Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

The 310 and 312 units are Emus that I much regret the 'passing' of (if indeed they have all gone). I think i have only travelled on them maybe twice in my life, but they were increadably comfortable (even with the doors to each bay) and quiet. Why they couldn't have been continued in production instead of the horrors that are the later designs is beyond me. The 317's that trundle around here are appalling and the 365's aren't that much better.

Oh for real trains again.

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

C2465 is a good pic showing a 2-car 309 - I take it a 'full' train was 1x2car and 2x4car, with train splitting en-route? Later on they were made up to 4 cars using ex-loco hauled mk1s.

The 309s had Commonwealth bogies (also the only example of powered CWs) and the 310/312s had bogies derived from the B4, which probably explains the quality of the ride.

Interestingly the 309s were basically mk1s, while the 310/312s were the only MUs directly based on the mk2 carriage (i.e. the integral body notwithstanding the multiple doors/windows)

Clacton's were just beautiful and were comfortable as well (until they fitted Mk3 type seating).  :sungum:

The building in C3686 behind the proper train with the wavey roof was the Marconi works canteen. You soon learnt where you were not allowed to sit to have your meal when you were new to Marconi's. :nono:  :nono: They are now building flats on the site.   :resent:  :resent: 

Thanks for the info, Clive. I guess my dad would have sat in that canteen too. Nice to be able to see where he went to work.  

If you work it out that gives the thread a life of 16.6 years, which will actually not be achieved as some photos are very poor quality and several thousand images were taken in Europe - one day I might start another thread for those.

I shan't be able to match your longevity.  You must have a complete room given over to colour slides!

I'm glad you say that some of your slides are of very poor quality as some of mine are the same, especially my early attempts.  At the age of 16 I could only just afford a second-hand 35mm camera.  An exposure meter was out of the question.  This left me having to estimate / guess the lighting level; easy on a summer's day, less easy in January in the depths of Manchester Victoria.  And, of course, you didn't know what you'd got until the slides came back from the developer.  Like you, I've been digital for some ten years which makes life a lot easier but I still find myself trying to compose a shot rather than just clicking away and deleting the dross.  Old habits die hard.

Chris Turnbull 

Edited by Chris Turnbull

• RMweb Gold

I shan't be able to match your longevity.  You must have a complete room given over to colour slides!

I'm glad you say that some of your slides are of very poor quality as some of mine are the same, especially my early attempts.  At the age of 16 I could only just afford a second-hand 35mm camera.  An exposure meter was out of the question.  This left me having to estimate / guess the lighting level; easy on a summer's day, less easy in January in the depths of Manchester Victoria.  And, of course, you didn't know what you'd got until the slides came back from the developer.  Like you, I've been digital for some ten years which makes life a lot easier but I still find myself trying to compose a shot rather than just clicking away and deleting the dross.  Old habits die hard.

Chris Turnbull 

I did have a lot of colour slides, they went to the tip after scanning as they were deteriorating - they hadn't been kept in complete darkness and were going pink, some had faded badly, even recent ones.  I scanned all the good ones and the less good interesting ones.

I still try to compose shots, but I do take a lot more photos now - especially landscapes and seascapes.

David

• RMweb Gold

I went out for a short while this afternoon between the snow showers and stopped at Damdykes, just south of Cramlington on the ECML for a short while.

The lighting was good while the sun was out, the showers were less pleasant.

post-5613-0-36965800-1420903782_thumb.jpg

Damdykes 91 up 10th Jan 2015 DSC_5051

post-5613-0-35025500-1420903788_thumb.jpg

Damdykes 91 up ex pass 10th Jan 2015 DSC_5052

post-5613-0-05015200-1420903792_thumb.jpg

Damdykes Class 142 down Newcastle to Morpeth 10th Jan 2015 DSC_5057

post-5613-0-65119500-1420903797_thumb.jpg

Damdykes Class 221 up 10th Jan 2015 DSC_5059

post-5613-0-17369100-1420903801_thumb.jpg

Damdykes crossing Class 221 up 10th Jan 2015 DSC_5061

More old photos to follow later.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Good photo's of the ECML at Damdykes today, especially in that weather! I like the Derbyshire photo's, and in C3790, with a 37, in April, 1978, at Barrow Hill and Staveley, you can see where one of the platforms used to be. In C3792, that is a great shot of two 20's, with 20057 leading.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

I did have a lot of colour slides, they went to the tip after scanning as they were deteriorating - they hadn't been kept in complete darkness and were going pink, some had faded badly, even recent ones.  I scanned all the good ones and the less good interesting ones.

I still try to compose shots, but I do take a lot more photos now - especially landscapes and seascapes.

