Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Firstly I want to congratulate you on keeping this thread going for four years. It’s quite an achievement. And I know you have plenty of photo’s yet to post over the coming years, all being well.

Now, the Scottish photo’s are fantastic, and convey the West Highland scenery so well. In C6879, Fort William and the station look good, and I like the way the mountains are so impressive in the background.

North Blyth has plenty of interest to see, and the concrete water tank in BSC_5190 is so stark in its glory.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Thank you DaveF for this thread, long may it continue....It's the first place I look every visit, which is just about every day.

I'm afraid I don't comment often as I don't remember much about the UK railway scene being only 13 when when we left for Canada.

Thanks again.

Mark.

• RMweb Premium

Once again, some very nice photos Dave. 4 years (and counting) is a long time to keep producing such good, interesting and historical records. Not least C7549. Given their short life I imagine there aren't too many photos around of class 151s (awaits the onslaught of web address etc. pointing to hundreds of photos just to prove me wrong!).

Regards, Ian.

This thread is 4 years old today, the first post was on 1st May 2014.

Today we start with a few more West Highland photos, mainly infrastrcture - I am coming towards the end of the ones I have of this route, unless I find some more as I work through the rest of the slide scans.

There are also a couple of photos I took this morning of an Alcan train at North Blyth in Northumberland.

attachicon.gifArdlui 37259 and 37121 WBHS Newcastle to Fort William 11th May 85 C6841.jpg

Ardlui 37259 and 37121 WBHS Newcastle to Fort William 11th May 85 C6841

attachicon.gifBridge of Orchy 37259 and 37121 WBHS Newcastle to Fort William 11th May 85 C6855.jpg

Bridge of Orchy 37259 and 37121 WBHS Newcastle to Fort William 11th May 85 C6855

attachicon.gife Gorton looking south 11th May 85 C6887.jpg

Gorton looking south 11th May 85 C6887  Gorton was a passing loop between Bridge of Orchy and Rannoch, it never had a station for public use.  It used to have a signal box plus a house for the signal man and his family.

attachicon.gifFort William Class 37s and tender of LMS Class 5 11th May 85 C6871.jpg

Fort William Class 37s and tender of LMS Class 5 11th May 85 C6871

attachicon.gift Fort William view to station 11th May 85 C6879.jpg

Fort William view to station 11th May 85 C6879

attachicon.gifBSC_5190 North Blyth Class 66 66733 1st May 18.jpg

BSC_5190 North Blyth Class 66 66733 1st May 18

attachicon.gifBSC_5191 North Blyth Class 66 66733 1st May 18.jpg

BSC_5191 North Blyth Class 66 66733 1st May 18

David

Great pics Dave. I was over at North Blyth this afternoon and 66733 was still there!

post-7898-0-97746400-1525275413_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Midland Erewash Valley line photo’s. In particular C7614, at Trent with 47103 on a down parcels train on 31st May, 1986. It makes a fine sight.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

This thread is 4 years old today, the first post was on 1st May 2014.

Today we start with a few more West Highland photos, mainly infrastrcture - I am coming towards the end of the ones I have of this route, unless I find some more as I work through the rest of the slide scans.

attachicon.gift Fort William view to station 11th May 85 C6879.jpg

Fort William view to station 11th May 85 C6879

David

Nice historical photo of Fort William Station, taken from the Old Fort, former site of the loco depot before the old station was demolished to make way for the by-pass.

I'm trying to make out what sort of event was going on in the foreground, in the area that is now Morrison's carpark.  Whilst there is a Citylink coach clearly visible in front of the station, I remember the area as the bus station, with stances and shelters arranged in a herring-bone pattern, but there is no sign of them in this image.  My first visit was in summer 1985, when I caught the sleeper up to Ft William, then a bus from the bustation directly outside on to University Geology fieldwork on remote Ardnamurchan.  I didn't know then it would become just part of my day to day life...

Is that a rake of green-and-cream "West Highlander" steam train coaches in the station siding?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice historical photo of Fort William Station, taken from the Old Fort, former site of the loco depot before the old station was demolished to make way for the by-pass.

I'm trying to make out what sort of event was going on in the foreground, in the area that is now Morrison's carpark.  Whilst there is a Citylink coach clearly visible in front of the station, I remember the area as the bus station, with stances and shelters arranged in a herring-bone pattern, but there is no sign of them in this image.  My first visit was in summer 1985, when I caught the sleeper up to Ft William, then a bus from the bustation directly outside on to University Geology fieldwork on remote Ardnamurchan.  I didn't know then it would become just part of my day to day life...

Is that a rake of green-and-cream "West Highlander" steam train coaches in the station siding?

The coaches in the siding (i.e. the ones nearest the camera) are the West Highlander set.

The long train (it was either 11 or 12 coaches) in the background is our special train, a Whitley Bay Hortticultural Society excursion from Newcastle to Fort William and return.  It was double headed with 2 37s from Edinburgh to Fort William and back.

