Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Definitely prefer the older photos, the trains were so much more interesting!

I like travelling on modern trains or what passes for them out of Weymouth but the lack of leg room is really annoying! 

Having said that quite a lot of our trains have morphed into buses and not just at weekends.

Edited by mullie

• RMweb Premium

Definitely prefer the older photos, the trains were so much more interesting!

I like travelling on modern trains or what passes for them out of Weymouth but the lack of leg room is really annoying! 

Having said that quite a lot of our trains have morphed into buses and not just at weekends.

That is so true of many areas isn't it. Normally I would curse that sort of situation but whilst visiting Ross on Wye (as I do every so often to see family) I realised that the modern Ross to Hereford bus service, that is about half hourly, is actually a superb service compared to what the railway provided back in the 60s. 

Apologies.....I didn't like writing that.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great ECML photo's. In C5404, I do agree about the weathering on the Cravens DTSL, and it would look good on the Bachmann model!

In the last photo' both DMU cars are class 108.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great ECML photo's. In C5404, I do agree about the weathering on the Cravens DTSL, and it would look good on the Bachmann model!

In the last photo' both DMU cars are class 108.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Thanks,

My useless typing once again.

David

I thought we'd have a change from preserved steam today and take a look at the Southend Pier railway as it was in the mid to late 1970s.

I quite often used to visit Southend when I lived in Basildon, if I went to the pier I always enjoyed the walk and very rarely rode on the train.

attachicon.gifSouthend Pier October 1974 C1818.jpg

Southend Pier October 1974 C1818

attachicon.gifSouthend Pier October 1974 C1820.jpg

Southend Pier October 1974 C1820

attachicon.gifSouthend Pier from pierhead July 1975 C2188.jpg

Southend Pier from pierhead July 1975 C2188

attachicon.gifSouthend Pier 30th April 1978 C3811.jpg

Southend Pier 30th April 1978 C3811

attachicon.gifSouthend Pier 30th April 1978 C3819.jpg

Southend Pier 30th April 1978 C3819

attachicon.gifSouthend Pier SNCB Reine Astrid from PS Waverley May 79 C4473.jpg

Southend Pier SNCB Reine Astrid from PS Waverley May 79 C4473

David

Thanks for these, David.

Interesting on C1820 the ventilation grill is directly in the driver's line of site; granted that it was unlikely he had a great need to see much!  

And would I be right to think that the large office block to the rhs of the following photo (C2188) was at Chartwell Square?  Home to our plastic flexible friend, if so!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for these, David.

Interesting on C1820 the ventilation grill is directly in the driver's line of site; granted that it was unlikely he had a great need to see much!  

And would I be right to think that the large office block to the rhs of the following photo (C2188) was at Chartwell Square?  Home to our plastic flexible friend, if so!

It looks like one of those rotating windscreen wipers often seen on ships. I remember them being tried on the main line, including EM2 No. 27002, but they didn't catch on.

J075 - very interesting wagons as the first and second vehicles behind the 8F - the first appears to have two side panels which drop down, the second looks like a 5-plank open body which has been lengthened with two extra panels and plonked on a longer chassis...

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Some lovely photos of the Midland Railway Erewash Valley line. I particularly like J075, at Pye Bridge with 8F 48126. The second wagon, is it a pipe or tube wagon?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

It looks like the BR built tube wagon to an earlier LMS design, as seen here - http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brlmstube/h365401e1#h365401e1

Edited, to add that I am beginning to doubt myself now because that particular design had corrugated ends which the one in David's photo seems not to have.

Edited by jonny777

• RMweb Gold

Excellent again Dave

2850 is interesting,the 20s have the sub (signal) but if as I suspect this is to take them to the down main. This has cleared very quickly after the coal train,but any other visible route they would receive a main aspect

• RMweb Gold

Excellent again Dave

2850 is interesting,the 20s have the sub (signal) but if as I suspect this is to take them to the down main. This has cleared very quickly after the coal train,but any other visible route they would receive a main aspect

It looks like TT66 signal on the Up & Down Goods at Blackwell South Junction. The line straight ahead was a siding and the signal showed a sub and stencil for that move or a main aspect for the Up Main.

J075 - very interesting wagons as the first and second vehicles behind the 8F - the first appears to have two side panels which drop down, the second looks like a 5-plank open body which has been lengthened with two extra panels and plonked on a longer chassis...

Very common in this area. a Pipe, either LNER or the BR built LNER Pipe diag 1/461. http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brpipe/e2a5b4f54   The second is an LMS tube with plank end http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lmstube/e38b93d25

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

Great to see those old pics of Manors station, reminds me of my old 'spotting days in the 1960s when Manors was the terminus for the Blyth & Tyne. We used to change from the 101 DMU onto a Tyneside Electric to complete our journey to Newcastle Central.

The alternative was a change at Backworth onto a Tyneside Electric. 

Happy days!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Don't suppose we could creep around the corner a bit to Trafalgar Yard & then down to Quayside?

Phil

That had all gone before I moved to the north east, very sadly.

David

C5537 looks like another Cl101/105 hybrid set. Nice shot of a 4 car BRCW 104 as well. No first class on it, which seemed to be the norm of units around there. Yet more fascinating photos David. Always look forward to seeing what you put on the thread next with anticipation.

Paul j.