Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

J6009 - the unit is 244 not 224. It's got an odd driving coach - was that the one rebuilt from a Manchester-Bury coach?

Edit: also, it's a class 302, not a 304.

Barking was a favourite destination for us from Kent, via the Gravesend-Tilbury ferry. Used to be a fair bit of freight coming off the Tilbury line, at least weekdays.

Brilliant photos as always David, evoking memories of visits to family friends at Benfleet.

Minor correction: J6009, the set is 244 and is another Class 302, however the driving car pictured is 77164 from a Manchester/Bury set which replaced an accident victim IIRC.

I think both number mistakes are simply bad typing.  Last week my optician told me I am not due for an eye test for another year.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Barking photo’s. A great collection which covers the area well. I particularly like J6010, with LT District Line Q stock, on an Ealing Broadway to Upminster service, in April, 1978. It captures the unit so well, with its distinctive flaired lower sides. I don’t think ‘Tumblehome’ is the correct term here.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Now you mention it, I think J6010 is R stock rather than Q. 

Ps and Qs, 6s and 7s, 2x4s, I'll have a P please Bob, A for 'orses, B for mutton...

I agree that it is R stock.

That mistake is down to me.  I should have looked it up not tried to do it from memory.  It was one of Dad's photos with (unusually) no notes about the train.

David

As always, a lovely batch of pictures on the ECML today! I wonder if the class 40 in J2760 was working "The Highwayman", the budget fare train that ran between Finsbury Park and Newcastle for two years at that time? It's difficult to see the adhesive crossed gold pistols stickers on the windows, so it may just have been a 'normal' service train or a summer relief, like the King's Cross to Scarborough service, which was also rostered for a 40. "The Highwayman" was an early attempt by BR to cash in on the 'no frills', low fare type of service that companies like Stagecoach, EasyJet and Ryanair later adopted in their respective transport mediums, to try and capture some of the road and (limited) air competition. I still have some of the promotional brochures produced for the service - which, ultimately, was unsuccessful and discontinued after two seasons (possibly due to the unattractiveness of Finsbury Park as the source/destination at the London end).

On page 81 of this thread under post #2018 from 22/1/2015 - photo C705 has the same train in full view. The class 40 has a class 2 code disc displayed, so it would be The Highwayman whose reporting code was 2N45. The 2 leading SK (the maroon one and the blue grey one on BR1 bogies are extra coaches to the usual 8 coaches 3SK, BSO, RB(Thompson), 3SK - the Mk1s all having Commonwealth bogies. I suspect the problem with the concept was that it extracted full fare customers from other services.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s from Darlington going north along the ECML. I particularly like J5390, at Croxdale with a class 40 on a down freight train, on the 5th August, 1976. It’s so well composed, and is a splendid scene in the midst of the long hot summer.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

It would be a TRSB - they were labelled such when first introduced, when much was made of the fact they had draught beer on tap!

Which means it was probably a Cross-Country set as ECML sets generally had a TRFB (Restaurant-Buffet 125)

Unless there were any twin-diner sets left which would have had a TRFK (Restaurant 125) and a TRSB.

C15711 sadly all heavily overgrown last time I was down that way, although the track that curves off in the foreground was still in use (infrequently)

To be fair (or not) most of Network Rail's real estate could be described as that these days. I've rambled through many fields with less wild vegetation than many yards, stabling points and, in places, even running lines!  :D

Edited by 35A

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Edinburgh photo's, which are superb. I particularly like C8039 of Haymarket, with 27020, on the 11th October,  1986. You can also see the end of a converted Gresley carriage too.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Love the Class 101 DMU photos; One of these, 101321 (known not surprisingly as Dusty Bin) was not, shall we say, the most reliable of sets, so the Queen St area Controller always tried to send it east and the Edinburgh area Controller always promptly tried to return it !

• RMweb Premium

Haymarket 27020 11th Oct 86 C8039

One of those 27s was painted by Bachmann, the other Dapol, the other almost out of shot probably Hornby.

All different shades of Rail Blue, which one is right?

Answer, all of them......

Dave

• Like 2

Leith Class 08 5th April 91 C15711

I only 'did' Leith once, in 1985 and it wasn't half as interesting as that - no problem going around but I think our group thought it had faded away and didn't go there on later trips. A mistake obviously - personally I never did catch many of the pipe BDA and BDV which is what the left hand sidings are full of.

Paul

Hi, Dave. I like the Newcastle to Carlisle photo’s. A great set and so full of interest. In J3351, at Low Row, the class 101 DMU, on a Carlisle to Newcastle service, in August, 1973, is actually a mixed formation. You have a three car 101 set, DMBS, TSL and DMCL. Then a two car class 108, Derby Leightweight set, DMBS and DTCL. You can nicely see the difference on enlarging the photo’, for the cab windows are much deeper on the 108 DMBS, and the passenger saloon windows are both deeper and set lower down. Finally the roof vents are shell rather than Greenwood and AirVac on the class 101 roofs.

Patting myself on the back here, I've been following this thread so long that I took one look at the photo and said to myself, "Squiddy, that might be a 101 at one end, but the 2 car unit has to be a 108 or 114".

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Wonderful photos of Llandudno. They bring back great memories of a day out with my Dad and Sister in the mid 1970s. A special train was laid for the day from Stoke to Llandudno and back, hauled by a Class 25 as I recall. We took the tram to Great Orme’s Head and came back via the “Happy Valley” cable car.

Happy days.

Cheers

Darius

Haymarket 27020 11th Oct 86 C8039

One of those 27s was painted by Bachmann, the other Dapol, the other almost out of shot probably Hornby.

Dave

Not really, cos only Lima and Heljan have made RTR class 27 models. :mosking: Edited by leopardml2341

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Llandudno photo’s. They convey so well the location, and I like the first one of them of the Conwy Bridge, in July, 1982. Such an impressive structure which was designed so well to fit in with the Castle.

With warmest regards,

Rob.