Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

C9219 hits the spot for me; 87 003 and her train of Intercity liveried stock show just the sort of brake dust staining you'd expect from a train that had just made a fast (but controlled) descent of Shap on a filthy day.  She'll probably be even filthier when she gets to Glasgow!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Carlisle photo’s which are all full of interest and show how it was back in the ‘80’s. In the first photo’, C7981, that’s a great portrait of 47519, in large logo blue, running light engine on the 26th August, 1986. And the last one, C9424, shows a nicely weathered 26024, on an up light engine movement, on the 12th April, 1988.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Blyth and Tyne between Winning and North Blyth photo’s which are as full of interest as always. I particularly like C8141, at Winning, with 37015, on a down permanent way train on Sunday, 21st September, 1986. You can see some good weathering effects on the wagons which is so useful for modelling.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

Great Blyth and Tyne photos.  

Sadly, coal trains have declined on the B&T due to the closure of coal fired power stations that the only regular flow of coal traffic appears to be the (Weds only) from North Blyth to Tata Steel in South Wales.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Scottish photo’s which are as interesting and atmospheric as ever. In J3284, at Fort Augustus, River Oich bridge, in August, 1973, I’m wondering what it was like before the line was closed down. I’m guessing the spans would have been metal, probably wrought iron girders. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the Scottish photo’s which are as interesting and atmospheric as ever. In J3284, at Fort Augustus, River Oich bridge, in August

, 1973, I’m wondering what it was like before the line was closed down. I’m guessing the spans would have been metal, probably wrought iron girders. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The spans were metal and I suspect were of steel given that the line was built  about 1910.

The argument between the Hghland and North British was pre ,1914

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What a most excellent collection of photo’s of Grantham. I particularly like J7023, in July, 1980, with a class 114 and coupled up to it’s rear is a two car class 105 with the DMBS visible. Owing to the angle of the sun much underfloor detail is visible which always helps  with modelling.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

New to this thread and got to about page 13 from the start. Might take me a while for the rest!!

But just wanted to say Dave what a fantastic collection just from what I have seen so far.

Can anyone tell me what these wagons are behind the 26 and if they are modelled in 4mm?

Rich.

post-5613-0-99873500-1400523769.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 19/07/2019 at 18:39, Andy Louch said:

Along similar lines, I love the caption on C7868; ...."extra Derby to York 3rd Aug".... wonder when last time 'extra' services were run?

Best wishes, Andy

It doesn't happen much and is generally confined to a few major events (eg Cheltenham).  Southern did run three limited stop additional services in the evening peak from London Bridge to Wimbledon on 17/7/19 during one of the all too common service meltdowns into Waterloo.  Pretty unusual though and only possible because Southern has some slack in its 455 fleet and somehow managed to find drivers despite often being stretched in the past to cover all the turns in the summer months.

PS I'm reminded by caradoc's post below that regular sporting events like football matches do result in extras running on match days on some lines.  These are pre-planned and run regularly throughout the season.  What struck me as unusual about the Southern services on 17/7 was that they were arranged at short notice. 

In the old days say the wires came down at the south end of the WCML then Saltley or Old Oak would rustle up a few 47/4s or whatever was available and improvise an enhanced service into Paddington using the EBW stock.  There was a picture published somewhere of a Western at Wolverhampton on air con stock during such an occurrence (perhaps WR control improvising a bit too much!).  For a zillion well-rehearsed reasons that sort of thing generally doesn't happen much these days.

Edited by DY444
Added PS
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Growling said:

New to this thread and got to about page 13 from the start. Might take me a while for the rest!!

But just wanted to say Dave what a fantastic collection just from what I have seen so far.

Can anyone tell me what these wagons are behind the 26 and if they are modelled in 4mm?

Rich.

post-5613-0-99873500-1400523769.jpg

Rebuilt Caustic Soda tank for molasses, the closest part rtr is the chassis from Bachmann or Triang/Hornby 45 ton tank.

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/procormolasses/e3b0c534a

Mark Saunders

Edited by Mark Saunders
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 19/07/2019 at 18:39, Andy Louch said:

Along similar lines, I love the caption on C7868; ...."extra Derby to York 3rd Aug".... wonder when last time 'extra' services were run?

Best wishes, Andy

Every time there is a major football match or concert at Hampden Park Scotrail run extra services around the Cathcart Circle.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Morpeth photo’s which are full of interest. In C8592, with 43042 leading a down express on the 3rd July, 1987, it can be seen that some of the cantrail grills, on that class 43 power car,  have either got broken off or have gone missing in some way. That is something which I’ve never seen before. I wonder what might have happened?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Marley Hill station and sheds on the Tanfield Railway photo’s which are fascinating. What a lovely engine, RSH number 21 is, at Marley Hill, on the 28th May, 1988, in C9481. It really would make a delightful model.

The Newcastle to Carlisle photo’s are also fill of interest, and those red noses or looks of surprise, on the cab ends of those class 143’s in C11674, and C11679 are something which I’ve never seen before on a train. I wonder if more information about them is available?

And that’s a fascinating signal box at Prudhoe, in C11673, on the 11th March , 1989. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1