Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Hi, Dave. A fantastic selection of photo's of Crewe from 1971. In photo' C502 is a class 121 on a service to Cardiff, and I did not realise that these units got as far as Crewe.

All the best,

Market65.

They were coupled to a Cross-Country set to provide 300 hp of much needed extra power.  As I understand it they were locked empty and sometimes replaced by 116 power cars, 50090 and 50132 being quite regular performers.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Some nice shots once more, Dave. That one of the train of vans hauled by two 25s intrigues me. The third vehicle from the left-hand end is an ex-GWR Mink G- I'd always believed the last examples of these in the revenue fleet had gone by the mid-1960s, but this one doesn't look as though it's gone over to engineer's use. Immediately to its left is what looks to be one of the spectacularly unsuccessful Dia 1/211 Palvans; again a type that had gone into non-revenue use a long while before, I thought. It certainly doesn't have the white stripes of the 'Palvan-Shocks' in the same train.

The other freight shot looks as though it's composed of Tube wagons from Corby.

Do you mean third wagon from the right hand end?  The van on the very right also seems to be of the same design with, as you say, no indication of 'departmental' use - perhaps the remains of a pasted traders label between the middle uprights.  The first three vehicles seem to be Continental ferry vans.

Interesting that the junction seems to have been removed during the time between the first two pictures.

Do you mean third wagon from the right hand end?  The van on the very right also seems to be of the same design with, as you say, no indication of 'departmental' use - perhaps the remains of a pasted traders label between the middle uprights.  The first three vehicles seem to be Continental ferry vans.

Interesting that the junction seems to have been removed during the time between the first two pictures.

Left and right suitably corrected, Steve. I hadn't noticed that the wagon nearest the camera was also a Mink G.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

C398 and the cravens rear car, is it coupled to a class 100 DMBS?

A small part of Saxby box remains, my living room stove was recovered from the box, and still shows scars from where it was thrown from the top of the stairs. The base plate is cracked and the doors are a bit wonky!

Andy G

• Like 2

C398 and the cravens rear car, is it coupled to a class 100 DMBS?

Andy G

The front unit looks to be a 3 car BRCW 104, DMC+TC+DMBS. As mentioned by uax6 above the rear 2 car set looks to be a GRCW class 100 DMBS and a Cravens 105 DTC but with the first class removed making it a DTS. Not uncommon for an East Anglian unit, The Class 100 gives it away as an East Anglian set for that date as would most probably be the 104.

Paul J.

The 122's were a regular feature on the Cardiff-Crewe workings up until the Swindon 123's and then 25 & coaches took over. Although usually locked out of use, as already mentioned, they were sometimes opened up for passenger use as found out by a Hereford traincrew who decided to ride back from Crewe one day in the empty unit, rearranged the seats to form comfortable beds. They slept soundly until just before Hereford and on waking up found themselves surrounded by unhappy standing passengers, the unit having been unlocked for public use at Shrewsbury.

Paul J.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great selection of photo's of Saxby today. Swindon 123 is correct about the formation of the DMU in the first photo'. Instead of a Cravens DMBS the DMBS is a Gloucester class 100 car, with the class 104 formation exactly as stated.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

If there's an afterlife with choice of locations and times, I would like to spend it in Crewe around that period in time.

Having lived in Crewe at that time, you cannot be serious. (Although there were some good times to be had with the students from the teacher training college, but those stories wouldn't get through the filter on here)

• Like 2

To be specific, I mean Crewe the station, not Crewe the town. Oh, and I'd expect better sartorial options. Unfortunately I never really travelled much on the UK network outside of the Birmingham area, and seldom with a camera, so reliving the childhood adventures I never had via this thread.

• RMweb Gold

Some from visits to the Kent and East Sussex in the second half of the 1970s for this afternoon.

It was always a pleasant place to visit, everyone was friendly and helpful.  As usual the weather was not always brilliant.  

The journey there from Essex could be quite slow especially as in those days there was only the original Dartford Tunnel. 

post-5613-0-65746500-1440943954_thumb.jpg

Tenterden ex NSB 2-6-0 19 hauling broken down GWR railcar 20 15th May 76 C2718

post-5613-0-83234100-1440943958_thumb.jpg

Tenterden Terrier 10 Sutton Sept 77 C3547

post-5613-0-68370000-1440943963_thumb.jpg

Tenterden Terrier 10 Sutton taking water Sept 78 C4137

post-5613-0-76777400-1440943974_thumb.jpg

Tenterden Bank ex NSB 19 27th Dec 76 C3161

post-5613-0-03978500-1440943981_thumb.jpg

Tenterden Bank Hunslet 24 William Austen climbing bank July 79 C4631

post-5613-0-07949600-1440943985_thumb.jpg

Wittersham Road Hunslet 24 William Austen running round July 79 C4624

David

• Like 19

Is it just me or does the pair of 87s and the 86 look like they have a more orange tint to the yellow front than the 81. I'm asking because when they were repainted into the last intercity livery with the full yellow end, the colour looks like it changed again into a paler yellow.

