Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

Nice timing there, framing the Deltic between signals on J2760, especially when you consider the date. Far easier in these digital days with constant shooting and pre-shooting giving a series of shots to choose from.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Nice timing there, framing the Deltic between signals on J2760, especially when you consider the date. Far easier in these digital days with constant shooting and pre-shooting giving a series of shots to choose from.

Dave

It's one of Dad's photos, he was very good at releasing the shutter at just the right moment.

As for taking multiple shots with a digital camera it's something I never do, I still work just as I did in film days - one shot coming towards me and possibly one going away.   Dad had converted to digital cameras before he died and did the same.

David

• Like 1

Going back a couple of days, to J4675, the trailing class 20 on the "Jolly Fisherman" would have been 20 014 (20 190 leading). That was the only pairing in August 1975 which included 20 190 - and 20 014 was green at the time (and, indeed, remained so up to withdrawal in 1976).

As always, a lovely batch of pictures on the ECML today! I wonder if the class 40 in J2760 was working "The Highwayman", the budget fare train that ran between Finsbury Park and Newcastle for two years at that time? It's difficult to see the adhesive crossed gold pistols stickers on the windows, so it may just have been a 'normal' service train or a summer relief, like the King's Cross to Scarborough service, which was also rostered for a 40. "The Highwayman" was an early attempt by BR to cash in on the 'no frills', low fare type of service that companies like Stagecoach, EasyJet and Ryanair later adopted in their respective transport mediums, to try and capture some of the road and (limited) air competition. I still have some of the promotional brochures produced for the service - which, ultimately, was unsuccessful and discontinued after two seasons (possibly due to the unattractiveness of Finsbury Park as the source/destination at the London end).

Edited by 35A

As always, great to see pics of Blyth and Cambois. Thanks for sharing.

Mal

ps. There's a GBRf 66 currently stabled at North Blyth Alcan due to the cancellation of this morning's 6S45 North Blyth - Fort William.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Blyth West staithes and Cambois photo’s. All so full of interest. In particular, C6808, at Blyth West staithes sidings, with 08747, on the 16th April, 1985 shows a very well faded 08 class shunter. Always good to see fading like that, and it’s always a good challenge to apply to a model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Looking at 7144 it is hard to believe that the only place still open is the school, the staiths, power station and ash plant all demolished and history!

The OAA on the van kip is to go on the staiths for pick up coal to be forwarded to Goodwin's at Aldermaston.

Mark Saunders 

Dave

Not to mention avoiding the dung-heap in the foreground :stinker:  

Bill

I can't see any gymslips, suspenders and hockey-sticks - 

Nor Dora Bryan complete with loudhailer and Whickham trolly.  "I cwaim the weward for St. Twinians, I cwaim the weward for St. Twinians!)

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the Foxfield Railway photo’s. What a fascinating collection of stock they had back then. The photo’ at Dilhorne, with Simplex Helen, in May 1978, in J6107, is particularly good, capturing the diminutive engine perfectly.

That’s a great set of photo’s of Carlisle. Things have certainly changed over the years, and the class 143 unit in C7072, will soon be of historical interest after the withdrawal of the Pacer units by the end of next year.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Derbyshire photo’s, which are very interesting. The first one of Buxton viaduct, on the LNWR Buxton branch, in June, 1969, is a good arched example, and the photo’ is well composed, with three arches in the middle between the trees. The last photo’ of 47145, at Stenson Junction, on a Newcastle to Cardiff train, in August, 1976, looks like it was another hot and humid day. We may have more of those to come later this month too.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The viaduct in the first of today's photos is on the remains of the LNW line to Ashbourne. It provides an interesting prototype for modellers in that loaded stone trains go both ways, and returning empties go both ways. They run round in the sidings adjacent to the old steam shed in Buxton (mysteriously called Donaghue or Donaroo) which are currently being extended to allow longer trains. Trains between Tunstead Quarry and  the cement plant at Hindlow have another run-round at Great Rocks/Peak Forest.

J6009 - the unit is 244 not 224. It's got an odd driving coach - was that the one rebuilt from a Manchester-Bury coach?

Edit: also, it's a class 302, not a 304.

Barking was a favourite destination for us from Kent, via the Gravesend-Tilbury ferry. Used to be a fair bit of freight coming off the Tilbury line, at least weekdays.

Edited by eastwestdivide

Brilliant photos as always David, evoking memories of visits to family friends at Benfleet.

Minor correction: J6009, the set is 244 and is another Class 302, however the driving car pictured is 77164 from a Manchester/Bury set which replaced an accident victim IIRC.

• Like 1