Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Should all be "R" stock, being in silver/unpainted livery. "CO" and "CP" stock were never painted silver. Eventually all "R" stock were painted silver to differenciate them from "CO" and "CP" stock on the District Line as they were incompatible for coupling together.

Terry

Edited by Dublodad

Should all be "R" stock, being in silver/unpainted livery. "CO" and "CP" stock were never painted silver. Eventually all "R" stock were painted silver to differenciate them from "CO" and "CP" stock on the District Line as they were incompatible for coupling together.

Terry

IIRC the paint was actually grey rather than silver though some cars were unpainted aluminium when the switch was made from steel construction. Initial batches were red. Edited by leopardml2341

C1640 I would also agree is 55 018. However, that loco was recorded as working 1E13 11:40 Edinburgh - King's Cross on 30th June 1974, which might have given it a tightish turnaround for 1L34 (I don't have a WTT for that, to check, but I suspect that it's feasible).

There is something not quite right here. 1E13 11:40 Ed-KX was a Sunday train. When I google 30th June 1974 it comes up as a Sunday. 1L34 didn't run on a Sunday although the set worked 1L37 18:45SuO KX-Bradford, but the CWN has it without the BG on the front so I don't think it's this train with the wrong head code.

Edited by mark54

• RMweb Gold

There is something not quite right here. 1E13 11:40 Ed-KX was a Sunday train. When I google 30th June 1974 it comes up as a Sunday. 1L34 didn't run on a Sunday although the set worked 1L37 18:45SuO KX-Bradford, but the CWN has it without the BG on the front so I don't think it's this train with the wrong head code.

I remember back in the early 70's that STN's used to have notes in them that a certain working that was weekdays only would run on a sunday as well for one or more weeks, could this be an instance of this happening? This tended to happen if there was a special event on in London such as the motor show or Chelsea flower show.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Another great set of Tanfield Railway photos today. Such a good variety of locos and stock there, and I wonder if more additions to the stock will be made in the future?

The London Underground photos are fascinating, and bring back plenty of memories of juorneys on it, including the R Stock trains. I admit I don't know too much about the Underground system, but those photos certainly help R Stock indentification.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

First of all I have to say this: Searchlights.....Wibble ;-}

And now I have that out of my system look at C3807 and the searchlight (wibble again!) on the right. It has a 'normal' 3 aspect head floor mounted underneath it. Its quite odd, and I wonder what its there for?

Thanks David

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

If the stock of 1E13 worked 1L37, I can't see Kings Cross shunt releasing the loco so it worked back north on the same set. They would have had to be desperately short of motive power to do that - wouldn't the loco need refueling anyway. This would suggest to me that 1L34 is correct and its not Sunday 30 June 74. Can't see it being Saturday 29th either though, or how would 55018 have got to Edinburgh to work 1E13?

• RMweb Gold

I remember back in the early 70's that STN's used to have notes in them that a certain working that was weekdays only would run on a sunday as well for one or more weeks, could this be an instance of this happening? This tended to happen if there was a special event on in London such as the motor show or Chelsea flower show.

Mike.

If the stock of 1E13 worked 1L37, I can't see Kings Cross shunt releasing the loco so it worked back north on the same set. They would have had to be desperately short of motive power to do that - wouldn't the loco need refueling anyway. This would suggest to me that 1L34 is correct and its not Sunday 30 June 74. Can't see it being Saturday 29th either though, or how would 55018 have got to Edinburgh to work 1E13?

I've been wondering about this working too and especially about the date.

At first I thought it couldn't be Sunday June 30th, but it can't have been taken earlier than that because earlier on the 30th I was "playing trains" between Sewstern and Market Overton  and was taking photos from the cab of the preserved Class 03 D2381.

This photo was the next on the film.

It is unlikely to have been taken on Monday 1st as I would have been at work just outside Lincoln all day and almost certainly would not have gone out in the evening to take a photo of just one train.

On the next day, the 2nd, it rained and I took a photo on the way to Lincoln from Buckminster of D2381 and another of Bill McAlpine's diesel shunters in heavy rain on the High Dyke branch.

So it is either Sunday 30th or for some reason I went out and took one photo on 1st July.  Does anyone know what the weather was like on 1st July 1974?

I'm not sure if this helps!

David

I've been wondering about this working too and especially about the date.

At first I thought it couldn't be Sunday June 30th, but it can't have been taken earlier than that because earlier on the 30th I was "playing trains" between Sewstern and Market Overton  and was taking photos from the cab of the preserved Class 03 D2381.

This photo was the next on the film.

It is unlikely to have been taken on Monday 1st as I would have been at work just outside Lincoln all day and almost certainly would not have gone out in the evening to take a photo of just one train.

On the next day, the 2nd, it rained and I took a photo on the way to Lincoln from Buckminster of D2381 and another of Bill McAlpine's diesel shunters in heavy rain on the High Dyke branch.

