Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

No need to apologise for the quality of pics IMHO, worthwhile at any resolution.

Mike.

PS. Seem to have been a little light on hydraulics lately!!

I have a distinct lack of photos of hydraulics.  

At the moment I am working on the last of the 1960s and early 70s photos and am hoping to find enough diesel hydraulic photos to make up one or two more days postings.  Neither Dad nor I visited the GWR area very often though.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love those photos of Harrogate and the last regular steam hauled service train to Kings Cross as far as Leeds. The second photo is very seasonal with all that steam and snow.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Now, as J189 has the necessary 'bus on the bridge' and we seem to have 'got good' at identifying Deltics, what about the bus?

I reckon United Automobile Services Bristol L5; anyone?

But then again it could be Yorkshire Woollen.....

• RMweb Gold

Now, as J189 has the necessary 'bus on the bridge' and we seem to have 'got good' at identifying Deltics, what about the bus?

I reckon United Automobile Services Bristol L5; anyone?

I'd go with UniteD. A bit far north for Yorkshire Woollen, surely?

As far as I remember the Harrogate buses were United.

Though I usually walked or got lifts from friends or Mum and Dad.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I have enjoyed seeing the photo's of Market Overton. Such a shame it did not work out there. the photo's of Benton Quarry Junction bring back some good memories. As can be seen in the last photo' there were still 55's on some of the passenger services. And in C5535, the Mk1 SK, is one of the later examples with the vents lined up over the compartment side of the coach, whilst the windows have the surrounds to them.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Photos this afternoon taken on visits to Market Overton between 1972 and 1975.  

A quick reminder that Market Overton was at the end of an ex British Steel line, accessed at that time from the High Dyke branch and past Sewstern.

At this time John Gretton and Bill McAlpine kept locos and stock there.

When these photos were taken part of Dad's job was to manage the ex British Steel lines in the Sewstern area, along with the works there, so he and I often visited Market Overton.

attachicon.gifMarket Overton Baguley Bass Charington No 5 and GER slaoon 1 July 72 J2991.jpg

Market Overton  Bagguley   Bass Charington No 5 and GER saloon 1 July 72 J2991

attachicon.gifMarket Overton Avonside and Peckett Oct 73 C1420.jpg

Market Overton Avonside and Peckett Oct 73 C1420

attachicon.gifMarket Overton A3 4472 Flying Scotsman Oct 73 C1440.jpg

Market Overton A3 4472 Flying Scotsman Oct 73 C1440

attachicon.gifMarket Overton Barclay Harlaxton Dec 73 C1446.jpg

Market Overton  Barclay Harlaxton Dec 73 C1446

attachicon.gifMarket Overton Barclay 0-4-0CT Glenfield Sept 75 J4893.jpg

Market Overton  Barclay 0-4-0CT Glenfield Sept 75 J4893

David

Flying Scotsman looked so much nicer without the double chimney and weird blinkers.

Edward

• RMweb Gold

Hi David,

slight correction to C1420, the loco on the left is Bagnall 2680/1942 'Birchenwood No.4'

Thanks very much for pointing that out.  I should have been able to get it right, because I travelled to Birchenwood to see the locos when they were inspected before they were bought.

David

• RMweb Gold

A 9F with Western lamp brackets, interesting as it doesn't appear to have dual brackets.

I've had a look at my black and white photo of the same loco and train,  the cabside is much too dirty to read the number.  I don't think the numbers on the smokebox door are the loco number.

It would have been interesting to know which loco it was.

David