With the 2 locos attached to the train it was longer than the platform road, the leading loco was foul of the point to the adjacent platform (which that day had the sleepers and an ETHEL stabled in it).

I don't know what the event was, I didn't make a note of it and the scan isn't clear enough to make out the writing on the van.  It looks like some sort of food or market event.

Edit  The colourful van appears to be lettered "BULTACO" which until 1983 was a Spanish manufacturer of 2 stroke motor bikes.  So perhaps it was some sort of motorcycle event.

David 

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

I'm a little confused here.  Having checked the dates they accord with my memory that the old station at Fort William was closed and demolished long that photo was taken in 1985 - in fact the old station was closed in June 1975 and according to several 'net sources demolition commenced almost immediately after closure.  So it was gone long before the 1985 date of the photo.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. That's a great set of photos of the Grantham to Nottingham line at Bottesford. In C6110 at Bottesford, the two class 20's with 20172 and an unidentified one, on a Skegness to Leicester extra, in July, 1983, makes such a splendid sight for sore eyes. To think it's all DMU's these days.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hi Dave,

I keep seeing tantalizing views of the Nottingham area and currently the Nottingham-Grantham line but have never seen any photos of Netherfield station (once known as Netherfield & Colwick) nor of Carlton (once known as Carlton & Netherfield) on the Nottm-Lincoln line. Only reason I ask Dave is that I lived in Netherfield from 1972-1976 and Bourne St. backed on to the Grantham line. And no I took no photos either..........Ooooops!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

I keep seeing tantalizing views of the Nottingham area and currently the Nottingham-Grantham line but have never seen any photos of Netherfield station (once known as Netherfield & Colwick) nor of Carlton (once known as Carlton & Netherfield) on the Nottm-Lincoln line. Only reason I ask Dave is that I lived in Netherfield from 1972-1976 and Bourne St. backed on to the Grantham line. And no I took no photos either..........Ooooops!

There are two of Netherfield (GN) taken in June 1980 in my post of 11th May 2017.  Also a couple in my post of 25th November 2015, also taken in 1980 and in my post of 30th July 2015, and my post of 20th July 2014. You can find them by searching for Netherfield using the RMWeb search box, top right of each page.

As for Carlton on the Midland line I never went there - nor did Dad, and I've no idea why.

Edit  A bit of thought suggests why neither of us went there.

Until about 1957  and from 1960 to 1965 we lived on the north side of Nottingham and never needed to go to the south east side of the city.

Then after 1968 when Dad moved back to Nottinghamshire he lived south of the Trent so Carlton and Netherfield were not so easy to get to.

David

Edited by DaveF

C6110:  according to the Rail Gen Archive, 20 172 was paired with 20 178 on Saturday 2nd July - on the Leicester diagram. It then disappeared until Sunday 24th, when it reappeared, paired with 20 163. That pair then worked daily for the rest of the month, on both the Derby and the Leicester trains.

Hi Dave

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction re: Netherfield Stn.

post-5613-0-14266000-1448465923_thumb.jp

I lived with my aunt and uncle in the street where the yellow van is parked.

post-5613-0-89756100-1448465909_thumb.jp

My uncle Dave who was Nottingham born took me to the site of Colwick yard probably in the first couple of days of arriving to stay with them and BR had set a trap to deter the unwelcome and 'MY' car's back axle got trapped in a ditch at the entrance. He said during the war there were hardboard cut-outs of coal wagons on some conveyor system to trick the enemy to drop the bombs well away from the marshalling yard proper.

Thanks once again Dave.

• Like 15

Edit  The colourful van appears to be lettered "BULTACO" which until 1983 was a Spanish manufacturer of 2 stroke motor bikes.  So perhaps it was some sort of motorcycle event.

David 

Dave

That'll be the SSDT, the Scottish Six Day Trial, starts and finishes in Fort William. This year it's 7-12 May.

Brendan

Of course it is.  The date on the photo should have given it away...

I'm a little confused here.  Having checked the dates they accord with my memory that the old station at Fort William was closed and demolished long that photo was taken in 1985 - in fact the old station was closed in June 1975 and according to several 'net sources demolition commenced almost immediately after closure.  So it was gone long before the 1985 date of the photo.

You are quite right Mike.  This is the new Fort William station, the former loco depot in the Old Fort (where the photo was taken from) was demolished at the same time as the old station, in 1975, when the bypass was built along the shore.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photo's, which are a fantastic set. The Deltic's make a fine sight at the head of the expresses, and also, the three arch bridge/viaduct, in the last photo' at Little Ponton, in April, 1971, makes a lovely subject. It would also make a great modelling project.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

C711: how common was a Deltic running light engine (apart from depot to station)?

Bill

Not very often, but I did do it a couple of times to get a loco back to Kings Cross for a late evening working after being used on an early evening KX-Peterbourough or Grantham turn.

Paul J.