Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the GCR photo's. Seeing those of Habrough brings good memories back from cycle touring in the area during the '90's. I particularly like seeing the first photo; at Scunthorpe of class a class 40. A good reminder of how things were.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

South of Rugby on the WCML today with photos from Hillmorton, also Kilsby and Crick.

As regular followers of the thread will know this was, at the time the photos were taken, for both Dad and myself our usual area to visit to see the WCML.

As usual the train destinations were taken from such information as was available at the time - i.e. by working out what we though we had seen from public timetables.

attachicon.gifa Hillmorton Class 85 E3073 _J814.jpg.

Hillmorton Class 85 E3073 J814

attachicon.gifa Hillmorton Class 86 E3121 12.27 Manchester - Birmingham - Euston March 67 J831.jpg

Hillmorton Class 86 E3121 12.27 Manchester - Birmingham - Euston March 67 J831

attachicon.gifb Kilsby and Crick Class 310 Euston to Birmingham Sept 68 J1456.jpg

Kilsby and Crick Class 310 Euston to Birmingham Sept 68 J1456

attachicon.gifa Hillmorton Class 86 Euston to Glasgow The Royal Scot May 70 J2109.jpg

Hillmorton Class 86 Euston to Glasgow The Royal Scot May 70 J2109

attachicon.gifa Hillmorton Class 86 Manchester to Euston May 70 J2110.jpg

Hillmorton Class 86 Manchester to Euston May 70 J2110

David

Lovely photos as always David. I've always liked the early AC electrics in their electric blue liveries as they did look rather smart.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Dave

I doubt J2109 is the 'Royal Scot' as the headcode for that working is 1S57 its possibly the next booked service or a relief. Love that electric blue in the earlier shots, why can't these modern designers come up with the goods nowadays!?

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. An excellent set of photo's of the WCML. In J2109, which is a train - not The Royal Scot -  hauled by an unidentified 86 at Hillmorton, I see the two BG's are riding on BR1 bogies. I remember reading an account in Modern Railways, from a few years later, of just how rough riding those Mk1 vehicles on the WCML could be at 100 mph. I wonder why the bogies were not changed to either Commonwealth or B4 bogies upon elecrtrification of that main line?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Wow, what have they done to Cleethorpes (C25003)? Is there more than that one platform face still with track?

From memory I think there are three platforms in use.

Google Earth shows a track alongside a fourth platform face but I don't know if it is used for passengers.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Fascinating photos of the Grassington branch in the last years of BR steam. Everything, including the wagons, is filthy, and covered in lots of rust! I always wonder how the trains kept running in those abysmal conditions.

But please keep these stark reminders of those last years of BR steam coming. They are so valuable to all those who never experienced them.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening David is the 11 not actually an ex southern class 12?

I agree with Russ, Guy and Mike

The box pox wheels, the buffers low on the buffer beam, SR six lights and lamp irons and windscreen wiper are all features of a SR 350 hp (class 12). The buffers are lower on the buffer beam owing to the loco being slightly higher than a class 11 due to the larger wheel diameter. The lights and windscreen wiper were later fittings, not carried when new. 

• RMweb Gold

Evening David is the 11 not actually an ex southern class 12?

15231.......the class 11 was 12083

Regards

Guy

15231 IIRC.

Mike.

Snap!!

Mike.

I agree with Russ, Guy and Mike

The box pox wheels, the buffers low on the buffer beam, SR six lights and lamp irons and windscreen wiper are all features of a SR 350 hp (class 12). The buffers are lower on the buffer beam owing to the loco being slightly higher than a class 11 due to the larger wheel diameter. The lights and windscreen wiper were later fittings, not carried when new. 

Many thanks for letting me know I'd managed to get a loco class wrong, yet again.  

I can't think of a good excuse this time, but it wasn't a typing error, I had it wrong in my slide catalogue as well.

Now, as for the colour of 75021:

How can they tell? :scratchhead:

I've got other photos of the loco, taken on the same day which shows it really was green.  There are some earlier in this thread.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hey David,do not worry about getting a class of loco wrong.

It's an awful long time ago and a class of loco which looks very much like another.

Your picture thread is absolutely fantastic and i really do look forward to it every day, there have been pictures on there about railways I'd only ever heard brief details about such as the electrified lines in dorman Long's on Teesside.

Have you any early preservation pictures of the North Norfolk railway as we have had one picture of a female volunteer

Keep up the good work David

• RMweb Gold

Hey David,do not worry about getting a class of loco wrong.

It's an awful long time ago and a class of loco which looks very much like another.

Your picture thread is absolutely fantastic and i really do look forward to it every day, there have been pictures on there about railways I'd only ever heard brief details about such as the electrified lines in dorman Long's on Teesside.

Have you any early preservation pictures of the North Norfolk railway as we have had one picture of a female volunteer

Keep up the good work David

Many thanks for the comment.

I do have photos of the North Norfolk taken in October 1977, on my only visit to the railway.  Several of them show a young lady cleaning the J15.  At that time the loco was in GER grey

They will appear here in due course, when I get them corrected and captioned.

David

Pilmoor Class 40 D277 up freight March 67 J782  What a lovely freight! Insulated van at the front and three Lowmacs apparently loaded with some military vehicles. And lots of other variety.

I don't think they are military vehicles, they appear to have two windows in the side, and note the yellow panels on the rear. They are BR leyland FG crew buses.

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for the comment.

I do have photos of the North Norfolk taken in October 1977, on my only visit to the railway.  Several of them show a young lady cleaning the J15.  At that time the loco was in GER grey

They will appear here in due course, when I get them corrected and captioned.

David

Don't correct them David, it will do us out of a job!

Mike.