Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

12 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

I sit corrected...We had some friends who lived in Hagg Bank, otherwise known as 'The Points', so saw these heaps often.

It is hard to believe that when I first saw these in the early 1970's they were on a whole still white and since then nature has taken over!

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for sharing those photos of Ainsdale and Steamport. 

grew up about 400m from Ainsdale station in the mid 90s and have fond memories of being allowed a go driving one of the small steam locos and signalling trains (under supervision) in the signal box at steam port 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Ainsdale and Southport photo’s which are all full of interest. In J7982, at Southport Pier, with a Bo Bo diesel, in June, 1983, that is a most lovely view of the diesel from the beach. The diesel is one which I’ve not seen before, and thank you for posting the photo’.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

No need to worry about absolute quality Dave, your photos are an interesting and vital record of how all aspects of the railway have changed over the years.

Even quite recent views have changed beyond recognition so please keep posting.

• Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the K&WVR photo’s which are all full of interest. In J4203, near to Haworth, with 118 Brussels, on an Oxenhope to Keighley train in March, 1975, you can see that the second carriage is an ex LMS non corridor carriage. It’s good to know that there are pre BR carriages that have survived into preservation.

What a great selection of Great Eastern photo’s from the 20th October, 1993. They do form a valuable record of the railway regardless of the quality of them. In C19125, at Liverpool Street, with a number of class 313’s that’s a great view of how it was back then, with the EMU’s all in NSE livery. Just so different today.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Davexoc said:

Whittlesford Class 31 31042 Liverpool St to Cambridge July 77 J5729.jpg

Can't be 31042 as it is blue star multi, so 142 or 242 possibly?

Many thanks for the information.  I expect that in trying to both read the number and take the photo that Dad got the number wrong.

David

Edited as I had forgotten it was one of Dad's photos not mine.

Edited by DaveF

On 10/11/2019 at 12:50, Oldddudders said:

True, but there would be a queue of exhibition know-alls telling you it wasn't done like that. 

I have double shunted a few times round the depot, it does save a lot of time.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Davexoc said:

Whittlesford Class 31 31042 Liverpool St to Cambridge July 77 J5729.jpg

Can't be 31042 as it is blue star multi, so 142 or 242 possibly?

With the number of missing windows on the coaches I would hope it isnt in passenger service but was off to the scrapyard, it could of course be a football special.^_^

Edit-

The front coach is mounted on Commonwealth bogies so it could be off to works and the depot have 'borrowed' some windows for spares.

Edited by royaloak
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, royaloak said:

With the number of missing windows on the coaches I would hope it isnt in passenger service but was off to the scrapyard, it could of course be a football special.^_^

Edit-

The front coach is mounted on Commonwealth bogies so it could be off to works and the depot have 'borrowed' some windows for spares.

I think that the apparent blacked out windows are a scanning introduced problem.

David

• Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I think that the apparent blacked out windows are a scanning introduced problem.

David

Ah fair, enough, I hadnt thought about that possibility.

Some absolutely brilliant shots in this thread, TBH I dont think there is a picture I dont like.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Grassington branch photo’s. The first one, at Cracoe, with BR, standard, class 4MT, 75015, from that copy of a slide, in 1967, is just so delightful and shows how dilapidated that steam had become by that year.

The remaining four photo’s at Rylstone, with two class 31’s on an up limestone train on the 11th April, 1990, show interesting differences of the same train by your perspective and your Dad’s. The two cameras and the film used have created different textures to the train and scenery as well as colours. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting to see the train at Whittlesford. I commuted from Cambridge to Liverpool St in the early 70s, and the set usually had the brake vehicle in the middle, whereas this one has a brake second at the front.

Why do I remember? Because a few of us knew that on the up fast in the morning there was a demoted corridor brake composite and we used to hear for the ex first class compartments. Quite a regular club it was.

Jonathan

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Interesting to see the train at Whittlesford. I commuted from Cambridge to Liverpool St in the early 70s, and the set usually had the brake vehicle in the middle, whereas this one has a brake second at the front.

Why do I remember? Because a few of us knew that on the up fast in the morning there was a demoted corridor brake composite and we used to hear for the ex first class compartments. Quite a regular club it was.

Jonathan

Very similar to those that knew about, and headed for the only second class compartment in a Big or Cig on the SR...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Grantham photo’s which are full of interest. In particular, J6965, of Deltic, class 55, 55022, on a  York to Kings Cross train in June, 1980. It’s an excellent shot showing the power and majesty of the powerful 55’s.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1