Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Ulgham Lane photos. In the first one, I see the engine room door is open on the class 40 running L.E. In the second one, C5235, I can see, on enlarging the photo, that the door drop lights are open in that leading Mk111 TF. I wonder if the air conditioning was working properly.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

C6992. Please tell me that the metro in the pic isn`t your?

Great pictures David

Love the Austin rover theme. Was your metro an opaline green 1.0 L?

I had a 1.3HLE in the same colour

It was Mum's Metro - dad rarely drove at that time because he had a heart condition then.

I would have been driving it that day as I often took them out on Saturdays, sometimes in their car.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Yorkshire miscellany photos. In the first one, the top marker light on the Cravens DMBS is lit up. It shows how faint they were in daylight.

The Trans Pennine unit in C5956 is possibly a mixed unit if the TSL is class 123, but even enlarging the photo it is so difficult to distinguish the exact class of that car. The other trailer is a one time MBSL which by the time of the photo had been converted to a trailer car as a TBKSL.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Is that a very low platform at Headingly? (J5310)

I think thats the old Headingly station which was possibly closed at the time? The present one is a wpte wooden special with bus shelters

I wasn't there that day and haven't been to Headingley station since the mid 60s  but I think that the low part of the platform was in front of the building, the part of the platform platform in use was behind where Dad took the photo.

The platform on the other track is clearly in use.

David

C5235 shows the short-lived first incarnation of 9-car HSTs on the ECML. At the time (1980) the WR was having problems with its West of England batch of HSTs which had been fitted with GEC traction motors that didn't work (other batches had Brush motors). So, some of the trailers were used to strengthen East Coast sets to cope with the traffic. 

Dave despite these being poor quality I decided to scan my images of Lady Angela at Kingston/Kegworth. They would have been taken around 1965 with a Brownie camera. I couldn't afford to take many photos.

Thanks for posting your photographs - they fascinate me

Richard

Can't beat a bit of "Lady Angela's Railway". Great stuff!

It was Mum's Metro - dad rarely drove at that time because he had a heart condition then.

I would have been driving it that day as I often took them out on Saturdays, sometimes in their car.

David

It didnt look like it made it after Dec 1993 (last tax date)

• RMweb Gold

It didnt look like it made it after Dec 1993 (last tax date)

It was sold when it started to rust - like almost all Metros they rusted very quickly, especially the front wings.  I think they kept it for about two years from new.

David

• RMweb Premium

C8097

Here is another view taken 13th July 2005 from the road:

post-6208-0-59829800-1510335223_thumb.jpg

Complete with "Tea train" now a camping coach and painted green & white.

Cheers

Keith

EDIT

BTW that is Kilchurn Castle

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 12

C8097

Here is another view taken 13th July 2005 from the road:

attachicon.gifloch awe.jpg

Complete with "Tea train" now a camping coach and painted green & white.

Cheers

Keith

EDIT

BTW that is Kilchurn Castle

Kilchurn Castle from the other side of Loch Awe. Photo taken from the A819, off the RH edge of melmerby's photo.

post-7146-0-44087400-1510338389_thumb.jpg

Despite what it looks like on the photo, you cannot get to the castle from this side, as Loch Awe gets in the way.

Paul J.

PS. Photo taken in summer 2010.

Edited by Swindon 123
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Kilchurn Castle from the other side of Loch Awe. Photo taken from the A819, off the RH edge of melmerby's photo.

attachicon.gif2010_0627Hebrides-2010--0006.JPG

Despite what it looks like on the photo, you cannot get to the castle from this side, as Loch Awe gets in the way.

Paul J.

PS. Photo taken in summer 2010.

I've got one exactly like that taken about 30mins after the other one from this lay-by:

(Also one looking back at that coach!)

https://goo.gl/maps/uqXxCZLSTQz

post-6208-0-75550000-1510352481_thumb.jpg

Keith

Sorry about the off topic pictures Dave!

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 4