Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Bowesfield photo’s which are full of interest, and in C18158, with 153319, on a down service, on the 5th December, 1992, that’s a nicely composed shot and the class 153’s will not be in service for very much longer.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Manchester Victoria photo’s. All are of interest, and are now quite nostalgic. In the first photo’, with class 104 DMU, set N665, the unit has a very down at heel looking cab end. Clearly it would soon be withdrawn - I’ll look it up on the Railcar site later this evening.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

C11689 the l/h unit 156451 has been into a buffer-stop or had a rough shunt. Notice the connection drum below the mechanical coupler is well mangled. Surprised it doesnt have a bag tied over it, unless someone kept schtum to avoid trouble!

Edited by keefer
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, keefer said:

C11689 the l/h unit 156451 has been into a buffer-stop or had a rough shunt. Notice the connection drum below the mechanical coupler is well mangled. Surprised it doesnt have a bag tied over it, unless someone kept schtum to avoid trouble!

I thought that too. Somebody knows about it as it appears to have been tied up with red wire or similar.

In the last photo, I see an inspection saloon, presumably there was a loco lurking there too?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Ulgham Lane crossing photo’s which, as ever, are full of interest. What a great view in C13794, of 47305, on an up freight of ICI tanks, on the 14th October, 1989. And, in the last photo’, with 31221, hauling 47207,  that would be a good train to run on a model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

IIRC, the ICI tanks were Anhydrous Ammonia from Haverton Hill (Teesside) to either SAI at Leith or BP at Grangemouth. They ran with a brake van at either end and also a couple of barrier wagons. The reason for the brakevans were to avoid the guard having to pass a leaking tank whilst walking to place detonators to protect the rear of the train in the event of a derailment.

The short freight has a ZRA (formerly VCA) van, probably returning south after delivering loco spares to a Scottish depot, and a couple of bogie side-tippers belonging to Thompson of Prudhoe, which will have delivered agricultural lime to Eastern Scotland (Montrose?).

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the South Newsham photo’s which are all full of interest. In particular, C15608, with 37190, on a tanker train from Alcan North Blyth to Fort William, on the 22nd February, 1991. It is beautifully composed, and is a most inspiring sight.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for continuing to post fascinating and historical photos Dave. Difficult to tell, but in C11581, is that the result of a bird strike on the front of the unit I wonder?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway photo’s which capture the unique qualities of the line and the stock so perfectly. The last photo’, at Ravenglass, with River Esk, in August, 1979, is very well composed and shows the engine waiting the right away underneath the footbridge. 

I like the Newcastle photo’s and all are of interest and so nostalgic. The first photo’, of a HST, on an Aberdeen to Kings Cross train, and a class 101 DMU, in February, 1987, shows the two very iconic faces of BR from those days, which, in the case of the HST is slowing starting to bow out, whilst the 101’s are long gone from mainline service. How times change.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 31/10/2019 at 22:29, DaveF said:

The inspection salon was by itself at the buffer stops.

Note - This photo is repeated here from earlier in this thread to show the inspection saloon.

1124089584_ManchesterVictoria142008andinspectionsaloon11thMarch89C11685.jpg.dbc122cc0241e89eeb67f2ca4973bf73.jpg

Manchester Victoria 142008 and inspection saloon 11th March 89 C11685.jpg

David

The inspection saloon was regularly found stabled on its own at Victoria in that period - either where shown or out towards the remains of Exchange station. 

Simon

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

C11581; that’s a new one on me. I had to look that DMU up to find out what it was. Certainly an arresting colour scheme! And in J9794 is that one of the ex-WR chocolate and cream Class 142s in the background? 

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, iands said:

Many thanks for continuing to post fascinating and historical photos Dave. Difficult to tell, but in C11581, is that the result of a bird strike on the front of the unit I wonder?

It might be - did dmu's go that fast?

49 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

C11581; that’s a new one on me. I had to look that DMU up to find out what it was. Certainly an arresting colour scheme! And in J9794 is that one of the ex-WR chocolate and cream Class 142s in the background? 

It is indeed one of the ex GW Skipper units.

David

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Western Aviator said:

C11581; that’s a new one on me. I had to look that DMU up to find out what it was. Certainly an arresting colour scheme!

I liked that one too when it came out, though it's probably less remembered than the 'Mexican Bean' 104.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Glasgow Central photo’s which are all full of interest. The last one, with 91003, on a service to Kings Cross, on the 29th February, 1992, is a splendid three quarter portrait shot of the 91.  Soon they will be only memories as far as ECML operations are concerned.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

Great photographs, the one of the class 91 in platform 11 made me think that it is very rare to see a London train in that side of the station any more, a check of the current timetable reveals that the only WCML passenger departure from that platform is the evening sleeper.  There is one class 390 on an ECS from Edinburgh to Polmadie CS that berths in platform 9 for a short while around 10:30 in the evening.  Every other 390 departure uses 1 and 2.

Jim

• Thanks 1