Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Hi Dave

Almost forgotten memories of a few days spent at Whitley Bay during which we visited the Museum,probably in the late 1980s.

What I do remember was that the A4 Bittern decked out as Silver Link was on display inside.No platform meant you got a proper idea how big it was.

I enjoy seeing your photos very much

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Class 145 was the original TOPS for a Park Royal Class 103 trailer car.  To me that looks like a BRCW unit not a Park Royal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_TOPS_first_arrangement

The Park Royals also had a "slightly sad" looking front end, so maybe that was where the misidentified class number crept in?

• Thanks 1

J5839, completely off topic....Whilst on holiday I was driving past there in my Rover Sterling, looking for a parking space. Spotted one just ahead, so I hit the button to close the sunroof. Good job I did, the seagull above must have had a good bombsight as it hit the half closed glass with what I estimated to be a 1000lb bomb!

Stewart

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Stephenson Museum at Middle Engine Lane photo’s which are all most interesting. I’m not sure but I’m hoping the NER luggage van in the first is now fully restored after all those years.

The Scarborough photo’s are a delight and a quite personal subject since I travel there weekly these days and may be living there later this year. I love the cliff lift - funicular - photo’s in particular, and I wish the one next to the Grand  Hotel, in J5664, was still in use instead of the role of a cafe. I could have done with using it a couple of weeks ago to get from the beach back to the hotel.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the Stephenson Museum at Middle Engine Lane photo’s which are all most interesting. I’m not sure but I’m hoping the NER luggage van in the first is now fully restored after all those years.

The Scarborough photo’s are a delight and a quite personal subject since I travel there weekly these days and may be living there later this year. I love the cliff lift - funicular - photo’s in particular, and I wish the one next to the Grand  Hotel, in J5664, was still in use instead of the role of a cafe. I could have done with using it a couple of weeks ago to get from the beach back to the hotel.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The NER Tyneside electric luggage van was restored to full NER red and cream livery some years ago.

Although it is not too far to Middle Engine Lane I haven't managed to get there for some time to see the current exhibits.

With reference to Scarborough I too have noticed that hills are getting steeper and longer.

David

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Cramlington photo’s. They convey perfectly the way the railway  was  back in  1980 and 1985. Deltics, 31’s, 47’s and first generation DMU’s.  I particularly like the last photo’ of 31222  on a down  light engine movement on the 30th August, 1985. I cant remember the last time I saw a 31 running light engine on the main network, let  alone BR days. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

The Grand hotel was requesitioned by the RAF in WW2  and the late James Heriot did his navigator training during his brief encounter with the services ,he was found unfit for military service.In his book he states the windows were nailed open as the people in charge felt that cold fresh sea air was very good for you.When I last visited in the seventies I thought that it was a bit rundown hope it has been done up a bit?

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Cramlington Class 101 Newcastle to Morpeth Aug 80 J7064.jpg

Interesting one that, with a white with blue stripe early refurb rear car and the later blue/grey front car, which has been through the wash plant but not had the front cleaned. Try weathering that on a model without the not prototypical brigade commenting.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Market65 said:

I particularly like the last photo’ of 31222  on a down  light engine movement on the 30th August, 1985. I cant remember the last time I saw a 31 running light engine on the main network, let  alone BR days.

Zooming in reveals it is 31322 a Thornaby machine, whereas 31222 was Cricklewood.

The last class 31 LE working I was on flashed over the main generator as we took power crossing over to the down main opposite Old Oak Common. The rear cab lit up with an electric blue glow in the darkness that Saturday night, as I rang the fire bell in a vain attempt to alert the driver not to take power again. Test run to Slough aborted....

Dave

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Davexoc said:

Zooming in reveals it is 31322 a Thornaby machine, whereas 31222 was Cricklewood.

The last class 31 LE working I was on flashed over the main generator as we took power crossing over to the down main opposite Old Oak Common. The rear cab lit up with an electric blue glow in the darkness that Saturday night, as I rang the fire bell in a vain attempt to alert the driver not to take power again. Test run to Slough aborted....

Dave

Thanks for pointing out the number error - it was just my lousy typing (again), I really did know it was 31322.

David

• RMweb Gold

C8936 shows an interesting little freight. The three red/grey HEAs at the front have different sized Railfreight logos, and they’ve been applied in different places too. That looks like a BDA at the rear but I can’t tell what it’s behind. And I don’t think the loco can be 37226 given it's a split head code variant.

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Scottish photo’s which, as always, show how splendid the landscape of Scotland can be in the West Highland photo’s, and a slightly less scenic aspect appears in the last two at Inveresk, east of Musselburgh,  Indeed, the last photo’ at Inveresk, east of Musselburgh,  of 37226, on a down freight train on the 11th, August, 1987, is a most excellent portrait of a 37 hauled freight in the mid ‘80’s - a typical load of vehicles. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1