So it is either Sunday 30th or for some reason I went out and took one photo on 1st July.  Does anyone know what the weather was like on 1st July 1974?

I'm not sure if this helps!

David

What you haven't queried is the source of the assertion that you are wrong and some other record must be correct, without that source being provided.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

What you haven't queried is the source of the assertion that you are wrong and some other record must be correct, without that source being provided.

Paul

The other source is the Chronicles of Napier website and the working timetables and loco & stock diagrams. Of course that website could be wrong about 55018 working 1E13 on 30 June1974, but the working timetable doesn't lie and in that there is no 1E34 on a Sunday, its a different train 1E37.

Anyway we've not said Dave is wrong, just that something doesn't add up and see if we can work out what the correct situation is.

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like those last photo's of the Tanfield Railway, you clearly had a great day there last Saturday.

The Derbyshire photo's are a fascinating mixture. I really like the first one of the Longcliffe Hopton incline. It looks so neglected in the midst of the countryside. I'm sure it would make a wonderful model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The other source is the Chronicles of Napier website and the working timetables and loco & stock diagrams. Of course that website could be wrong about 55018 working 1E13 on 30 June1974, but the working timetable doesn't lie and in that there is no 1E34 on a Sunday, its a different train 1E37.

Anyway we've not said Dave is wrong, just that something doesn't add up and see if we can work out what the correct situation is.

Yes, my apologies all - I did actually spot the 1L34/1L37 discrepancy when I was researching/checking things. However, when typing it up (in the small hours) it slipped my mind to include the query. Unfortunately I can't offer anything from my notes for the period, as I have a large gap during that time as I was "in works" myself from April to July, due to a serious illness.

Whichever way you look at it, it's a conundrum. It wasn't unknown for trains to run with wrong headcodes - I can remember several occasions when a Saturday train ran through carrying a M-F headcode, Sundays I was around far less frequently. It could just be a coincidence that both the wrong code was wound up and a BG was added to the set to get it up to Yorkshire (perhaps to return a previously defective vehicle or to get one up there to replace another defective one?). Again, it wasn't that unusual to see the odd, unexpected vehicle in a formation. Complete speculation - but I think that we're reduced to guesswork on this one!

First of all I have to say this: Searchlights.....Wibble ;-}

And now I have that out of my system look at C3807 and the searchlight (wibble again!) on the right. It has a 'normal' 3 aspect head floor mounted underneath it. Its quite odd, and I wonder what its there for?

Thanks David

Andy G

I'm guessing it's a co-acting signal for the searchlight provided to aid sighting.  There were, and indeed still are, a few around the network.

Sorry this is a bit late, I wanted to clarify the colours of the LT R stock trains.

Almost all of them were made up with different types of car, (R38, R47, R49, R59). The earlier cars, R38 and R47, were steel bodied and therefore painted. The R49 cars were aluminum bodied and most of them were also painted but a number, including one complete R49 train, were left unpainted. The aluminium R59 cars were all unpainted.

At first, the steel and painted aluminium cars were red, except for one R38 painted silver to match an unpainted R49 car. The R38 cars converted to run with R59 cars were also painted silver to match. All unpainted and silver painted cars had a red waistband (first plain, then with a "V" at the front ends).

So three colours for one stock, often within one train. During the 1960s the red painted R stock cars were repainted silver without the red waistband, and it was removed from unpainted cars. The similar all steel CO/CP trains were red and the R stock silver/aluminium, lovely. But by the late 60s changes to chemicals in the trainwashes were causing the silver paint to flake off and the colour was changed to a very pale grey, which looked like off-white. Unpainted cars were left unpainted.

For years, publications referred to the R stock as being painted silver, long after the event. As someone who used or saw these trains daily in the late 70s it grated, as they were obviously white, as anyone who looked could see. Hence this long TMI posting  :)

Great photos Dave. Please keep them coming.

Edited by lazythread
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much for all the recent comments.

Dates in particular are always hard to pin down, especially after over forty years.  So here is how I usually know them.

For many years  I catalogued my slides as soon as possible after they came back from the processors.   Most of the time I was happy just to write the month and year in my catalogue, unless it was a special event in which case I recorded the date.  Very often when I was taking photos I made a note of what I had seen in a small notebook kept in the camera bag to help me catalogue slides later.

As the years went by I kept more  records each time I went out and then recorded the date, loco details and, location in more detail, which meant cataloguing became much easier when the slides had been processed.

The most common error was to misread the loco number when taking the photo - it was hard to do both at once.  Now and then I wrote down the wrong location, especially if I visited several places in one day, but usually corrected that in the catalogue.

The date is probably the most reliable bit of information.

Dad did much the same so his slide catalogues are much like mine to read and use.

As we sometimes went out together the catalogues can be a useful cross reference If I suspect something is wrong.

Like most people I worked Monday to Friday so Saturday was generally my photography day, except in my holidays.  I didn't often take photos on Sundays.

David

• Like 2