Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, talisman56 said:

C18288 - don't often see Mk1 loco-hauled stock with bars over the door droplights - presumably to stop the gricers leaning out of the windows...

They were the Scottish green and cream Mk1s.  I assume they were fitted with the window bars in Scotland.

The trains were run on the S&C with 4MTT 2-6-4T 80079 to train more steam crews and they were available for public use.

David

• Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the Appleby and Kirkby Stephen photo’s which are all full of interest. In particular the box van in SIMG_0351, on the 25th November, 2005, at Appleby, is either an ex LNER van or an ex RCH van. It’s the doors which are slightly confusing me. They don’t seem LNER. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

No, as it says it is an ICI Salt van.

ICI Salt Winsford van Wood frame oil axleboxes

2315 built Gloucester RC&W Co Ltd 1942

Paul

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photo’s to the north and south of Grantham. In particular, J6139, at Barkston, in May, 1978, with HST 254014 on an up express. It really is a beautifully composed photograph, and shows how magnificent the HST’s were. Just BR’s best ever train. So sad to see them go.....

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s of the special train from Hexham to Inverness on 15th October, 1988. They all full of interest. In the last one, C11574, at Aviemore, with 47602, the 47 makes a fine sight, but I’d forgotten just how incredibly small the running numbers were in that livery. I’m sure BR were trying to stop train spotters from carrying out their hobby!  Anyhow, I’m looking forward to seeing the Strathspey Railway photo’s.

With warmest regards, 

Rob.

• Thanks 1

Really appreciate the Glasgow Central photos, because at that time I was a South Electric Controller for BR ScR (my favourite job of all my railway career), basically responsible for all services at Central except the Inter-City trains, and for managing the fleets used. I hope everything was running well when you were there David !

Thanks again.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Firstly, I hope your shoulder will soon improve, and don’t worry about the photo’s, it’s just so good you can still post anything under the circumstances.

So, the Glasgow Central photo’s are superb and capture the station so well from that visit on the 17th, February, 1990. I particularly like C13982, of a ‘Blue Train’, 303047. Of course, by the time of that photo’, it was in a completely different livery and the cab windows had undergone their alterations too. But what a fine train they were.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave, and I would like to wish you a very happy birthday with many more to come. 

What a delightful collection of photo’s, and I can see why you’ve chosen them. They are all equally good, of Sewstern, and I particularly like C1228, with Peckett 1158, on a ballast train from Stainby to Sewstern, in April, 1973. What a powerful sight the engine makes as the smokes blasts out of the chimney as it powers the ballast train over the hill. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Happy Birthday David.

At 70 you are still in the type 5 classification so here’s to many more birthdays to come.

Thanks again for the daily present you share with us, have a good day and hope your shoulder feels better soon.

//Simon

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1