Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Swayfield photo’s and J7816, is one the very few times I’ve seen the ultrasonic rail defect detectors in use. Now in the first photo’ with Deltic 55010 on the down Aberdonian in November, 1975, makes a fine and most nostalgic sight.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

Great Photos as usual Dave - I would question the last working as it is a down train approaching Carlisle from the south, the presence of the GUVs suggest a Motorail working which could be Glasgow Central bound.

Edit - or perhaps the Clansman?

Jim

Edited by luckymucklebackit
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Carlisle photo’s which bring plenty of memories back. In C9407, with class 31, 31270, on an up rail train, on the 12th April, 1988, you have captured a great broadside portrait of the locomotive. Also, in C9202, with class 155, 155307 on test on the 27th Oct, 1987, it brings back memories of the door, amongst other problems, that those units at first had. I know modifications had to be made.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

C9426 has typos galore I’m afraid. It’s 86426 not 246 and the train is heading north so Euston to Stranraer not t’other way round.

It looks like it is taken from the S end of platform 3 with the bay 2 track immediately to the right

Those buildings on the right are the ones in the middle of this Google Earth:

https://goo.gl/maps/1SbL2zQXm4zqjvx78

Edited by melmerby
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

3 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Great Photos as usual Dave - I would question the last working as it is a down train approaching Carlisle from the south, the presence of the GUVs suggest a Motorail working which could be Glasgow Central bound.

Edit - or perhaps the Clansman?

Jim

2 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

C9426 has typos galore I’m afraid. It’s 86426 not 246 and the train is heading north so Euston to Stranraer not t’other way round.

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

It looks like it is taken from the S end of platform 3 with the bay 2 track immediately to the right

Those buildings on the right are the ones in the middle of this Google Earth:

https://goo.gl/maps/1SbL2zQXm4zqjvx78

It is indeed 86426 on a Euston to Stranraer service.

The leading GUVs are the Motorail service to Carlisle.  They were removed from the train at Carlisle for unloading.  They returned south on the up working of the Stranraer service.

As for the caption errors - I can't think of any convincing explanation, the train and loco details are correct in my notes so it must be a lack of concentration while typing.  I wasn't even in a rush on the day I did the captions.

David

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Bottesford photo’s which are full of interest and, as you said, show the variety in motive power at the time of the photo’s. In J7611, in November, 1981, 25316 on a down light engine movement, with a class 114 DMU, you have a great composition which is most atmospheric. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Rob F said:

Let's hope July 83 wasn't a scorcher as those aircons are going to get quite hot behind a 45/0.....

I don’t think it is a 45/0 as it's got an ETH cable fitted, so it’s a 45/1. 45006 did carry a nameplate but the word arrangement was different to the one in Dave's picture.

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

J7993......45137 Bedfordshire And Hertfordshire Regiment (TA) I think....from the crest and nameplate layout (and looks like a '7'on the end of the number).

Great photo Dave! Nice and cool in there Rob......a hot summer that was....spent most of it in Midland railtourers!

Regards

Guy

Edited by balders
Typo
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I recall sweating a lot for much of the summer of ‘83, but it wasn’t quite as long or hot as ‘76! Last summer was similar to ‘76, but there we are, Dave’s excellent photo’s are bringing back all manner of memories. Please keep them coming, Dave.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

J7649 can't be 20 105, as it is headcode panel fitted. Closer inspection shows it to be 20 176 - in which case it's partner was 20 157 in May 1982.

Re: J7993. On July 16th 1983 45 137 worked 1E85 09:22 Derby - Skegness and returned on 1M35 13:00 Skegness - Derby. Although that train was Class 20s and Mark Is during the week, every Saturday shows it to have been worked by a Class 45/1 - so presumably that was because air-conditioned stock was used (I honestly can't remember - but perhaps someone else can?).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Market65 said:

I recall sweating a lot for much of the summer of ‘83, but it wasn’t quite as long or hot as ‘76! Last summer was similar to ‘76, but there we are, Dave’s excellent photo’s are bringing back all manner of memories. Please keep them coming, Dave.

Best regards,

Rob.

The beginning of July '83 was certainly hot. My parents travelled from South Wales to Newcastle on the 2nd for our wedding on the 4th; the A/C on their HST carriage had failed, which exacerbated dad's emphysema.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 35A said:

J7649 can't be 20 105, as it is headcode panel fitted. Closer inspection shows it to be 20 176 - in which case it's partner was 20 157 in May 1982.

Re: J7993. On July 16th 1983 45 137 worked 1E85 09:22 Derby - Skegness and returned on 1M35 13:00 Skegness - Derby. Although that train was Class 20s and Mark Is during the week, every Saturday shows it to have been worked by a Class 45/1 - so presumably that was because air-conditioned stock was used (I honestly can't remember - but perhaps someone else can?).

The AC stock was used on the Skeggy's regularly for the first time in 1983. When HSTs were introduced on the Midland, the Mk2s cascaded replaced the remaining mk1s which as the MML requirement was less at the weekend, had traditionally been used on the Saturday extras.

The Mk1s displaced from the MML moved on to the Summer dated trains and the oldest (and most decrepit, they really were!) vacuum only mk1s were withdrawn. 

The locos followed the same pattern, fewer 45/1s and 47/4s required for the MML at the weekend freed these up for Skeggy runs. I don't have any record of a 45 at Skegness before 1982 but they were commonplace from 1983 onwards.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, RANGERS said:

The AC stock was used on the Skeggy's regularly for the first time in 1983. When HSTs were introduced on the Midland, the Mk2s cascaded replaced the remaining mk1s which as the MML requirement was less at the weekend, had traditionally been used on the Saturday extras.

The Mk1s displaced from the MML moved on to the Summer dated trains and the oldest (and most decrepit, they really were!) vacuum only mk1s were withdrawn. 

The locos followed the same pattern, fewer 45/1s and 47/4s required for the MML at the weekend freed these up for Skeggy runs. I don't have any record of a 45 at Skegness before 1982 but they were commonplace from 1983 onwards.

Many thanks for that. I'm surprised that I don't remember that, as I was doing a post-grad year at the Poly in Leicester from 1982-83 and photographed the changeover from 45s to HSTs around the May timetable change.

With reducing academic workload I spent much time out with the 20s on the Skeggys that summer, on weekdays and occasionally on Sundays - but not, as I recall, on Saturdays. That's probably the reason why I did other things on Saturdays, although I'd forgotten the reason, 35 years on! 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the southern bridges over the River Thames in London photo’s which are full of interest. I think C3709, of the bridge at London Canon Street, on the 11th March, 1978, sums it up that I always seem to have seen 4EPB’s and 4SUB’s running over those bridges when I was in London back in those days. Along, of course with 4VEP’s, CIG’s and many other units. But all long gone now, but thankfully these lovely photo’s have been posted so the memories can live on a little longer.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The Thames photos are a wonderful record of how the skyline has changed, too.  Warehouses not yet converted or demolished, low-rise development - even the churches are visible and the LWT building looks tall (I'll bet any number of the tall towers visible have been replaced), comms antennae on the MoD, how dirty the MoD, Horse Guards  and Shell Mex House buildings are prior to refurbishment, how busy the Thames is with commercial moorings still... some really evocative images, thank you.

Edited by daveyb
Spelling...
  • Thanks 1