Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi DaveF, more excellent photo's! Regarding the class 108 DMU headcode, I've checked a B.R. W orking Timetable which I have for Lincolnshire and Humberside 14 May 1979 to 11 May 1980. It is saying that class 4 trains, then at least, were freightliners! I've a feeling that the train crew may have just simply made an error - fascinating to see a DMU displaying a class 4 headcode though. Please keep these photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

Oh, and i forgot, there was platform shoes/boots,

Oxford bags and Tesco turn ups.

but of course i can`t remember wearing any of those things

in that time ?

Excuse me, that is my sartorial 'spotting' wardrobe for today............however I have to wear a bobble hat as the hair has gone. :sarcastichand:

P

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

These are truly excellent! You and your Father were  really good at capturing the everyday railway. Many have over-looked this over the years, favouring the lure of express trains, etc. I also like to see the surrounding structures and scenery - alot of which no longer survives. Please do keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

Really love these photos, they are so close to home, its amazing to see how things have changed, or not in some places, also a little sad to see how little there is happens in Sleaford and Ancaster compared to then.. You wouldnt happen to have any more photos taken Sleaford, Grantham, Heckington or Nottingham in your collections per chance :D

Sean (sorry for the cheeky question)

• RMweb Gold

Really love these photos, they are so close to home, its amazing to see how things have changed, or not in some places, also a little sad to see how little there is happens in Sleaford and Ancaster compared to then.. You wouldnt happen to have any more photos taken Sleaford, Grantham, Heckington or Nottingham in your collections per chance :D

Sean (sorry for the cheeky question)

Sean,

There are more to come of some of those places.  If you have a look at the link to flickr in my signature and go to my Albums (which flickr used to call sets!) you will find more.

David

Edited to explain some new fkickr terminology.

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 2

more great photos, and I also like the ballast train. not something I've seen many photos of but which I have a strong desire to model.

a word of warning for anyone proposing to click on Dave's Flickr link: make sure you don't have anything important to do for the next hour or ten...! :)

Superb series of shots Dave, many thanks for sharing them with us all - the Crewe lot in particular almost made me fall of my perch so to speak, they just ooze childhood nostalgia! My mate Jon will have kittens when he sees them - we're always banging on about building a time machine and going back to the early '70s.... these will just about tip him over the edge!

More please squire, more please... :good:

• Like 2

Some more of Sleaford - all with trains.

From time to time I come across a slide which has deteriorated badly.  Usually they acquire an overall magenta cast which can fairly easily be removed.  For some reason this image of the 31 had a random mix of green and magenta areas, so it has proved "interesting" to work on.

attachicon.gifj Sleaford Class 40 on crane and ballast wagons Jan 77 J5611.jpg

Sleaford Class 40 on crane and ballast wagons Jan 77 J5611

David

Nice load of cludge on there, David.

The wagons look uniform, initially, but closer examination shows a Lamphrey, then several Grampuses, then a Ling (the wagon with the lower sides). Shows you don't need to make things too uniform. Someone used to do a Ling- anyone remember who this was?

Keep them coming, David.

In the last photo (J5613) in post 31 above, the 31 with vanfits, is that straw dangling out of the bottom of the doors? Packing material?

Some lovely photos, the Ancaster Grains are excellent.

One common load which was packed in straw was seed potatoes from Scotland. Potatoes are, of course, susceptible to low temperatures and this was intended to help them survive the journey. Large quatities were worked from the Scottish areas where they were grown, to the large main crop production areas of Lincolnshire, Cambridgeshire etc. Although I must admit I think this seems unusually early in the  year for this movement - although the farmers in the south will want them put out in trays to chit before planting in May.

An alternative, is porcelain products were also loose packed in straw http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brferryvan/e66d6c5ca

Paul

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Straw in vans? Yeah, I recall a story about that. The station junior was told to go and burn the straw in that empty van over there. So he did - chucked a match in and walked away. As they say in Spain - hacienda that! The report of how the wagon was destroyed must have been a mite tricky to write....

Straw in vans? Yeah, I recall a story about that. The station junior was told to go and burn the straw in that empty van over there. So he did - chucked a match in and walked away. As they say in Spain - hacienda that! The report of how the wagon was destroyed must have been a mite tricky to write....

I think I worked with his cousin..

Another place you'd see straw was around the door bottoms (and sometimes around the holes on the bottoms of the sides) on mineral wagons carrying anthracite duff to Swansea Docks. Duff, being very fine, would otherwise find its way out of the smallest hole.

Sean,

There are more to come of some of those places.  If you have a look at the link to flickr in my signature and go to my Albums (which flickr used to call sets!) you will find more.

David

Edited to explain some new fkickr terminology.

Spot on David, love the albums!

Thank you for sharing these with us all, they are a real treat and so invaluable for both historians and modelers.

Sean

• RMweb Premium

Some lovely photos, the Ancaster Grains are excellent.

One common load which was packed in straw was seed potatoes from Scotland. Potatoes are, of course, susceptible to low temperatures and this was intended to help them survive the journey. Large quatities were worked from the Scottish areas where they were grown, to the large main crop production areas of Lincolnshire, Cambridgeshire etc. Although I must admit I think this seems unusually early in the  year for this movement - although the farmers in the south will want them put out in trays to chit before planting in May.

An alternative, is porcelain products were also loose packed in straw http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brferryvan/e66d6c5ca

Paul

Paul

Interesting destination for the 'porcelain units'; were they for a certain palace by any chance..............?

P

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Three more for now.  These should have come before Sleaford, as they are between Barkston and Sleaford but they somehow "got missed out".

post-5613-0-65288700-1399822131_thumb.jpg

Wilsford level crossing 25129 up light engine Oct 75 C2485

If I remember correctly the road is the A153 to Sleaford from near Grantham

If you look at Google Earth Street view you will see the crossing still has half barriers, but some other features have changed.

post-5613-0-46904700-1399822137_thumb.jpg

Wilsford level crossing 2x Class 20 Nottingham to Skegness Aug 79 C4661

post-5613-0-58397400-1399822143_thumb.jpg

Rauceby Class 114 Sleaford to Grantham March 70 J2080

David

Edited to ad Google earth info.

D

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 19