Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Winning and North Blyth photo’s which are full of interest. In particular, in J8485, at Winning, with 37200, on an  empty alumina train from Fort William to North Blyth, in January, 1986, whoever it was had certainly made sure the locomotives identity could not be mistaken after scrawling the 200 in huge digits in the dirt on the nose end!

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

C5226.

Sorry to be pedantic, but the 2nd l in Bolcklow is superfluous.

Mike.

Mike,

Many thanks, now corrected.

I'm not sure how it got there, my notes were correct - and I don't think it was the keyboard's fault this time.  I am going to the opticians next week so perhaps new specs will help.

David

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to be late to the (birthday) party Dave but can I please add my birthday wishes and congratulations - not only on a significant age but also on your persistence in keeping this thread going!

Hope the shoulder is feeling better by now...

Phil

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the York photo’s. As always they are full of interest and oozing much nostalgia. In the first photo’, with a class 110 DMU to Scarborough, on the 3rd August, 1986, it is at the rear of a five car set, with a two car Derby class 108 leading. You can tell from the roof vents, which are shell vents, the different tumblehome, and that the half window after the three main saloon side windows does not have opening top lights. Also notice that the secondman’s side of the cab is dented and must have received a knock at some time.

In C13847, with 155344, at what is now platform 6, on the 2nd July, 1989, it’s interesting to note that it can still be seen there at the adjacent platform number 7 on York to Hull services.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, 31A said:

C7862 - I wonder what the vehicle in the background (in what is now the short stay car park!) painted an unusual shade of blue was?

It’s a former Mk1 sleeping car. I can’t recall what it was doing there at that time though, but in use as a mess coach or something like that is my best guess. 

Best regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Market65 said:

It’s a former Mk1 sleeping car. I can’t recall what it was doing there at that time though, but in use as a mess coach or something like that is my best guess. 

Best regards,

Rob.

Thank you; I thought it might be a sleeping car but couldn't really make out what it was!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 31A said:

Thank you; I thought it might be a sleeping car but couldn't really make out what it was!

DB977184/185 (formerly 2042/2010 ) I'm led to believe were  probably the only departmental conversion from a MK1 sleeper. Scrapped at Mayers early 1987. Unusual colour for a departmental and no numbering visible either! 

Regards

Guy

Edited by balders
Incorrect info
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, balders said:

DB977184 (formerly 2042) I'm led to believe was the probably the only departmental conversion from a MK1 sleeper. Scrapped at Mayers early 1987. Unusual colour for a departmental and no numbering visible either! 

Regards

Guy

Thank you!  I thought it looked unusual.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, balders said:

DB977184/185 (formerly 2042/2010 ) I'm led to believe were  probably the only departmental conversion from a MK1 sleeper. Scrapped at Mayers early 1987. Unusual colour for a departmental and no numbering visible either! 

Regards

Guy

Only other mention in a quick search online is of them at Fort William depot in April 1984

http://www.britishrailways.net/rs/1984/rs8404apr.html

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, DaveF said:

Newcastle upon Tyne in 1989 today.  This was the time when the two new through platforms were being added.

Crikey! Was it that long ago? If someone had asked me I would have said little more than 20 years ago. Then again, they were there when we were "diverted" on one of the 'Deltic' Birmingham New Street to Ramsgate services - so that would have been 1998/1999. It's horrifying how fast time flies past as you get older.  :(

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Newcastle upon Tyne photo’s. They are all full of interest, and I love the portrait of 47488 in C11950, with a service from Newcastle to Liverpool, on the 1st June, 1989. It would make a great oil painting.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, DaveF said:

Newcastle upon Tyne in 1989 today.  This was the time when the two new through platforms were being added.

1987354163_Newcastle17thFeb89C11660.jpg.014847e0fb91955cfefa4b76845ebae7.jpg

Newcastle 17th Feb 89 C11660

David

Brilliant reference photo for 1980s-style "hi-viz" trackside clothing there, Dave. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Waverley West said:

Brilliant reference photo for 1980s-style "hi-viz" trackside clothing there, Dave. Thanks!

But tut-tut, the Lookout is being distracted. It looks like he is in conversation with at least two others in the group. If not actually talking, he certainly isn't (wasn't) looking out for trains!  I don't wish to draw any parallels with the recent tragic incident at Margam until we know the full facts when the official report is released, but Lookouts can easily (and inadvertently) be distracted.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Manchester Victoria photo’s which are most interesting and full of nostalgia. In C11706, with 142008, on the 18th March, 1989, you have a photograph which is of great interest with a batch of 142’s to be withdrawn this weekend. Of course, it’s already historical with the livery long gone and the Deans doors having been replaced with Peters doors too - the same ones as fitted to the 143’s and 144’s.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1