Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

For a few years in the late 60s/early 70s Dad sometimes used to set out to photograph railway lines fairly close to a county boundary.   From time to time I'll post these as and when I come across a small set of them.  The difficulty is finding them as visits to an area may be several months (or years ) apart.

I think there is probably an index to them by county but so far I haven't studied that book.  In all I have 46 books of his notes on his photographs and indexes by place, loco class, original company etc.

Staggering, that level of organisational skill. What did he do for a living?

• RMweb Gold

Staggering, that level of organisational skill. What did he do for a living?

At one time he was a headmaster, then he managed a small group of businesses including an engineering works and electronics factory and a "preserved" railway system based on the Ironstone lines at the end of the High Dyke branch.   Like many people in the mid 70s he was made redundant and after various other jobs he had a big heart attack in his late 50s and didn't work again, though he lived into his late 70s following surgery.  He did most of his work on his slide catalogues and indexes as a hobby after he was unable to work.

My notes on my photos are less extensive - only about 33 books.

Both of us always catalogued our slides at least as far as location,  loco, date etc as soon as they came back from being processed. 

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 7

My notes on my photos are less extensive - only about 33 books.

Both of us always catalogued our slides at least as far as location,  loco, date etc as soon as they came back from being processed. 

David

Clearly like father like son!  :no:  :no:

Please keep the pictures coming David, can't believe the coverage you have between you.

Wish I'd known you would be at Newcastle show, I was there with New Hey. Would have liked to say hello.

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

Clearly like father like son!  :no:  :no:

Please keep the pictures coming David, can't believe the coverage you have between you.

Wish I'd known you would be at Newcastle show, I was there with New Hey. Would have liked to say hello.

Kevin

I wasn't there for very long as I had other commitments that day so didn't have much chance to talk to people behind their layouts.  

The next exhibition I'll be going to, to look at layouts and spend money (I gave up exhibiting in the 90s) is Railex NE at the Quorum Business Park, Newcastle upon Tyne on 12th/13th December.

David

Edited by DaveF

1M21 is the 12:10 Sheffield-St Pancras. The third coach is an FK and indicates it is the SX train, as it wasn't marshalled SO. The first coach is a TSO with 2+2 seating, but should be an SO with 2+1 seating as half was used for dining to augment the RU restaurant car.

J2395 is I believe 8C60 the 12:40SO (or thereabouts) Wellingborough-Brent

J2396 is I believe 8F26 the 11:50SO (or thereabouts) Limbury Road-Wellingborough empties

For a few years in the late 60s/early 70s Dad sometimes used to set out to photograph railway lines fairly close to a county boundary.   From time to time I'll post these as and when I come across a small set of them.  The difficulty is finding them as visits to an area may be several months (or years ) apart.

I think there is probably an index to them by county but so far I haven't studied that book.  In all I have 46 books of his notes on his photographs and indexes by place, loco class, original company etc.

Here are four from the Midland main line with one on the "other" route to London via Melton Mowbray.

attachicon.gifEast Langton Class 47 1949 Sheffield to St Pancras Feb 71 J2523.jpg

East Langton Class 47 1949 Sheffield to St Pancras Feb 71 J2523

attachicon.gifDesborough Class 45 115 Sheffield to St Pancras Oct 70 J2413.jpg

Desborough Class 45 115 12.40 SX Sheffield to St Pancras Oct 70 J2413

attachicon.gifIrchester Class 47 up freight Oct 70 J2395.jpg

Irchester Class 47 up freight 120.40 Wellingborough to Brent Oct 70 J2395

attachicon.gifIrchester Class 47 down freight Oct 70 J2396.jpg

Irchester Class 47 down freight 11.50 SO Limbury toWellingborough Oct 70 J2396

attachicon.gifHarringworth viaduct March 71 J2541.jpg

Harringworth viaduct March 71 J2541

David

Some lovely shots of my "local" railway, on the whole there's not been much change on the railway in those shots. I did wonder about the date of the Harringworth picture though, towards the top you can see the top of the boom of a dragline in Shotley Quarry. Up until "Sundew" was transferred from Exton in 1974, the machines there were fairly small by comparison and that one looks quite sizeable given its over a mile from where the picture was taken?

