs the station.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photo’s from north of Grantham. A splendid set which really capture so perfectly how things were back in the 1970’s. 

I think I need to ask a question about the last photo’. In both of the BSO’s one door to the guards van can be seen to be open. Was this a standard practice as laid down in the rule book, or something else?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photo’s from north of Grantham. A splendid set which really capture so perfectly how things were back in the 1970’s. 

I think I need to ask a question about the last photo’. In both of the BSO’s one door to the guards van can be seen to be open. Was this a standard practice as laid down in the rule book, or something else?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Rob,

I'd never even noticed that the doors were open.

I cannot find any other photos with doors open like that.

At first I wondered if it was a scanning artefact but the black follows the shape of the tumblehome so it can't be.

I wonder if anyone knows the answer.

David

• Thanks 1

C4088 looks like 55 014 to me, David.

I'm not sure about J6142 either. At a higher magnification the numbers look too rounded for it to be 47 511 - BICBW. 511 was, also, a Western Region loco and, whilst "foreign" Brush 4s weren't all that rare on the ECML earlier in the decade (when depots would tend to use anything that they had to hand), by 1978 it would be very unusual to see what was, then, a Landore loco.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure it wasn't allowed then, just as much as it wouldn't be allowed now, but are the open inward opening doors leading directly into the guards compartment, so helping to keep it cool? Obviously it wouldn't be on the corridor side (too much risk of someone falling out), but I can remember travelling on a DMU where the inward opening door was open inside the (locked) cage...

Andy G

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photo’s going towards Edinburgh. So interesting and nostalgic. The last one at Portobello, C8926, on the 11th, August, 1987, shows that there were at least three class 110 TSL’s in one of the sidings in the background. I know that the 3 car 110’s were being reduced to two cars by then, and I wonder if that’s where the TSL’s ended up prior to scrapping?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

Hi Dave

Definitely home territory today. I was born at Drem farm behind the station in 1948 and have lived in the area ever since.

The station was listed but due to a misreading of the documents the down side shelter was accidentally demolished and had to be rebuilt about 1990.

The sight of a 26 on hoppers at Cockenzie Power Station was a familiar one.

This is fairly close to the track bed of the Tranent and Cockenzie Wagonway is close by.This was one of the first railways in Scotland and may have been the inspiration for an early Wagonway in Australia through the Caddell family of Cockenzie,one of who settled near Adelaide and planned the line which is now a preserved railway on 5ft 3 in gauge.(The Steam Ranger,Victor Harbour ,South Australia)

Edited by Steamysandy
More info
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Market65 said:

...shows that there were at least three class 110 TSL’s in one of the sidings in the background. I know that the 3 car 110’s were being reduced to two cars by then, and I wonder if that’s where the TSL’s ended up prior to scrapping?

I know you know your DMU vehicles Rob - I'd have assumed that they were cl.104 vehicles as they were used in the area - what marks them out as cl.110? (exotic stock that I was chuffed to see first hand in Scarborough & York in 1983. I was aware of the Hornby DMU and from when I first got 'Motive Power Recognition 3 - DMUs' in 1982

Edited by keefer
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photo’s going towards Edinburgh. So interesting and nostalgic. The last one at Portobello, C8926, on the 11th, August, 1987, shows that there were at least three class 110 TSL’s in one of the sidings in the background. I know that the 3 car 110’s were being reduced to two cars by then, and I wonder if that’s where the TSL’s ended up prior to scrapping?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

A number of Class 110 trailers were transferred to Scotland (Haymarket) around this time when Scotland was a destination for all sorts of DMU odds-and-ends, presumably due to late deliveries of Sprinters, or problems with those already delivered.

I can remember being at Edinburgh Waverley with a school friend, who is also on RMWeb, and seeing a Class 47 hauling four or five Class 110 trailers through the station and heading towards HA.

• Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, keefer said:

I know you know your DMU vehicles Rob - I'd have assumed that they were cl.104 vehicles as they were used in the area - what marks them out as cl.110? (exotic stock that I was chuffed to see first hand in Scarborough & York in 1983. I was aware of the Hornby DMU and from when I first got 'Motive Power Recognition 3 - DMUs' in 1982

Hi,  keefer.  Sorry for the late reply. There are some key differences between the two classes.

The first one is that the windows each side of the connecting gangway are at the same height as the saloon windows unlike in class 104 where the top of the end windows is level with the gutter.

Next is the fact that all the windows, except for the door drop lights, were pan framed unit type windows which the class 104 ‘s were not fitted out with.

The other thing about the TSL’s is  that the bogies are sprung differently, and if you place the bogies next to each other you can see that the vertically hung swing rods carried on knife edges the spring plank with side control by rubber springing with hydraulic damping. Much more complex than the simpler Derby design of the class 104!

I hope that’s of some help, and isn’t too technical.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Trent and Beeston photo’s which still full of interest even if relatively modern. We must keep on taking photo’s of all things railway, they will be of such value to future generations.

The last two photo’s show how modern looking the class 150’s were back then at Trent, on the 31st, May, 1986.

150150 just looks so new and modern compared to clapped out first generation DMUs.  And certainly preferable to a Pacer too.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/03/2019 at 15:55, DaveF said:

The Southern around London for this afternoon, mostly in 1979.

The first photo dates back to 1969 when I was a student living in Manchester and is taken from St Pauls, sadly it did not scan too well.  I still remember the day I took it, a group of us had travelled to London from Manchester to sing in a choir at the Royal Albert Hall. 

338621653_CannonStreetfromStPaulsNov69C5500.jpg.afd599032ea88208385e1ed062577b62.jpg

Cannon Street from St Pauls Nov 69 C5500.jpg

I've got a similar photo my Dad took (I was with him at the time) a few years earlier (9th Nov. '63). A case of spot the differences (and there are several):

View9Nov63.jpg.89eed023642b21e0132079e5fb60fcd9.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

I've got a similar photo my Dad took (I was with him at the time) a few years earlier (9th Nov. '63). A case of spot the differences (and there are several):

I’d call it spot the blots on the landscape... that tower block for one.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1