Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I really like all of the Grantham photo’s which really are all of such top quality. I particularly like the last one of Deltic, 55015, Tulyar, on a Hull to Kings Cross service in July, 1980.  Not long to go for the Deltics by then sadly. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the West Highland line photo’s. They show off the Scottish scenery so perfectly. In particular, C6863 of Rannoch viaduct with the train heading north, on the 11th May, 1985. Such a glorious view.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

J6038 Grantham. I wish someone did those concrete station lamps, a very distinctive feature of platforms across the east of the country (and possibly further afield) in the 50s-70s. Gone by 1980 as well, looking at the sequence of photos.I know there is a straggler surviving at Cleethorpes, not sure if there are any others.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the selection of photo’s this evening. A great selection which are all so full of interest.  I particularly like J6709 at Nottingham with 47222 on a down oil tanks train, in December, 1979. Just such a good scene of such a 47 hauled train.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Firstly, don’t worry about all those likes and thanks disappearing. I know you liked and thanked me for my inadequate daily contribution, and that is more than sufficient for myself and I’m sure everyone else too. 

So the photo’s today of the Blyth and Tyne, of two completely different time periods are all of great interest, and I like them all equally. Indeed thank you for continuing to photograph the present day railway. I keep thinking and thanking you and your Father for photographing the ordinary railway for all the years you both did do.

Of today’s selection, I particularly like J7405, at South Newsham with class 37, 37031 on an up train, in May, 1981.

A perfectly captured scene.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, caradoc said:

Great pics of the S&KLR David; A railway I have never visited, but your photos have inspired me to rectify that this year !

Same here, and as a narrow-gauge man i feel twice as guilty!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, DaveF said:

J7178.jpg

That photo is interesting. Just look at that colour light on the right... Its post is growing out of the top of the cabinet below the signal. I don't think I've seen two aspects mounted like that before, it looks more like a very early Searchlight style arrangement, maybe an approach lit distant at one time?

Andy G

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Dave

The S&KLR photos took me back to the time when I volunteered there in the early '70s. as a member of the LCGB .

Summer Sundays would normally be taken up with sanding 'something'down. 

One day whilst helping out in the shed at Kemsley I was asked to fetch a bucket to drain some oil from 'Triumph', I duly came back, only to be told that what I had brought was a pail, so it was no good! 

Funny old game eh?

Regards

Les

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, uax6 said:

That photo is interesting. Just look at that colour light on the right... Its post is growing out of the top of the cabinet below the signal. I don't think I've seen two aspects mounted like that before, it looks more like a very early Searchlight style arrangement, maybe an approach lit distant at one time?

Andy G

Not only that, but the make up of that train is so modelable, a couple of warwells, a plate? two vans, something in a medfit? tanker, van and a few minerals. Most of that must be heading for either Kineton and/or Bicester, great shot as are the others. Wet beds in J7177, and I had to check Moreton Pinkney on the side by side maps, cos' it is nothing like that these days....

Regards,

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Sorry to be so late but I was at the Doncaster exhibition all day today.  The two sets of photo’s are as delightful as ever.

Those of the Sittingbourne andKemsley Railway are so full of interest and I particularly like the one of Kemsley Down, TPO lineside equipment with mail bags, taken in May, 1975, C2108. I’ve never had the opportunity to see them close up before, so that photo’ helps to fill in some details.

The second set from around the West Midlands are also most interesting, and full of nostalgia.

I particularly like J7178, of Southam Road and Harbury, with 47375 on an up freight, in August, 1980. A good atmospheric photo’ which captures the train and surroundings to perfection.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

Not only that, but the make up of that train is so modelable, a couple of warwells, a plate? two vans, something in a medfit? tanker, van and a few minerals. Most of that must be heading for either Kineton and/or Bicester, great shot as are the others. Wet beds in J7177, and I had to check Moreton Pinkney on the side by side maps, cos' it is nothing like that these days....

Regards,

Dave

Unlikely to be Kineton as there is only munitions there. Bicester possibly... my guess would be either Ludgershall (now home to 22 & 26 Regt RE) which used to be an armoured vehicle depot. Not sure about the rest of the train. I'm guessing it's a vac fitted freight?

The two armoured vehicles are interesting. The near one is a FV438 a variant of the 430 range and used to fire Swingfire anti- tank missiles. They and the Ferret Mk 5 we're withdrawn in favour of the  FV102 CVR(T) Striker. The Striker carried 5 ready missiles whereas the Ferret had 4 and the 438 only 2 - that along with changes and reductions in the force lay down.  The other vehicle is a FV604 Saracen Armoured Command Vehicle, one of the less common variants of that family. Both look to be very good, clean, condition but with chalky running gear, so may have been out for trials rather than training.

Would that be north or south bound?

Excellent photos as always, Dave, thank you. 

Edited by daveyb
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, daveyb said:

Unlikely to be Kineton as there is only munitions there. Bicester possibly... my guess would be either Ludgershall (now home to 22 & 26 Regt RE) which used to be an armoured vehicle depot. Not sure about the rest of the train. I'm guessing it's a vac fitted freight?

The two armoured vehicles are interesting. The near one is a FV438 a variant of the 430 range and used to fire Swingfire anti- tank missiles. They and the Ferret Mk 5 we're withdrawn in favour of the  FV102 CVR(T) Striker. The Striker carried 5 ready missiles whereas the Ferret had 4 and the 438 only 2 - that along with changes and reductions in the force lay down.  The other vehicle is a FV604 Saracen Armoured Command Vehicle, one of the less common variants of that family. Both look to be very good, clean, condition but with chalky running gear, so may have been out for trials rather than training.

Would that be north or south bound?

Excellent photos as always, Dave, thank you. 

2 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

I'd guess the train was heading south, as those Minfits look to be loaded. The AFVs might be heading to Marchwood, or Ludgershall via Eastleigh.

Dad has it noted as an up train so I assume it is heading in the general direction of London, which I think is south at this location.

David

• Thanks 1