Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Re: C13919. The GUV is in Royal Mail livery, albeit unbranded, has dual brakes (the X in the TOPS code), yet is still sitting on BR1 bogies. Unusual? I would have assumed that by that date anything that was DB and merited a repaint would have been on 100mph bogies, whether Commonwealth or B4/B5.

Re: J3421. Never mind the spare boiler, I wonder if the wagon it is sitting on still exists? Forget what they were called, but I think were built for carrying armour plate and were unusual in having three axle bogies and side chains adjacent to the coupling hook.

Re: C13919. The GUV is in Royal Mail livery, albeit unbranded, has dual brakes (the X in the TOPS code), yet is still sitting on BR1 bogies. Unusual? I would have assumed that by that date anything that was DB and merited a repaint would have been on 100mph bogies, whether Commonwealth or B4/B5.

Re: J3421. Never mind the spare boiler, I wonder if the wagon it is sitting on still exists? Forget what they were called, but I think were built for carrying armour plate and were unusual in having three axle bogies and side chains adjacent to the coupling hook.

They were built to carry the 'Super Sherman' tank that the Americans were supposed to be building. In the end, the tanks were never built, and the vehicles were eventually sold to BR, after being on loan since Nationalisation. I don't know of them being used for armour-plate, but BSC Landore used them to send 65t ingot moulds around the country into the early 1980s. The code was Flatrol WLL/MLL or ELL, depending on the regional allocation.

Yes would love to know if this still existed. There was one at Carnforth but they destroyed a lot of stuff there including a unique Esso bogie diesel shunter so I don't hold out much hope for their version of this Flatrol - possibly the same wagon as this? https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/paulbartlettsrailwaywagonphotographs/e34c1942b

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Yes would love to know if this still existed. There was one at Carnforth but they destroyed a lot of stuff there including a unique Esso bogie diesel shunter so I don't hold out much hope for their version of this Flatrol - possibly the same wagon as this? https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/paulbartlettsrailwaywagonphotographs/e34c1942b

Paul

The one at Carnforth was probably the one in the Sewstern photo as almost everything from the Market Overton collection (which were mainly Bill McAlpine's and Jon Gretton's) went to Carnforth along with Flying Scotsman and Pendennis Castle.

David

• RMweb Premium

J5618 great picture, taken just at the right moment as the driver gives it the beans!

Merry Christmas to you Dave, thanks for all of your pictures and the time you take to share them with us.

Even if they are sometimes ordinary or mundane scenes, there is always a wealth of background and incedental detail to be had from them and as a whole, are a valuable record of the BR era.

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Market Overton and Sewstern photo’s, which are so full of interest and intrigue. In C2435, at Market Overton with Barclay No1 Glenfield, a crane engine, on the 7th September, 1975, the engine is something which is rarely seen and hardly ever modelled. Perhaps a crane engine, RTR, might one day happen.

The Grantham photo’s are delightful and capture just how things were back in those days on BR. What a lovely shot of a Deltic plus eight in the last photo’, of 55014, which is on a Kings Cross to Hull express in June, 1980. It can soon be well recreated in 4mm scale thanks to the Accurascale model of the Deltics, which should be in the shops by late next year.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

The Sewstern saga seems quite an interesting episode in preservation histoty, was/is there a book or in depth article covering it?

Mike.

I did an article for Heritage Railway some years ago but cannot remember which issue.  It outlined the project and the proposed role of the High Dyke branch.

There is a little bit about it in Eric Tonks' books on the Ironstone Lines - The Ironstone Quarries of the Midlands Part VII Rutland (for Market Overton) and Part VIII South Lincolnshire (Sewstern).

The books are a fascinating history of Ironstone Quarrying and the associated railways.  

They are now published by Booklaw.

The project did not continue for a combination of reasons.  I don't know everything and I think that as almost all the people involved are now dead the full story will never be told.   The project would have involved individuals, at least one big company and the local land owners.

At the time (1974/5) the economic outlook was very unclear and taxation policy was felt to be likely to change.

As it was intended to keep mainline locos at Market Overton a main line connection either at High Dyke or Saxby Junction was essential, British Rail required very large sums of money to retain a connection at High Dyke or to reinstate one at Saxby.  This would have far outweighed the likely revenue from a connection.

David

• RMweb Premium

J5618 looks like 47549, but could be 546 (there was no 548).

Neither of those seem to fit the bill on underframe detail when looking up on class47.co.uk. Most around those numbers were York locos and 544 is a possibilty.

As for 548 not existing, it was allocated to 125 which was never converted, it being the loco on the tanker train that burnt in Summit tunnel, although it survived.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Neither of those seem to fit the bill on underframe detail when looking up on class47.co.uk. Most around those numbers were York locos and 544 is a possibilty.

As for 548 not existing, it was allocated to 125 which was never converted, it being the loco on the tanker train that burnt in Summit tunnel, although it survived.

Dave

Thanks for the underframe info; didn’t look at photos. It’s definately 4754x, and the last digit is different to the one before, so not 544. Possibly 545 if the underframe detail is wrong for 546/549? I didn’t say 548 didn’t exist btw, just that no loco carried it.

Do those 12 wheel Pullmans still exist?

Keith

Here's a photo I took in Roker, Sunderland in 2016. As you can see because they are VERY close to the sea, the salt in the air is playing havoc and they may not be there for very long. 

post-276-0-46377100-1545652105.jpg

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Here's a photo I took in Roker, Sunderland in 2016. As you can see because they are VERY close to the sea, the salt in the air is playing havoc and they may not be there for very long. 

They could do with being rescued by a preservation group as they not exactly common.

Keith

Edited by melmerby