Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the Marley Hill station and sheds on the Tanfield Railway photo’s which are fascinating. What a lovely engine, RSH number 21 is, at Marley Hill, on the 28th May, 1988, in C9481. It really would make a delightful model.

The Newcastle to Carlisle photo’s are also fill of interest, and those red noses or looks of surprise, on the cab ends of those class 143’s in C11674, and C11679 are something which I’ve never seen before on a train. I wonder if more information about them is available?    (My bold to show the bit my comment below refers to - Dave F)

And that’s a fascinating signal box at Prudhoe, in C11673, on the 11th March , 1989. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

All I know about the red noses is that they appeared around red nose day and remained for some time afterwards.  I don't think I've ever seen anything in print about them.

David

• Thanks 1

Wikipedia says the 2nd Red Nose Day was Friday 10 March 1989, which ties in nicely with the date on the photos.

I couldn't find any references to other photos/other trains with them, other than much more recently.

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Bottesford photo’s. They are full of interest, particularly the track relaying photo’s. I also particularly like J7513, of two class 20’s, with 20189, not 20199, leading on an up freight train in June, 1981. On the bufferbeam of 20189, despite the heavy weathering, the blue star coupling code symbols are clearly visible. Perhaps they had been applied on top of the grime! Also the loco number is crudely applied between the coupling code stars - in chalk?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

Another great selection of pictures full of interest. I particularly like pictures of track laying/ballasting, I find it fascinating seeing the equipment involved and all the different wagon types. Talking of wagons, is that a Sturgeon wagon in J8114?

Regards, 

Rich.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Clagsniffer said:

Another great selection of pictures full of interest. I particularly like pictures of track laying/ballasting, I find it fascinating seeing the equipment involved and all the different wagon types. Talking of wagons, is that a Sturgeon wagon in J8114?

Appears to be marked YBO, so yes a Sturgeon.

I'm curious about that bogie ammonia wagon in J7329. I'm guessing the ferry van is/was a barrier when it was loaded, but everything else is open or hopper.

Regards,

Dave

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

Appears to be marked YBO, so yes a Sturgeon.

I'm curious about that bogie ammonia wagon in J7329. I'm guessing the ferry van is/was a barrier when it was loaded, but everything else is open or hopper.

Regards,

Dave

I suspect the 21t Minfit is the barrier. I wonder where the train was coming from and going to?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

I suspect the 21t Minfit is the barrier. I wonder where the train was coming from and going to?

Re J7329 in today's photos.

Sadly I don't have any working timetables for the Grantham to Nottingham line so I don't know where the train came from or was going to.  

It's a line where not very much has appeared in magazines or books over the years either, so I have never been able to sort out the freight workings when i am trying to write captions.

Can anyone help?

David

• RMweb Gold

I don't think it's a barrier as there isn't one the other side of the tank.

The ferry van and the tank look like they are probably from parkeston but parkeston men didn't sign 25s so I would think is possibly a whitemoor  toton service 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The chlorine tank is more than likely on it's way to British Celanese at Spondon, but why it's coming from the direction it is is interesting as this wasn't the flow, that came from the ICI factories on the Wirral. Possibly a one off working of a single wagon from a subsidiary factory in the East?

Mike.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

The chlorine tank is more than likely on it's way to British Celanese at Spondon, but why it's coming from the direction it is is interesting as this wasn't the flow, that came from the ICI factories on the Wirral. Possibly a one off working of a single wagon from a subsidiary factory in the East?

Mike.

I too thought it looked a bit like the Spondon chlorine tanks.

I did once see a chlorine tank (4wheel I think) at the paper mills near New Hythe (Kent) back in the late 70s. Were there paper mills in E Anglia? Would a Kent flow have been routed via Temple Mills-Whitemoor-Toton-wherever the chlorine works was?

Or could it have been coming back to Spondon from repairs?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Cumbrian Coast line photo’s which are full of interest. I particularly like the station buildings at Drigg, on the 7th August, 1987, in  C8791. They would make a fine model, along with the signal box in the following photo’.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dave - a nice reminder of the time I stopped in the pub at Drigg while doing some bits & pieces for lal Ratty.  The pub is the white building in the background of the third pic down - my room was the one with the window at the left hand end on the 1st floor so you can see that I had a nice view of the railway ;)

• Thanks 1

J7329 Bottesford Down Freight 25.306 - the October 1980 - May 1981 WTT for conditional train services provides details for 7M06 10:05 SX Whitemoor -Toton New Bank which, given the consist seen, might be a contender?

In the up direction was 8E12 14:39 SX Toton East Yard - Whitemoor (J7513?)

Edited by SP Steve
Additional info added
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, SP Steve said:

J7329 Bottesford Down Freight 25.306 - the October 1980 - May 1981 WTT for conditional train services provides details for 7M06 10:05 SX Whitemoor -Toton New Bank which, given the consist seen, might be a contender?

In the up direction was 8E12 14:39 SX Toton East Yard - Whitemoor (J7513?)

Looking at J7329 that looks right, so I've added it to the caption.

I'm much less sure about J7513 as it was a morning photo, as the loco and station building are both in the sun,and the sun appears to be still on the north east side of the line soIi think it is a photo taken fairly early in the morning - 9am ish or even a bit earlier?

It may have been taken on a day when Mum decided to go to work on the train rather than take her car (she worked near one of the other stations on the line), Dad often walked to the station with her and took photos before returning home - he worked from home around that time.

David

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I'm much less sure about J7513 as it was a morning photo, as the loco and station building are both in the sun,and the sun appears to be still on the north east side of the line soIi think it is a photo taken fairly early in the morning - 9am ish or even a bit earlier?

It may have been taken on a day when Mum decided to go to work on the train rather than take her car (she worked near one of the other stations on the line), Dad often walked to the station with her and took photos before returning home - he worked from home around that time.

David

In that case the likely working would be 8E07 07:12 SX Toton East Yard - Whitemoor which was booked to pass Bingham at 07:54 which would tally with your recollections.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, SP Steve said:

In that case the likely working would be 8E07 07:12 SX Toton East Yard - Whitemoor which was booked to pass Bingham at 07:54 which would tally with your recollections.

Sounds more likely. Unless 8E12 had been rerouted by 1981 (I was away at college by then), it always used to run via Syston and Peterborough. Throughout the 1970s it was our regular, daily Class 44 'Peak' (passing PBO at around 16:20) and my notes still show some sightings of it as late as September 1980.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Bring back the 15X DMU

The S & C currently has several 170s ex-Scotrail and the most uncomfortable seats I have been on apart from Pacers.

Edited by melmerby
wrong class!
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

At first I thought SIMG_2555 was a photo of a well made model, it wasn't till a noticed the chap who has appeared not to have heard the planet is over populated (if they are all his kids) I had to have a second look. 

• Agree 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Appleby and Kirkby Stephen photo’s which are all full of interest. In particular the box van in SIMG_0351, on the 25th November, 2005, at Appleby, is either an ex LNER van or an ex RCH van. It’s the doors which are slightly confusing me. They don’t seem LNER. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

At first I thought SIMG_2555 was a photo of a well made model, it wasn't till a noticed the chap who has appeared not to have heard the planet is over populated (if they are all his kids) I had to have a second look. 

That one got me as well, Clive; like you, I thought  it was the figures that let the model down

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1