Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

13 hours ago, SHMD said:

Apart from the skyline, the Oxford Rd pics are little changed from today - apart from the rolling stock that is.

Kev.

And even then, Classes 150 and 156 can still be seen there !

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

C12007 - engineering work with a crane on the slow lines in the background. A Saturday if you look the date up.

Wonder if that was something to do with reconnecting Brush for the class 60s

Great pictures 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, eastwestdivide said:

C12007 - engineering work with a crane on the slow lines in the background. A Saturday if you look the date up.

Thanks for looking up the day of the week.  It makes sense as in June I would have been at work in Newcastle Monday to Friday.

I suspect the other two at Loughborough (which are Dad's) were taken on the same day as there is an engineers train on the down goods line in one of his photos.

So that means we must have both been there for some family event - but I have no idea what it might have been.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Trent and Loughborough photo’s which are all full of interest. In C14264, at Trent, with 47194 on an up oil train on the 9th April, 1990, I’ve enlarged the photo’, but I’m not sure of the bogie tank wagons livery. It cannot be green mould can it? The wagons are those which I’m not familiar with and if someone could supply the answer I’d be most grateful.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the Trent and Loughborough photo’s which are all full of interest. In C14264, at Trent, with 47194 on an up oil train on the 9th April, 1990, I’ve enlarged the photo’, but I’m not sure of the bogie tank wagons livery. It cannot be green mould can it? The wagons are those which I’m not familiar with and if someone could supply the answer I’d be most grateful.

The first one has a Shell logo, so they ought to be grey. Is it just the lighting or the age of the slide?

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Market65 said:

With warmest regards,

Rob.

1 hour ago, Davexoc said:

The first one has a Shell logo, so they ought to be grey. Is it just the lighting or the age of the slide?

Having got the loco somewhere near the right colours I did not succeed in removing the rest of the green colour cast on the scan (the original slide had not kept well).

The wagons ought to be a mucky grey. 

• Thanks 1

On 19/10/2019 at 15:02, DaveF said:

It's only a few days since we last visited the Blyth and Tyne but I thought a few more photos at Cambois would not come amiss.

1755006737_Cambois08872oncraneandClass08shuntingApril85J8268.jpg.aec7bb9cb5c3a7e59d773a88e8036922.jpg

Cambois 08872 on crane and Class 08 shunting April 85 J8268.jpg

1861768888_CamboisBlythweststaithes56124emptiesJan87J8744.jpg.9e0c01a323b162f83f9f91d67b260ef7.jpg

Cambois Blyth west staithes 56124 empties Jan 87 J8744.jpg

1673329524_Cambois56116atpowerstationJune87J8986.jpg.cf84858baddfad6c81055f827df065c0.jpg

Cambois 56116 at power station June 87 J8986.jpg

1372809614_Cambois56115emptiesJune87J8987.jpg.ed7885fc517814f1615daf61b11cf29f.jpg

Cambois 56115 empties June 87 J8987

728162982_Cambois37023AlcanaluminaemptiesFeb88J9433.jpg.773b21dcb56e71c6c3fcc5d828c0a5f2.jpg

Cambois 37023 Alcan alumina empties possibly for repair Feb 88 J9433.jpg

David

Absolutely love seeing pictures of the Blyth/Cambodia area. I grew up in Blyth and most of my family still live there.

In picture J8987, is that a ferry van in the siding at the front left? Wonder what it was doing there?

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Clagsniffer said:

Absolutely love seeing pictures of the Blyth/Cambodia area. I grew up in Blyth and most of my family still live there.

In picture J8987, is that a ferry van in the siding at the front left? Wonder what it was doing there?

I would expect that the Ferry Van on the Van Kip has been used to deliver bagged loco sand to the depot.

Mark Saunders

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

I would expect that the Ferry Van on the Van Kip has been used to deliver bagged loco sand to the depot.

Mark Saunders

17 hours ago, Clagsniffer said:

Cambois may be a bit wild and desolate but it's not quite Cambodia, at least not last week when I was there!

Good to hear from someone who also grew up in Blyth.

Edited by Alcanman
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Radcliffe on Trent photo’s which are all full of interest. In particular, J6441, with an unidentified class 47, on a Manchester to Parkeston Quay train, in April, 1979, is a beautifully composed shot and what a flurry of exhaust to be seen from the 47 too.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/10/2019 at 04:41, Brit70053 said:

Hi Dave,

Really nice photos from the Summerlees  Heritage site. I wish the SAR Class 4112.... plus a comment from a volunteer/ staff member , which we genuinely didn't know whether to take seriously or not, that "Its missing its tender"  indicated that it was not much loved. Great shame for such an impressive machine....

I looked up that loco and according to much internet information, the tender was nothing more than a basic bogie tank car which could be attached to either end, depending on role, route or 'trim'. It could operate without but was limited in range.

Apparently it has been cosmetically restored recently. Appropriately located as it was built under licence at NBL, it's a shame there is nowhere to have it run even if it could be steamed.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, daveyb said:

I looked up that loco and according to much internet information, the tender was nothing more than a basic bogie tank car which could be attached to either end, depending on role, route or 'trim'. It could operate without but was limited in range.

Apparently it has been cosmetically restored recently. Appropriately located as it was built under licence at NBL, it's a shame there is nowhere to have it run even if it could be steamed.

Many Australian steam locos, and more so in the preservation era, ran/run with one or more water tanks (or "gins") attached for precisely that reason.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/coreygibsonphotography/29506958677/

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Alcanman said:

Cambois may be a bit wild and desolate but it's not quite Cambodia, at least not last week when I was there!

Good to hear from someone who also grew up in Blyth.

I wrote Cambodia without even a second thought, it’s just what we called it as kids growing up, didn’t think of the confusion it would cause people reading on here :lol:.

I grew up in a house on south beach, my father still lives there. Educated at south beach first school, Wensleydale middle and Ridley high. Blyth always gets a bit of stick but very undeserved for the most part!

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Clagsniffer said:

I wrote Cambodia without even a second thought, it’s just what we called it as kids growing up, didn’t think of the confusion it would cause people reading on here :lol:.

I grew up in a house on south beach, my father still lives there. Educated at south beach first school, Wensleydale middle and Ridley high. Blyth always gets a bit of stick but very undeserved for the most part!

There is a South Walian equivalent- Khymer Afan.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

'Ridley High School' used to be 'Newlands County Secondary School' when I attended in 1971 - 1976.....great school,

Edited by michaelp
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, michaelp said:

'Ridley High School' used to be 'Newlands County Secondary School' when I attended in 1970 - 1976.....great school,

Very odd; the quote appears to be from me, yet I didn't post it. For clarity, I only visited Cambois as a tourist, though I did have a colleague at Eurotunnel (Alan Dobie) who was born and brought up there.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, michaelp said:

'Ridley High School' used to be 'Newlands County Secondary School' when I attended in 1971 - 1976.....great school,

Newlands when I was there back in the 1960s. We had a great teacher who took us on trainspotting trips around the country which was the beginning of my life long interest in railways.

Edited by Alcanman
  • Thanks 1