Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Smashing photos Dave

Wonder how D1670 ended up on an ECML working?

Phil

I can guarantee that I was not spotting that day. I never was when rare workings appeared.  :(

Although, thinking about it, had I have been lineside that day I would probably have choked on my Lyons Fruit Pie; and of course none of my mates would have believed me.

Edited to add that I don't know the precise route through London of cement services from Kent that year, but if they were going  via Kew, Acton, Neasden, Dudding Hill, and Junction Road Junction and the 33 failed near Acton, then an Old Oak substitution would be a distinct possibility.

J1422 7C42 was a conditional service from Barnetby to Grantham which left Barnetby at 1031 when required. Judging by the shortness of the train and that many of the iron ore trains were running as class 4 during that year, and direct to Colsterworth in an effort to fit them in with main line services, it may be bringing wagons that had run hot on previous services.

Edited by jonny777

C4603 - the hoppers look like the ones used on the sand train from ?Mark's Tey to the Bow area between Stratford and Liverpool St

HKV's by the look of them, although there looks to be a brake van on the back, so maybe the odd HKO thrown in for good measure, (Heavily weathered and rusty).

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photo's of the GEML. In C4603 it is good to see a Toffee Apple class 31 at work, and I wonder about the class 306 in the last photo. Did the front ends ever get cleaned properly? It looks so down at heel.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hi, Dave. A great set of photo's of the GEML. In C4603 it is good to see a Toffee Apple class 31 at work, and I wonder about the class 306 in the last photo. Did the front ends ever get cleaned properly? It looks so down at heel.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The carriage washing plants never got fully round the ends of units, hence the mucky stripe in the middle of the cab end. Looks like the yellow end got a special wash with a bucket and broom. The bit above the cab windows is out of reach from the ground...

A similar situation occurred on the SR where the gangway doors never got cleaned and the area above the gangway, painted yellow at overhaul, quickly turned black.

C4597

A 12-car train, 2x 2-car on the front, followed by 2x 4-car, presumably a Griddle-Car unit and an ordinary set.

Strange to see 603 still as a two-car unit in 1979 as it was reported as having converted Mk.1 CK and TSO inserted to make it 4-car in 1978...

Edited by talisman56

• RMweb Premium

Hi David

C4597, the 309s are an unusual formation. The first two units are 2 car sets, I can see another two pantographs but cannot make out if it is another 2 car and a four car or  two four car units in the rear. Running a train like this with 4 power cars would have drawn quite a lot of electricity so control would have had to advise the power controllers and make sure there wasn't another 309 train in the same electrical section. 

In 1979 Shenfield could not take 12 car trains, only 10 car. There where some other stations, maybe Witham was one, where the 309s regularly stopped that could only take a 10 car train up to the early 80s. I think it is a 3 x 2 car +4 car train. 

• RMweb Premium

I think the loco is 31019 in 'Church Lane Crossing Class 31 down freight July 79 C4603'

31005, the other white roof loco had its OHLE warning mounted slightly higher.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi David

C4597, the 309s are an unusual formation. The first two units are 2 car sets, I can see another two pantographs but cannot make out if it is another 2 car and a four car or  two four car units in the rear. Running a train like this with 4 power cars would have drawn quite a lot of electricity so control would have had to advise the power controllers and make sure there wasn't another 309 train in the same electrical section. 

In 1979 Shenfield could not take 12 car trains, only 10 car. There where some other stations, maybe Witham was one, where the 309s regularly stopped that could only take a 10 car train up to the early 80s. I think it is a 3 x 2 car +4 car train. 

Clive,

I've had a look at the original scan and would agree that it is three x 2cars plus a 4 car at the rear - mainly from the distance apart of the pantographs.

David

• RMweb Gold

C4597

A 12-car train, 2x 2-car on the front, followed by 2x 4-car, presumably a Griddle-Car unit and an ordinary set.

Strange to see 603 still as a two-car unit in 1979 as it was reported as having converted Mk.1 CK and TSO inserted to make it 4-car in 1978...

I've just checked the date in my catalogue, it really was 1979.

David

• RMweb Premium

Clive,

I've had a look at the original scan and would agree that it is three x 2cars plus a 4 car at the rear - mainly from the distance apart of the pantographs.

David

Hi David

If that is the case, there is not many first class seats :O :o

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photos from Grangetown to Saltburn. The first one shows a hybrid DMU, and the centre car would appear to be a class 117 TCL downgraded to TSL.

Lackenby BSC is as impressive as ever, and would be a great model if someone has enough room.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

David, are you sure that last one is a parcels service? After the BG the rest look like passenger vehicles, although the fourth one looks to have high windows, is that a Mk2?

I wonder what the top speed of the syphons was?

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

David, are you sure that last one is a parcels service? After the BG the rest look like passenger vehicles, although the fourth one looks to have high windows, is that a Mk2?

I wonder what the top speed of the syphons was?

Andy G

I saw it before it left Leicester, the coaches were empty and the syphons were being loaded, people on the platform were told not to board.  So it could be ecs being used to convey some parcels vans.  At Leicester it had a Class 45 .

David

I saw it before it left Leicester, the coaches were empty and the syphons were being loaded, people on the platform were told not to board.  So it could be ecs being used to convey some parcels vans.  At Leicester it had a Class 45 .

David

It could have been one of the timetabled stock movements too or from BREL Litchurch Lane, Derby; there was one of those that passed Alsager on a Derby- Crewe (and possibly beyond) working about three times a week in the late 1970s/early 1980s. If the stock wasn't all compatible in terms of braking systems, then it would run with a BR 20t brake on the end.

I can't recollect ever having seen a mention of a maximum speed for Siphons, but I imagine it would be in the region of 70-75 mph.

If it is a parcels service I wonder if it's the return empty newspaper vans from the previous night?

I remember using that service to get home from a free Hyde Park gig around 1969-70, either Canned Heat or Eric Burdon and War I recall.

The 'papers' used to be one of the crack services on the GC before closure despite running in the middle of the night. When the GC closed it was routed from Euston to Northampton then onwards to Leicester.

I recall it made good time to Northampton then trundled across to Leicester although I think the line speed was fairly low on that stretch, quite a bit of dwell time to unload the mornings news as well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's of trains on Southend Pier. Then a good set of photos of the WCML.

And in the last photo, the sleeping car has no markings on the doors so must be a second class car. Of the two Siphon G's, one is freshly repainted and the other filthy - it would be good to see that replicated on a model. I can also see that 86235 has an aluminium arrow rather than a transfer.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Guest B Exam

A fairly rare picture of a Cl86 with "Domino" headcodes. Most went straight from roller blinds to plated over panels.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great selection of photos from Radcliffe on Trent this afternoon. I like the class 25 in the first one, and it is good to see the class 114 DMU's at work.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1