Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

I think the garage was a prefabricated one, the 'rays of the sun ' pattern being the company's trademark. For some reason, the name 'Atcost', or something similar, comes to mind. The Wolseley/ Riley would make a nice cameo, though I never remember one as colourful as that. 

I learned to drive on my father's Wolseley 1500, grey with maroon side panels and capable of 90mph, which I got it up to coming off the Brecon Beacons on the A470 on one occasion, under his supervision!  It was a great car to learn on, easy and forgiving of handling and with enough torque to let you get away with bungled gear changes.  I don't remember this or the Riley version in that colour, though.

I do like a green EE Type 4 with discs. The dog was evidently not a trainspotter, nevertheless almost certainly a wagger!

1092 EL is a Bournemouth registration and four numbers followed by two letters is a rare combination, apparently.

My Dad had at least two cars with a four number/two letter registration.

A ford Anglia, 7521UE and a Vauxhall VX4/90, 4987KV. Both are Warwickshire registrations.

Merry Crimble! 

Graham

attachicon.gifSewstern spare boiler for Flying Scotsman Sept 73 J3377.jpg

Sewstern spare boiler for Flying Scotsman Sept 73 J3377

The wagon is a curiosity; it is a Flatrol WLL/ELL, built to carry the 'Super-Sherman' M6 during WW2. This beast, which was only built in prototype form, was about twice the size and weight of the M4, hence the three-axle bogies on these wagons.

BR acquired a number of these wagons, alongside the better known Warwells and Warflats, post WW2. They were used for a number of traffics, one being as spacer wagons under very long loads. Others were fitted with a large 'equalising beam' to work with the 'Specials' used for exceptionally heavy loads. A third use was for carrying 65t ingot moulds from RT&B's (later BSC) foundry at Landore to Ravenscraig; I had a summer job there in 1974, so had a chance to see them in the flesh.

Brian

Edited by Fat Controller

• RMweb Gold

Dave, what a fabulous christmas present, thanks, hydraulics next year please!

J5463, is, to be pedantic, the bottom end of Nunnery carriage sidings adjacent to Nunnery Junction, Woodburn Junction being a bit further East at the City Goods/Nunnery Colliery sidings divergence.

Mike.

Merry Christmas David. Today's photo's are fantastic. I'm accumulating parts for a Woodhead themed layout in due course.(4 EM1's and an EM2 so far)..

Now watching you like a hawk!

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Woodhead photos. It’s always good to see the EM1 locos. The first photo’ shows 26021 LE which makes a great sight. I like the two 20’s in J5337, with 20003 leading - a pilot scheme 20.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

For the Chaloners Whin Junction photos:

1A28 was the 12:00 KX-Edinburgh (with front 2 coaches forming an Aberdeen portion)

1A20 was the 11:00 KX-Newcastle. It appears to be the Saturday train from the formation (M-F had a BG 4th vehicle). On certain days the front 3 coaches and BG formed a Tyne Commission Quay portion.

• RMweb Gold

For the Chaloners Whin Junction photos:

1A28 was the 12:00 KX-Edinburgh (with front 2 coaches forming an Aberdeen portion)

1A20 was the 11:00 KX-Newcastle. It appears to be the Saturday train from the formation (M-F had a BG 4th vehicle). On certain days the front 3 coaches and BG formed a Tyne Commission Quay portion.

Mark,

Thanks again.

Those workings make sense, both from the light direction in the photos  and also I remember that we usually went out to photograph trains on Saturday afternoons on the ECML.

David

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the Christmas cheer David, and long may this thread continue. j5337 20003 leading, the following month on 8th July she was paired with 20049 and passed through Bristol Parkway, a hens teeth moment in the 70s. I can’t make the second loco out but it may well be 20049.

Neil

Mark,

Thanks again.

Those workings make sense, both from the light direction in the photos  and also I remember that we usually went out to photograph trains on Saturday afternoons on the ECML.

David

Also in that group, 7E16 was the 13:15 Tees Yard to Whitemoor, due through York at 3pm approx. 

The service behind D258 is purely guesswork, but there were not too many running south on a Saturday afternoon. However, it has through freight discs so might be a late running 7E23, the 10:10 Tees Yard to Whitemoor which was due through York at about midday. 

I used to see these much further south on the GN&GE heading towards Spalding, although after about 1pm on a Saturday there was so little activity I didn't really bother; but long distance trains could be hours late at times. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. That’s a fantastic set of photos of the Epping to Ongar line. The first two of Blake Hall make a glorious sight in the winter sun of February 1979. And it’s always great to see the underground trains at work on the line. More please.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I learned to drive on my father's Wolseley 1500, grey with maroon side panels and capable of 90mph, which I got it up to coming off the Brecon Beacons on the A470 on one occasion, under his supervision!  It was a great car to learn on, easy and forgiving of handling and with enough torque to let you get away with bungled gear changes.  I don't remember this or the Riley version in that colour, though.

Both a little late and a little off-topic, but the perennial car in the garage is a Riley One-Point-Five, I believe (from the position of the boot badge & the shape of the numberplate light cowl) - a Mark I, I suspect, from the rear lights. They were definitely available in a couple of shades of light blue - I have a full set of leather interior in said shade languishing in my shed, 'just in case'... :)

It might well be this colour, shown in the 1957 brochure (possibly Florentine Blue, although that's just off the top of my head!)

post-6843-0-03232700-1514385865.jpg

Cheers to Dave for a wonderful thread, and a (belated) Merry Xmas & Happy New Year to one & all! :drinks:

• Like 6

Both a little late and a little off-topic, but the perennial car in the garage is a Riley One-Point-Five, I believe (from the position of the boot badge & the shape of the numberplate light cowl) - a Mark I, I suspect, from the rear lights. They were definitely available in a couple of shades of light blue - I have a full set of leather interior in said shade languishing in my shed, 'just in case'... :)

It might well be this colour, shown in the 1957 brochure (possibly Florentine Blue, although that's just off the top of my head!)

attachicon.gif1957 Riley One Point Five Brochure 03.jpg

Cheers to Dave for a wonderful thread, and a (belated) Merry Xmas & Happy New Year to one & all! :drinks:

Did the Riley have twin-carbs, as opposed to the single one on the Wolseley? We had a Wolseley for a couple of years in the early 1980s; mechanically good, but the corrosion of the floor pan meant that the body flexed.You could only open one rear door, and which one depended on the camber of the road. It did take us all the way from Newcastle to Beaujolais and back.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I’m glad you have had your power restored. It will be a relief at this of year to get it back on. The L.T.& S.R. photos are as fascinating as ever. The class 302 EMU’s will have accrued some high mileage over the years they were in use for.

The PWay workers are clearly hard at work in C3801, at Dunton. I see there’s some thin cabling visible.

With warmest regards,

Rob.