Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Foxfield Railway photo’s which how delightful it was back in the ‘70’s. What a bucolic scene in the last photo’, at Dilhorne, with Bagnall, tank engine, J T Daly and another one, Lewisham, on the 29th May, 1978.

The Newcastle photo’s are so delightful and most nostalgic. The first photo’, with 47451, on a Newcastle to Morpeth service, on the 21st March, 1988, shows a further example of how weathering really is.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

The Foxfield photos are very nostalgic, a little bit of information on them.

C2916, the gentleman in the cab of Hawarden is Alan Baker, author of many articles and books on industrial steam and Bagnalls in particular, who was then the owner of the locomotive.

J6111, Lewisham suffered from buffer locking due to very short buffers with small heads, the larger buffer head is a plate clamped over the original buffer head to avoid this on one particularly sharp curve, hence why only one side is done.

C2458, The old ariel ropeway is seen in the background, this carried pit waste to the new tip on the opposite side of the railway to the colliery. The loco on the left is Bagnall 0-4-0ST JT Daly, now resident on Jersey and on the right on packing is Bagnall 0-6-0ST Topham, currently in store on the Spa Valley railway.

C2908, it looks like this is as the train is about to go under the only overbridge on the railway on the Blythe Bridge to Caverswall road on the section of line down to the exchange sidings at Blythe Bridge. This section of line is currently out of use after passenger services started using the new station at Caverswall Road which is next to the bridge. There were also issues with the bridge which had very limited clearances which required the addition of bars to droplight windows on the coaches.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Hartlepool and Easington photo’s on the 14th February, 1989. They are all full of interest, and it’s interesting to see how it changed from sunny to cloudy weather too. In C11633, at Hartlepool, with 143006, on a Middlesbrough to Newcastle service, the shadow from the platform canopy is giving an interesting effect in that there are three shades of blue rather  than two. ;)

The first photo’ is a beautifully composed shot of 37503 on a down van train. It looks resplendent in the February sunshine.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Those folk up North got an unfair share of Pacer services if the photos from the area are anything to go by!:(

That's the only area I ever got to ride on them and wouldn't wish them on anybody! (142s especially)

Edited by melmerby
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, melmerby said:

Those folk up North got an unfair share of Pacer services if the photos from the area are anything to go by!:(

That's the only area I ever got to ride on them and wouldn't wish them on anybody! (142s especially)

They should think themselves lucky. They never swapped the luxury of a Clacton and Walton AM9 EMU for a Dusty Bin. :ireful:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the York photo’s which are full of interest and oozing nostalgia. In particular, C8674, of 150212, on a York to Scarborough service, on the 13th July,  1987, reminds me that the seats on them could be most uncomfortable on a long journey. And in C9537, 47488, on a Liverpool to Newcastle service, on the 26th June, 1988,    makes quite a contrast to the 150 and other units.

It can be seen, from the photo’s, that the catenary had been installed by July, 1989.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

J7302 - was wondering about the desolation at Pegwood, but it seems they must've recently cleared the colliery that was there

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16.35384203901974&lat=55.1805&lon=-1.6420&layers=193&right=BingHyb

Interestingly, the left-hand end of some of the terraces visible were retained, whereas all the other housing in the area was replaced. 

Love the picture as although the train is the main subject, you've captured how the area looked during a era of major change.

Edited by keefer
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Morpeth and Pegswood photo’s. They are full of interest and a reminder of later BR blue days. In the first photo’ of the class 101 unit, at Morpeth, on an ECS movement, with that somewhat battered cab front of 51217, on enlargement of the photo’, looking at the battery box of the DTSL, it can be seen it is not so deep, with a smooth face. This indicates, despite not being able to make out the running number, that it is a class 111 car, for use, originally, with class 111 power cars. These little differences made the first generation units really quite interesting.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

I like the way that the weather closes in as you get closer to Carlisle!

and C14434 - is the lettering on the side  'TW Pacer' ?

You are correct, it does say TWPACER.

The TW standing for Tyne and Wear.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Newcastle to Carlisle photo’s at Riding Mill and Haltwhilstle. They capture both the trains and the railway so perfectly as it was when photographed. In particular I like the first one at Riding Mill, with 43056, leading an HST on a diverted Edinburgh to Kings Cross service on the 15th April, 1989. You can also see another HST going the opposite way, and old telegraph poles can also be seen.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

I like the way that the weather closes in as you get closer to Carlisle!

and C14434 - is the lettering on the side  'TW Pacer' ?

DRS taking no chances with Carlisle weather although they may have mis-understood the current phrase being 'bandied' about - "A Hard winter coming post-brexit" This pair passed through Haltwhistle a couple of hours ago!  

Ernie

2019-09-06 Haltwhistle 37259+218 + snow ploughs, York - Kingmoor

• Like 9
  • Funny 5

20 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

DRS taking no chances with Carlisle weather although they may have mis-understood the current phrase being 'bandied' about - "A Hard winter coming post-brexit" This pair passed through Haltwhistle a couple of hours ago!  

Ernie

2019-09-06 Haltwhistle 37259+218 + snow ploughs, York - Kingmoor

If the same rules still apply, those headlights indicate that its on its way to clear the line!

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

J2737 i think has a faulty headcode box. Any Up trains with a 'D' letter are either York/Newcastle etc to Doncaster, or Hull portions for KX (connecting onto a KX service at Doncaster).

J2848 Can't find a 1A62, but don't think this would be an Edinburgh-KX (that would likely have a 1Exx headcode).

Thats not to say the headcode didn't exist, just that it's not on the Napier Chronicles WTT page (which is my only resource for main-line ECML trains and only lists services diagrammed for, or likely to be worked by a Deltic)

http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/wtt71-72.htm

J2957 1Z88 may be a railtour or excursion train (especially given the ropey mix of stock, some still in maroon)

(Awaits Mark54 to provide the facts!)

Edited by keefer
  • Thanks 1