Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Peak Forest photo’s. They are full of interest and I particularly like the first one, of 37425  shunting on the 19th April, 1990,  It’s a well composed  three quarter shot of the 37. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

On 27/09/2019 at 19:15, SHMD said:

158779, in C18087, shows what forced me away from all things trains for 15 years.

These 2 car units, with small doors at the ends, were wholly unsuited to replace the loco+7 bogies on the Tran-Pennine route.

Awful awful things. I rate them lower than a Pacer!

Kev.

When they arrived in the Bristol area to replace the clapped out locos and excrable Mark1 stock on the Cardiff-Portsmouths, they were regarded as the ulitmate lap of luxury, so you can't please everybody...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, talisman56 said:

When they arrived in the Bristol area to replace the clapped out locos and excrable Mark1 stock on the Cardiff-Portsmouths, they were regarded as the ulitmate lap of luxury,

There's no accounting for taste....

Edited by brushman47544
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

There's no accounting for taste....

With you all the way from an enthusiast perspective, but for the passengers, draughty and poor riding mk1s hauled by 33s past their sell by date were a poor option compared to double glazing, tinted windows, wide doors, sound proofing (this route incorporates the longest main line tunnel in the UK) and air conditioning that could reliably get up to line speed and maintain it even on the banks.  The seating was better in the mk1s in that the upholstery was deeper, but the springs were largely u/s and the seats were filthy.  The 158s also featured hot drinks and snacks served at your seat.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

My first impressions of 158 were not particularly favourable. 1991, Norwich - Peterborough on a day that had started with an hour's trip into London on a Mk1 EMU. The unfamiliarity of an underfloor powerplant with its vibrations. Shuffle forward a few years and once every four weeks I would ride an Alpha-Line 158 from Cheltenham to New St. By now I was quite comfy with the ambience. GWR's 158s are welcome in the South West and again I feel at home. 

Not quite the same, because I can travel First Class on either route, but if time allows I will often opt for SWR 158/159 between London and Exeter, as a relaxing alternative to HST and now 80x from Paddington. 

Sprinter Express is pretty nice for me. 

Sorry for elongating the discussion. 

• Thanks 1

I've often ridden 158s between Manchester/Sheffield and Nottingham for various model railway related exhibitions.

Much nicer than a Voyager for a similar length of journey, the EMT Meridian layout  also has a nice ambiance proving with the Voyagers it's not the trains themselves but how they are laid out that is the issue - a few extra coaches at the beginning would have meant a whole different experience for those on long distance Cross Country trains.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I've often ridden 158s between Manchester/Sheffield and Nottingham for various model railway related exhibitions.

Much nicer than a Voyager for a similar length of journey, the EMT Meridian layout  also has a nice ambiance proving with the Voyagers it's not the trains themselves but how they are laid out that is the issue - a few extra coaches at the beginning would have meant a whole different experience for those on long distance Cross Country trains.

Back in the late 60s and early 70s I used to travel from Manchester to Nottigham.  On bad days the "train" was a Class 105 dmu.

They could be remarkably uncomfortable and luggage often bouncd off the luggage racks onto the floor.

David

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Buston Barns photo’s which capture perfectly a long gone era on the ECML. I particularly like the first photo’ of 47654, on an up Berwick to Newcastle train, on the 6th February, 1988. How well the 47 is accelerating as it draws the motley three Mk1 and Mkll carriages along behind it. A nice typical short DMU replacement train.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DaveF said:

Time now for today's photos, a little bit later than usual.

Once again they are on the ECML in Northumberland, this time at Buston Barns, to the south of Alnmouth.

1502152902_BustonBarns47654upBerwicktoNewcastle6thFeb88C9333.jpg.6a85d6a3b2a3c962672cc7c6b8fd36aa.jpg

Buston Barns 47654 up Berwick to Newcastle 6th Feb 88 C9333.jpg

David

I'm not too familiar with the ECML but I'm guessing that the shot shows an early morning working as the low sun is to the right (East) as it heads south.

If so then the working would probably be 2K03 06:50 Berwick-upon-Tweed - Newcastle which was diagrammed for a Gateshead 47 instead of a Class 143 and was due to stop at Alnmouth at 07:21

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, SP Steve said:

I'm not too familiar with the ECML but I'm guessing that the shot shows an early morning working as the low sun is to the right (East) as it heads south.

If so then the working would probably be 2K03 06:50 Berwick-upon-Tweed - Newcastle which was diagrammed for a Gateshead 47 instead of a Class 143 and was due to stop at Alnmouth at 07:21

Steve, many thanks for trying to work out the train identity.

I think it's a later working, as the train comes off the curve the line heads roughly SSW, so the photo is probably mid morning. 

The main reason why I think that is that in Northumberland the sun doesn't rise until around 07.50 early in February.  It is surprising just how far north Northumberland is.

The secondary reason is that 6th February 1988 was a Saturday.  I usually had some shopping to do on a Saturday morning and din't go out until around 10am.  Buston Barns takes a bit more than 30 minutes to drive to from home.

Additional bit after typing the above

I've just found my notes for the day, apparently I took the photo at 11.10am.

David

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, DaveF said:

Steve, many thanks for trying to work out the train identity.

I think it's a later working, as the train comes off the curve the line heads roughly SSW, so the photo is probably mid morning. 

The main reason why I think that is that in Northumberland the sun doesn't rise until around 07.50 early in February.  It is surprising just how far north Northumberland is.

The secondary reason is that 6th February 1988 was a Saturday.  I usually had some shopping to do on a Saturday morning and din't go out until around 10am.  Buston Barns takes a bit more than 30 minutes to drive to from home.

Additional bit after typing the above

I've just found my notes for the day, apparently I took the photo at 11.10am.

David

I thought that this working might be a little too early to catch the sun (I lived in Carlisle for a number of years so ditto with sun rise!).

The national timetable for this period shows that the working would almost certainly be the 10:36 Berwick-upon-Tweed - Newcastle which was scheduled to arrive at Alnmouth at 11:06. My original suggestion was gleaned from Loco-Hauled Travel 1987 which mentioned two Gateshead diagrams covering for 143 DMUs but not surprising that other workings such as this occurred given the troubles they had with introducing the Pacer units into squadron service.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Newcastle to Carlisle photo’s which are full of interest and nostalgia. In the first photo’ at Fourstones, with a two car class 101 DMU on a Carlisle to Newcastle service in snowy March, 1985, you can see that the DMBS has had the roof vents removed whilst the DTSL still has a full set of them. I believe it was something to do with asbestos removal.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the Newcastle to Carlisle photo’s which are full of interest and nostalgia. In the first photo’ at Fourstones, with a two car class 101 DMU on a Carlisle to Newcastle service in snowy March, 1985, you can see that the DMBS has had the roof vents removed whilst the DTSL still has a full set of them. I believe it was something to do with asbestos removal.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Why were the roof vents made from asbestos?

Mike.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

The only thing I can think of is the roof vents were removed and holes plated, so that any asbestos present was sealed inside the roof? (To prevent it being disturbed, in lieu of it being removed)

Edited by keefer
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

C19376 is the Spiller's petfood train between Wisbech and Paisley, I believe.

6S93; 6E80 was the corresponding southbound train. IIRC the petfood was made at Spillers factory at Barrhead (now closed) and loaded onto rail at Deanside, the return train conveyed the empty cans.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s of Dalmeny, which are full of interest. In C15720, with 20165 and 20138 on a Carbon Dioxide tanker train - a down working, which is beautifully composed,  you have a good example of a short train and a delightful station building. Just perfect for a small layout.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1