Yes, they are different shades. I repaint numerous examples all of the time, early warning yellow is just that, later warning yellow as introduced when large logo and Railfreight liveries started to become more commonplace, has a much warmer more orangey shade.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photo's of the Kent and East Sussex Railway. I especially like those two of Terrier number 10 Sutton. Then some very atmospheric photo's of Preston in 1971. Interesting to see in C769 that the class 104 DMU has the white stripe at waist level to denote that it is has had some work carried out on it's bogies to help smooth the ride on certain services.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photo's of the Kent and East Sussex Railway. I especially like those two of Terrier number 10 Sutton. Then some very atmospheric photo's of Preston in 1971. Interesting to see in C769 that the class 104 DMU has the white stripe at waist level to denote that it is has had some work carried out on it's bogies to help smooth the ride on certain services.

All the best,

Market65.

I remember I often saw these at Manchester VIctoria on the longer distance dmu services, including some to Preston and Blackpool.

David

• RMweb Gold

Some from visits to the Kent and East Sussex in the second half of the 1970s for this afternoon.

It was always a pleasant place to visit, everyone was friendly and helpful.  As usual the weather was not always brilliant.  

The journey there from Essex could be quite slow especially as in those days there was only the original Dartford Tunnel. 

attachicon.gifa Tenterden ex NSB 2-6-0 19 hauling broken down GWR railcar 20 15th May 76 C2718.jpg

Tenterden ex NSB 2-6-0 19 hauling broken down GWR railcar 20 15th May 76 C2718

attachicon.gifa Tenterden Terrier 10 Sutton Sept 77 C3547.jpg

Tenterden Terrier 10 Sutton Sept 77 C3547

attachicon.gifa Tenterden Terrier 10 Sutton taking water Sept 78 C4137.jpg

Tenterden Terrier 10 Sutton taking water Sept 78 C4137

attachicon.gifc Tenterden Bank ex NSB 19 27th Dec 76 C3161.jpg

Tenterden Bank ex NSB 19 27th Dec 76 C3161

attachicon.gifc Tenterden Bank Hunslet 24 William Austen climbing bank July 79 C4631.jpg

Tenterden Bank Hunslet 24 William Austen climbing bank July 79 C4631

attachicon.gifj Wittersham Road Hunslet 24 William Austen running round July 79 C4624.jpg

Wittersham Road Hunslet 24 William Austen running round July 79 C4624

David

Nice Rover 3500S in almond...

Kevin

ITs not the TC its the 3500 V8 although the body etc is the same there is a V8 on grill. I owned the V8S  that was manual gearbox  (1971) LOVED IT about 19 miles to the gallon on average  disc brakes all round. Even though the V8 had twin carbs they were not  called TC s . The TC was 2200cc with a cheaper interior  .  My Dad bought  a 2200 TC second hand which was Brian Cloughs Think he only bought it to see his name on log book under previous owners.

regards phil

• Like 4

ITs not the TC its the 3500 V8 although the body etc is the same there is a V8 on grill. I owned the V8S  that was manual gearbox  (1971) LOVED IT about 19 miles to the gallon on average  disc brakes all round. Even though the V8 had twin carbs they were not  called TC s . The TC was 2200cc with a cheaper interior  .  My Dad bought  a 2200 TC second hand which was Brian Cloughs Think he only bought it to see his name on log book under previous owners.

regards phil

The 3500S was one of the few cars I really wanted, along with the Daimler 250 - the one with the Jaguar MkII bodyshell - also manual. Still, I've been happy enough with the Ford Prefect 107E for the last 45 years.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The 3500S was one of the few cars I really wanted, along with the Daimler 250 - the one with the Jaguar MkII bodyshell - also manual. Still, I've been happy enough with the Ford Prefect 107E for the last 45 years.

Owning a string of 3500S's and using them for the work in Sheffield was not the most economical use of my wages, some weeks I almost got into double figures mpg wise.

Mike.

• Like 1

Owning a string of 3500S's and using them for the work in Sheffield was not the most economical use of my wages, some weeks I almost got into double figures mpg wise.

Mike.

I had a Landy fitted with a Range Rover 3.5 V8  that was like that... ;-)