Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Great pictures and memories of happy times, I remember driving some of those DMU substitute trains back then . Odd ones even went to whitby and even running round at Battersby didn't make them that late, mind we ran them quite hard no way was I missing fish and chips for anyone. 

I remember the first shortages of units about 87 where we had DMUs from all over.

I remember secondmaning a class 120 to whitby but there were 116s, 119s also knocking about 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s of George Stephenson's cottage at Killingworth, and Newcastle Central station which are all full of interest. In particular, C11959, of 43074, leading an express train from Newcastle to Kings Cross on the 1st June, 1989, is a lovely shot of that HST power car as it traverses the pointwork. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Newcastle to Carlisle line photo’s. They, as always, are full of interest and nostalgia. In C14438, at Riding Mill, with Skipper, 142520, still in chocolate and cream livery, on a Newcastle to Hexham service on the 5th May, 1990, it is a beautiful composition of that unit. It reminds me of those 142’s in that livery and thinking they were different, but it was just a coat of paint....

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

C14438, the Cornish Skipper Pacer, has a non-standard 4th digit, 142525. Presumably 142025, as that was part of the batch 142015-027 which Wikipedia says was painted in those colours. They've all reverted to 1420xx numbers now.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

C14438, the Cornish Skipper Pacer, has a non-standard 4th digit, 142525. Presumably 142025, as that was part of the batch 142015-027 which Wikipedia says was painted in those colours. They've all reverted to 1420xx numbers now.

IIRC, it was all to do with the changes of transmission and engines, which was occurring around 1990. Some were also renumbered into the 142 2xx series before reverting to their original numbers, within a couple of years. I can't remember the exact details as to which were renumbered into which series (and why) but I'm sure that someone, with more interest in Pacers than I, can add further information.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, 35A said:

IIRC, it was all to do with the changes of transmission and engines, which was occurring around 1990. Some were also renumbered into the 142 2xx series before reverting to their original numbers, within a couple of years. I can't remember the exact details as to which were renumbered into which series (and why) but I'm sure that someone, with more interest in Pacers than I, can add further information.

Aha, thanks. A bit of digging reveals it was a Heaton thing, according to the caption to this Flickr photo  https://www.flickr.com/photos/66289212@N07/32077180320

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave, great photos as ever. Had to look twice at C8846 as I couldn't make out what was happening with the end of the 4th coach, wondered if it had been damaged in some way. But on closer inspection seems to be a rogue lineside bush sprouting up - you managed to hit the camera shutter at just the right time!

Also like C8904 at Oxenholme with the cant clearly evident. Not something that can be modelled very easily to give the same impression.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Great shot of 47196 at Oxenholme. The loco appears to have a slightly non standard “red stripe Railfreight” livery with a full size BR double arrow extending down into the red stripe and, of course, the black headcode box. Quite possibly a unique variation (until someone proves otherwise). 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, iands said:

Had to look twice at C8846 as I couldn't make out what was happening with the end of the 4th coach, wondered if it had been damaged in some way. But on closer inspection seems to be a rogue lineside bush sprouting up - you managed to hit the camera shutter at just the right time!

I thought exactly the same until I zoomed in for a closer look!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

Great shot of 47196 at Oxenholme. The loco appears to have a slightly non standard “red stripe Railfreight” livery with a full size BR double arrow extending down into the red stripe and, of course, the black headcode box. Quite possibly a unique variation (until someone proves otherwise). 

Seem to recall 363 was also like that, a few of thornabys 35/5s had them as the locos came out of works without the red stripe which was added at the depot.  The 37 ones didn't go across the front though 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

C8910, is 86 401 in Nottowork in the SouthEast livery. Nearly every photo I have seen of it in this livery is nowhere the South East....but then were Exeter and Kings Lynn?  Not that 86 401 could drive itself to Exeter. I think it might have made it to Kings Lynn for some promotional thing, I know it went to Cambridge from Liverpool Street but did it make it all the way to Lynn?

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the WCML photo’s in the north west. They are all most interesting, and I particularly like C15322, at Greenholme, with a Mklll DVT leading, and 87025 at the rear, on an up express on the 24th August, 1990. It’s a great composition and a good example of a train in the landscape.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, DaveF said:

The West Coast Main Line in the North West in 1987 and 1990 for this afternoon.

391915309_Greenholme87101down24thAug90C15324.jpg.0d62c4ec148f50706ab2f3e2d352d3e3.jpg

Greenholme 87101 down 24th Aug 90 C15324

David

87101 on a rake of predominantly Mk1s.  Whilst neither a blue 87101 on coaching stock or 87s on Mk1s are exactly unheard of it's nevertheless an interesting combination.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Barnetby photo’s from the 29th May, 1991. They are so nostalgic and also show much of interest. I particularly like C15884, of the class 150 track recording train, which does not seem to have been photographed too often. It is possible to convert a 150 from the Bachmann 4mm scale model into it.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

Love the Barnetby images especially with the signals and no blue footbridge, usually to be found at Brocklesby taking photos around that time. 

Pretty sure i saw and photographed the track recording 150 at least twice possible thrice 

• Thanks 1