Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Now then Nidge - you young fellahs are all the same,  don't know the difference between a 'King' and a 'Castle' when they're staring you in the face :O .  The engine in that picture is 7029 (but you did get thh location right of course  :sungum: 

Duly noted and self chastised uncle SM, and me the fruit of former 81A loins, so to speak! I shall apportion blame upon the 'ay fever tablet wot I just took, see  ;)

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the latest Blyth and Tyne photo’s. All are superb, and capture that era perfectly. I too love seeing two 37’s in C5886. A great sight, and a shame they got replaced with the 56’s, good though, in their way, they were.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Brendan, the photo of you next to the King is Didcot, up relief platform by the looks of it. Looks very different now with the wires up!

Thanks Nidge and Mike, should have remembered it had stopped raining by then.

Brendan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Shepherds Bush and Rickmansworth photo’s. Full of detail, and interest. In J6393, at Rickmansworth, with a train of LT R stock in March, 1979, the platform canopies make a fine sight, and would make great models. I also like the last one with a train running through the trees.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

David, I believe that you have misread A as R

Terry

Terry,

Thanks for pointing that out.  R has now become A in the captions.

David

• RMweb Premium

Some photos taken at Lolham in the 1970s today.  Lolham is a few miles north of Peterborough on the ECML.

attachicon.gifLolham Class 55 9001 10.47 Newcastle to Kings X up Feb 72 J2824.jpg

Lolham Class 55 9001 10.47 Newcastle to Kings X up Feb 72 J2824

attachicon.gifLolham Class 25 5280 down parcels July 72 J2974.jpg

Lolham Class 25 5280 down parcels July 72 J2974

attachicon.gifLolham Class 47 47276 down Kings X to Hull Feb 76 J5058.jpg

Lolham Class 47 47276 down Kings X to Hull Feb 76 J5058

attachicon.gifLolham Class 47 up Feb 76 J5061.jpg

Lolham Class 47 up Feb 76 J5061

attachicon.gifLolham tamper up Feb 76 J5062.jpg

Lolham tamper up Feb 76 J5062

David

Another brilliant selection of photos today Dave. You even managed to get a shot of a MkI Stump Box in J5061!

Regards, Ian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML at Lolham photo’s. All so full of interest, and I particularly like J2974, with class 25, 5280, on a down parcels train in July, 1972. A truly superb view of a typical parcels train.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

1A22 was the 10:55 Newcastle - KX

4M22 was the 12:25 (or thereabouts) Peterborough Parcels Terminal - Crewe

J5058 from the formation was the 12:20 KX - Cleethorpes

1A21 was the 11:55 Bradford - KX (interestingly the loco is still showing a headcode after these were abandoned from the 1st Jan 76)

Edited by mark54

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

J5932 and J5933 are Hammersmith and City / Circle Line C69 stock.J6393 and J6398 are newly delivered C77 stock (unpainted roofs are the giveaway). J6394 is indeed A stock.

Love all your photos.

Regards.

1A22 was the 10:55 Newcastle - KX

4M22 was the 12:25 (or thereabouts) Peterborough Parcels Terminal - Crewe

J5058 from the formation was the 12:20 KX - Cleethorpes

1A21 was the 11:55 Bradford - KX (interestingly the loco is still showing a headcode after these were abandoned from the 1st Jan 76)

Thank you both very much for the information, I've added it to the captions.

David

• RMweb Premium

Some of Dad's photos at Shepherd's Bush and Rickmansworth for today, showing London Transport (as it was then) trains.

I don't have any more details beyond the captions, I think he sometimes used to go to that area for meetings and usually took a few photos.

attachicon.gifShepherds Bush 224 Whitechapel to Hammersmith Mar 78 J5932.jpg

Shepherds Bush 224 Whitechapel to Hammersmith Mar 78 J5932 C69 stock

attachicon.gifShepherds Bush 232 Whitechapel to Hammersmith Mar 78 J5933.jpg

Shepherds Bush 232 Whitechapel to Hammersmith Mar 78 J5933 C69 stock

The numbers 224 and 232 on the C stock are diagram numbers; the vehicles were numbered individually, not as sets.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Nottingham towards Newark photo’s. All superb, and the last two are good views of the class 120 units. In C4352, at Sneinton Junction, with 25/3, 25309 shunting a train in February, 1979, you have a great weathering effect, and it would look good on a model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the East Midlands around Nottingham photo’s. So excellent, but in the last one, so sad. Sad to see that apart from the retaining walls and tunnel portal nothing was left of Nottingham Victoria station. However, I love the effect of the sun on the two class 114 DMU’s at Bottesford, in C5585, in October, 1981. I feel inspired to make a painting of it. ;)

With warmest regards,

Rob.

... Nottingham Victoria.

attachicon.gifq Nottingham Victoria north end and Mansfield Road tunnel from new car park May 74 J3659.jpg

Nottingham Victoria north end and Mansfield Road tunnel from new car park May 74 J3659

David

... Sad to see that apart from the retaining walls and tunnel portal nothing was left of Nottingham Victoria station. ..

I am just old enough to remember the open tunnel at the north end of Victoria Station, before the Nottm Building Society hoarding was put up...

but what could it have become?  I have read somewhere (on RMWeb?) that the original plans for the Vic Centre included retention of the railway... (this image from RCTS https://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?img=B-82-33)

B-82-33.jpg

This site is interesting, for an account of the recent status of the remains of the GC through Nottingham...

https://sites.google.com/site/pacerchaser/railway-pages/the-lost-main-line--the-great-central-railway-in-nottingham

Edited by DavidBird
  • Like 8