Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML in Northumberland photo’s which are all very interesting, and full of nostalgia. I particularly like C6586, at Widdrington Station, with a HST, on a down service, going away from the camera, on the 1st August, 1984. It’s a quality shot of that HST, and surrounded by fields that have just been harvested. A lovely rural railway photo’.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Cracking pictures David,  hope Gretta doesn't see them or you will be on list of people that ruined her childhood somehow! 

So sad that scenes like this disappeared so quickly 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sb67 said:

Fantastic pictures, I love the trackside junk in J9433, can anyone tell me what is the area to the right of the picture?

Steve.

The area was used for wagon repairs.

32 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

And obviously a blustery day looking at the exhaust.

It is often blustery on the Northumberland coast, but at least the wind that day was from the west.

It can be a bit cold when the wind is from the north east.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Cambois photo’s, which as others have stated are excellent and full of both interest and detail. In J8987, with 56115, on an empties train, in June, 1987, you have a good shot of the 56, the wagons, trackwork, an 08 and much more.  Such outstanding photo’s.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Steamtown, Carnforth, photo’s which are full of interest. In C8831, that is a great shot of Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway engine, number 1300, on the 8th August, 1987. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the new batch of Cumbrian Coast line photo’s which are inspiring in many ways. They show varied aspects of the line, and in particular C8385, at Nethertown, with a class 108 DMU on a Carlisle to Barrow service on the 22nd April, 1987, shows how windswept the scenery was at that location.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Dry Doddington photo’s on the ECML. All are very interesting, and full of memories. In J8894, with a class 31 on an up parcels train, in May, 1987, I see, on the second GUV, the window panel, after the first double door is in white, and must have been recently renewed in some way.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Harton NCB line at South Shields, plus the photo’ of the Metro line viaduct. All are of interest and   J8527, of Harton low sidings, in April, 1986, is a great view and shows plenty of wagons including some wooden bodied hoppers - 13tons?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

That is not allowed, photos of Harton Staithes. I have just got the want to build a layout of the Staithes out my system since last time you showed some of your photos of them. The photo (J8755) from the ferry is very interesting as there are not many photos from that angle. As for the photo from outside the customs house (J8753), that is the site of Britain's first ever race riot.

1 hour ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the Harton NCB line at South Shields, plus the photo’ of the Metro line viaduct. All are of interest and   J8527, of Harton low sidings, in April, 1986, is a great view and shows plenty of wagons including some wooden bodied hoppers - 13tons?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hi Rob

They were 21 ton hoppers, the hopper design was not quite the same as that of the LNER/BR wagons. Many were rebuilt with wooden bodies. The photos on Paul's site are from Hawthorn Colliery but are a standard NCB design. The sign on the side that looks like a 3 link coupling meant they could travel on BR lines between NCB sites. BR wagons would every now and then get mixed up with the Harton ones. 21tonners were fine. It was 24 1/2 ton ones that caused problems, loaded they would go through the tunnel to the staithes. Unloaded the springs would raise the body enough to prevent a return journey. They did get them out but I am unsure how. If anyone knows can you please share it with the rest of us.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Manchester Oxford Road photo’s which are full of interest and nostalgia. The first one, C14067, with a DMU, which I think is set CH635, is actually a hybrid set. The first car is class 104, a DMSL, then the second car is a class 108, Derby Lightweight, DMBS. Again the different roof vents, body profile and saloon windows are all clues.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1