David

Good afternoon Dave and Chris,

Really enjoying your postings and sharing the thoughts about taking and scanning slides! I started taking photos in the mid-70s initially using prints despite my oppos using Kodachrome 64! I wasn't convinced with the better quality (and also consistency) of slide film for a few years so now have a small quantity of prints and about 2500 slides taken from about 1979 onwards until going digital about the same time as you guys.

I've run out of steam (excuse the pun!) scanning with only the HSTs to go plus preserved railways from about 1982 onwards and trying to get the motivation to get final couple of boxes done is a real pain!

The quality of your work far outstrips my humble efforts and what I really enjoy is the everyday nature of subjects at the time of taking which have become real historical records 40-50 years on. I must admit to feeling far more 'self-conscious' about taking pictures at public/busy locations such as mainline stations etc.now than 'back in the day' Not sure if its because a middle-aged bloke with a camera taking general transport photos is seen as odd? Why this should be the case I don't know when youngsters think nothing of fooling about taking 'selfies' on camera 'phones?! Probably some interesting psychology there!!

Anyway, please keep posting, really enjoying seeing the photos, Andy    

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon Dave and Chris,

Really enjoying your postings and sharing the thoughts about taking and scanning slides! I started taking photos in the mid-70s initially using prints despite my oppos using Kodachrome 64! I wasn't convinced with the better quality (and also consistency) of slide film for a few years so now have a small quantity of prints and about 2500 slides taken from about 1979 onwards until going digital about the same time as you guys.

I've run out of steam (excuse the pun!) scanning with only the HSTs to go plus preserved railways from about 1982 onwards and trying to get the motivation to get final couple of boxes done is a real pain!

The quality of your work far outstrips my humble efforts and what I really enjoy is the everyday nature of subjects at the time of taking which have become real historical records 40-50 years on. I must admit to feeling far more 'self-conscious' about taking pictures at public/busy locations such as mainline stations etc.now than 'back in the day' Not sure if its because a middle-aged bloke with a camera taking general transport photos is seen as odd? Why this should be the case I don't know when youngsters think nothing of fooling about taking 'selfies' on camera 'phones?! Probably some interesting psychology there!!

Anyway, please keep posting, really enjoying seeing the photos, Andy    

I know what you mean about taking photos in some locations nowadays.  Fortunately up here in Northumberland there are lots of quiet locations to visit - though not all have too many trains!  If I go into cities I usually just take a compact camera (and it is a very small one).

David

• RMweb Gold

Is that a 24 or a 25/0 on the front as it appears to have yellow down the corner of the bufferbeam?

I didn't make a note of the number for cataloguing the photo, but I thought it was a 25.  I was going to say that the original scan is no clearer than the one on here - and the slide was no better.  However I've just gone back to the folder with the scans in and have found a second photo of the rescue, it is a 24.  I'll post the photo in a few minutes when I have cleaned it up a bit.  Meanwhile I've altered the caption.  Very many thanks.

David

• RMweb Gold

The photo of the 24 at Grindleford coming to the rescue of the failed 45.

I'd forgotten I'd got this photo until I went back to my slide catalogue to check!

post-5613-0-92963900-1421002865_thumb.jpg

Grindleford dead Class 45 waiting for the Class 24 removed from freight to be put on front of train at Grindleford May 72 C0943

Edit - I do know that if you enlarge the photo it says it's a 25, it is in fact a 24, I forgot to alter it before uploading.

Many thank s to Brian Daniels for pointing out the loco looked like a 24 not a 25 in yesterday's photos.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Hi,Dave. I love those photo's of the Severn Valley Railway. In C552, of 45110, at Bridgnorth, in the extreme right of the photo' it is just possible to make out a 'porthole' CK (composite corridor) carriage.

The photo's of Shirebrook, in April, 1978, are full of interest, and in C3783, you can see the remains of the station. In C3788, there are two 20's going about their daily work without any fuss.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Excellent again Dave, I always think Shirebrook looks like an unfeasible model,little country station with a quite sizeable diesel depot. You see it modelled but never looks right!!

LD&ECR What a railway that would have been had it been completed, would have had Britain's highest viaduct crossing the midland on in monsal dale on an angle. And think of the current post industrial decay in the huge dock at Sutton on sea!

Shirebrook, C3788 - the signalbox is still standing, spruced up a bit, and astonishingly, so is the little hut in front of it. The station's looking a lot tidier these days too, after being reopened part of the Robin Hood Lline:

post-6971-0-27617100-1421012019.jpg

(Jan 2013 photo) 

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Shirebrook, C3788 - the signalbox is still standing, spruced up a bit, and astonishingly, so is the little hut in front of it. The station's looking a lot tidier these days too, after being reopened part of the Robin Hood Lline:

attachicon.gifIMGP5704.jpg

(Jan 2013 photo) 

I've not been to Shirebrook since it reopened so thanks very much for the photo.

David