Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

Lovely shots of the LT&SR did you ever get to South Benfleet and take an pics of the lcrossing?

I've just checked, the only one I have of South Benfleet is taken from the up platform looking east.  I can't remember why I went there and only took one photo.

The photo has appeared before but I have put a copy of it below.

699219853_jbBenfleet302272upJune75C2129.jpg.297f3e22cb5b3353cbb94dbc8b3fb7d5.jpg

Benfleet 302 272 up June 75 C2129

David

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Bluebell Railway photo’s which are so full of interest. I particularly like J6357, at Sheffield Park with class P, 323, on the 26th December, 1978. It really did make a fine sight in that livery. 

The Southern photo’s are full of interest and nostalgia too, and that’s a good photo’ in J6487 at Cannon Street, with a class 415, number 5342, on a Hayes to Cannon Street service in June, 1979. It does make a fine sight as it goes about its everyday work.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The old, and long unused, bridge at Blackfriars, nearest the camera in C4587, was about to be demolished, I think. ISTR the Resident Engineer for the works was a lady named Elspeth. Her husband Bob was also employed in the Divisional Civil Engineer’s office at Beckenham. 

• Thanks 1

J6489 caught in the long changeover period between triangular and circular no smoking signs in the windows. Triangular ones didn't mention a penalty, and the circular ones did - maybe £10 then later £50 ??? Pretty sure they changed at some point, and I've found pics online of both £10 and £50 ones.

• Thanks 1

Great pictures of London Bridge and Cannon Street. What a contrast to today, both London bridge station and the  area generally. I've worked in this vicinity for the last 12 or so years and have seen some remarkable changes; I'd forgotten how far the area has come

• Thanks 1

On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 09:18, blueeighties said:

Thanks David. Indeed regarding current line capacity, it's now pretty much the busiest I have know it since the 80s with the constant procession of biomass workings. If passenger services do ever return, I would have thought re doubling would be a necessity.

It will but it will be a problem when it gets to Northumberland Park due to the layout with the Metro there etc.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Midland photo’s which are all so full of interest and nostalgia. In the first one, J6499, at Nottingham, with a class 116 unit on a Nottingham to Derby service in June, 1979, visible at the rear is a three car class 104 unit. It’s cab windows, as well as the body side windows and door positions are the main features to enable indentification at such a distance.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Great pictures as usual David.

Was the southern entrance to Ratclffe for the flyash or was there coal from the Leicestershire coalfield via the closed curve from the Burton line at Leicester?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, russ p said:

Great pictures as usual David.

Was the southern entrance to Ratclffe for the flyash or was there coal from the Leicestershire coalfield via the closed curve from the Burton line at Leicester?

Just for flyash.  There were 2 separate circuits, 1 for coal unloading, the other for flyash loading.  There's a diagram available (for a donation) from the S.R.S. website.

https://www.s-r-s.org.uk

Edited by DavidBird
Inserted link.
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 03/03/2019 at 10:47, DaveF said:

The Bluebell Railway in the later 1970s for today's preserved railway photos.

862375445_SheffieldParkClassH263andUClass1618Dec78J6362.jpg.1db712af73233c212ec1aed380dfb76e.jpg

Sheffield Park Class H 263 and U Class 1618 26th Dec 78 J6362.jpg

David

Does anybody know why the checkrails are there? - there appears to be another set under the U

Edit: I should look at the picture a bit closer - a barrow crossing that's been removed?

Edited by DavidBird

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Northumberland photo’s of the ECML. So nostalgic and they show how it used to be back on the 1980’s.  The last one at Longhirst, with HST 254026 on an up express in December, 1980, is such a great and powerful view of the now doomed trains.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

So the Carstairs pics took me to the side by side NLS map and there my attention was drawn to an electric railway that ran from the station to Carstairs House

Does anyone know anything about this little railway?

The only information I have on it is from this Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carstairs_House_Tramway

Edit :

Also some information at:

https://www.revolvy.com/page/Carstairs-House-Tramway

https://wikivisually.com/wiki/Carstairs_House_Tramway

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, DaveF said:

The only information I have on it is from this Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carstairs_House_Tramway

It's interesting that is described as a horse tramway and then mentions that propulsion is by electricity.

David

Thank you for these photos of Carstairs station; I use it quite often these days as I have relatives who live in the area.  Across the road is a display panel with information about the tramway.  It shows pictures of an electric tram.  Next time I'm there I'll try and take note of what it says!

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Carstairs photo’s which show how the station and location were in BR days. In C8985, with 47538, coming off an Edinburgh to the south west of England working, on the 14th August, 1987 C8985, I see the fourth carriage is a former air con FO which has been downgraded to an SO. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1