Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Blyth and Tyne photo’s. They are most interesting, and I particularly like C8238, at North Blyth Alcan, with 37212 running through from Lynemouth on the 22nd December, 1986. The photo’ makes a fine portrait of the 37.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting Dave, Just noticed the Class 08 running back from the staithes in C5256

Thanks Michael,

I'd forgotten about the 08 in the distance when I wrote the caption.

David

Well, that was a marathon "catching-up" session. Having been away since 23rd I have been very much looking forward to getting back and looking at the most recent pictures - somehow viewing them on a smartphone screen is less than satisfactory, so I tend not to do so whilst away from home. It was certainly worth the wait.

Belatedly, a happy new year and best wishes for a healthy 2019 to all.

• RMweb Gold

Evening David, great pictures again. Until I've seen your collection I would never have thought brake coaches 'the wrong way round' was so common.

The train in the top photograph has two!

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Oxenhope photo’s. It’s always good to see early photo’s of the KWVR. In particular, I like the two with the ex LNER observation saloon. It doesn’t seem too often you see photo’s of it.

That’s a great set of photo’s of Carlton on Trent. It’s so great to see those expresses on the ECML. In particular, J6443, is a great shot of a typical Deltic plus eight formation, with 55022, on a down express in May, 1979.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Evening David, great pictures again. Until I've seen your collection I would never have thought brake coaches 'the wrong way round' was so common.

The train in the top photograph has two!

They're not the wrong way round, they're at the wrong ends......

Great photos...

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

J6063--- About turn!

Note the toilet has just been flushed in the end of the 3rd or front of the 4th vehicle......

That will leave an interesting taste in the mouth!

Andy G

Sleeping car M395 (should that not be M395M) last reported at Carnforth in much poorer condition than that, what a waste.

Jim

When in Crimson/Cream, the suffix only came along later in that livery era, once Mk1s were introduced in sufficient numbers to increase the likelihood of duplication. So either is acceptable.

Sleeping car M395 (should that not be M395M) last reported at Carnforth in much poorer condition than that, what a waste.

Jim

A bit like the coaling tower. Agreed what a waste. Anyone else think that there should be some kind of  "duty of care"?

• RMweb Premium

Once again some photos on the Midland for today.

attachicon.gifNottingham London Rd ex LMS sleeping car Mar 74 J3601.jpg

Nottingham London Rd ex LMS sleeping car Mar 74 J3601

attachicon.gifTrent Class 254 HST down Aug 83 C6131.jpg

Trent Class 254 HST down Aug 83 C6131

attachicon.gifTrent Class 47down empties April 80 J6845.jpg

Trent Class 47 down empties April 80 J6845

attachicon.gifRatcliffe on Soar Class 47 down Oct 76 J5467.jpg

Ratcliffe on Soar Class 47 down Oct 76 J5467

attachicon.gifRatcliffe on Soar Class 45 down le and Class 45 on down ballast train in the distance Feb 83 C5939.jpg

Ratcliffe on Soar Class 45 down le and Class 45 on down ballast train in the distance Feb 83 C5939

David

Is it just me where not all the images are loading?

Today I get the Trent254.jpg text in the place of the image, but clicking on another image and going next/previous reveals it, but disappears on close. Refreshing the page and it is still missing. Also happened yesterday with some images, but today they are there..... Puzzling...

While zooming in, you can see something disappearing on the up line further in the distance than the 45 on ballast, with the signal behind it on red.

Regards,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Midland photo’s, which are most interesting. In J6845, at Trent, with a class 47 on a train of down empties, in April, 1980, on enlarging the photo’, the number of the 47 appears to be 47 2x5. I just can’t quite make out the number between the 2 and the 5. A 1 perhaps?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

When in Crimson/Cream, the suffix only came along later in that livery era, once Mk1s were introduced in sufficient numbers to increase the likelihood of duplication. So either is acceptable.

Two late crest roundels on a crimson and cream, early numbered coach?

Methinks, like a lot of their early stock liveries, Carnforth were using 'artistic licence' in their restorations.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Is it just me where not all the images are loading?

Today I get the Trent254.jpg text in the place of the image, but clicking on another image and going next/previous reveals it, but disappears on close. Refreshing the page and it is still missing. Also happened yesterday with some images, but today they are there..... Puzzling...

While zooming in, you can see something disappearing on the up line further in the distance than the 45 on ballast, with the signal behind it on red.

Regards,

Dave

I hadn't noticed the train in the very far distance - I'm assuming you mean the one to the left of the biggest pylons, it's a rake of HAAs hauled by a Class 56.  I know that because I got a photo of it before the one of the Class 45.

Davexoc. I've had same problem all day with the images not loading first time, keep having to refresh.

For both of you, the site has been very slow today - something to do with responses to the Hornby announcement, the photos do take a long time to load.  Hopefully it will improve in the next couple of days.  It was slow at times yesterday too, apparently a lot of people using the site.

It took me nearly half an hour to upload today's photos.

Methinks, like a lot of their early stock liveries, Carnforth were using 'artistic licence' in their restorations.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

It is indeed wrong.  However it was just before the days when it was based at Carnforth, it had  arrived at Nottingham behind Flying Scotsman earlier that day on its way from Market Overton to Carnforth.  As far as I know it was one of Bill McAlpine's coaches then.

I cannot now remember where it was restored/painted.

David

Edited by DaveF

Regards,

John Isherwood.

A lot of preserved lines use artistic licence, particularly with respect to BR(S) Green liveried Mark 1s, where a lot of common-or-garden ones have carriage roundels applied where they shouldn't be...

• RMweb Premium

The vehicle behind the sleeper looks a bit up in the air at the far end, hence the red flag maybe?

The vehicle next to the sleeper is a Steam Heating coach, one of the ones used on the electrified West Coast Main before all the coaches had been swapped to MK1's with ETH. It's had up against the stops hence why the rear is in the air, and I'm guessing that is its usual resting place, so hence the flag to mark it out to a driver propelling against it.

Andy G