• RMweb Gold

Some lovely shots of my "local" railway, on the whole there's not been much change on the railway in those shots. I did wonder about the date of the Harringworth picture though, towards the top you can see the top of the boom of a dragline in Shotley Quarry. Up until "Sundew" was transferred from Exton in 1974, the machines there were fairly small by comparison and that one looks quite sizeable given its over a mile from where the picture was taken?

I can confirm the Harringworth date, Dad's slide numbers are all (with about 10 exceptions in the late 50s) in chronological order and his notes also give the month and year for the photo.  I wonder if the dragline is working at the surface removing overburden.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Some very nostalgic photo's of the Talyllyn Railway. A lovely line, which was beautifully photographed all those years ago.

The Southern electric photo's show trains on their everyday duties. A good selection.

With best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifBarnetby 56066 down empty coal and 56081 up coal 30th May 91 C15886.jpg

No go area for spotters today where those lads are. Barnetby still good but not for a lot longer sadly when the Coal Stations go and with Scunny cutbacks.

I also wonder if the Drax Biomass service will continue for much longer?

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

Hi Dave, please forgive the late response to the topic as I have been playing catch up with the last few days posts.

Doubtless it has been done, but C6877 at Mailaig junction is crying out to be modelled.

Ps. I'm green with envy with the notes of both you and you late father- all I have are my fading memories and scribbled notes from myself and my late father in spotters books!

Can I make a small plea with regards to this thread?   The photos are superb, and the added information that people post just increases the value & richness, so would it be possible when adding that information to include the date the picture was posted too?

For example... where the hell is C6877?  Okay, so in this case I know I'm looking for Mallaig so the southern EMUs can be skipped over, but I've got to check each and every photo over the past few days to try and find the one being referred to - in this case it's two pages back.  The above post is far from the only example so it's nothing personal '45059'.

So, when adding extra info could we say something like '24 Nov - C6877 at Mallaig junction is crying out to be modelled'.  Navigating the thread by date is so much easier than checking the C number under each photo.

Thanks!

Does the date posted actually help? Perhaps the page number in the thread on which it was posted would be quicker?

Mostly the comments are only same page or one after the photo being discussed anyway.

Alternative method to find a photo if it's not on the same page - type the photo number into the RMWeb search box top right, and it should present the one and only page with that photo on.

• RMweb Gold

Can I make a small plea with regards to this thread?   The photos are superb, and the added information that people post just increases the value & richness, so would it be possible when adding that information to include the date the picture was posted too?

For example... where the hell is C6877?  Okay, so in this case I know I'm looking for Mallaig so the southern EMUs can be skipped over, but I've got to check each and every photo over the past few days to try and find the one being referred to - in this case it's two pages back.  The above post is far from the only example so it's nothing personal '45059'.

So, when adding extra info could we say something like '24 Nov - C6877 at Mallaig junction is crying out to be modelled'.  Navigating the thread by date is so much easier than checking the C number under each photo.

Thanks!

Does the date posted actually help? Perhaps the page number in the thread on which it was posted would be quicker?

Mostly the comments are only same page or one after the photo being discussed anyway.

Alternative method to find a photo if it's not on the same page - type the photo number into the RMWeb search box top right, and it should present the one and only page with that photo on.

To be honest even I sometimes have problems finding particular photos when someone comments a few days after they have been posted.  Although I keep a record copy of everything I post it isn't done by date as that would be too cumbersome for me to use easily.

So perhaps a comment with the page number or date might be useful for those who cannot (unlike me) simply go to my own PC to look at the original image file which is what I do.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the photo's of the Cambrian Coast line which you have posted here today. In the third photo', it is interesting to see a class 101 DMU still in unrefurbished condition as late as 1982.

The last two photo's show how weed infested the track had become by 2001/02.

With best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

C26003. Spot the spelling mistake.

Ooops,

Thanks for that.

Not many people know about the section of the Cambrian Coast which has a third rail and uses modified 158s.....

It's yet another case of my useless typing - probably on the number pad part of my keyboard.

David