Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

Fantastic photos as always - many thanks for sharing!

Afraid pedant mode is activated by J7300! 40139 is a split box loco....

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGGE_en-gbGB569GB631&biw=1736&bih=929&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=JDeAXLTZHNyM1fAPzcSveA&q=Class+40+40139&oq=Class+40+40139&gs_l=img.3...11946.13519..13842...0.0..0.92.664.9......1....1..gws-wiz-img.mDF4hJcxwD4#imgrc=Z_W5DGXWv1AFfM:

Neither in the photo is a split boxer...

Immediate typo thought might be 40193 - is that the trailing loco? It isnt the front one, handrails and lamp brackets are wrong. 

https://picclick.co.uk/UK-DIESEL-RAILWAY-PHOTOGRAPH-CLASS-40-WHISTLER-No-183678877908.html#&gid=1&pid=1

Sorry!

Phil

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Hi Dave

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGGE_en-gbGB569GB631&biw=1736&bih=929&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=JDeAXLTZHNyM1fAPzcSveA&q=Class+40+40139&oq=Class+40+40139&gs_l=img.3...11946.13519..13842...0.0..0.92.664.9......1....1..gws-wiz-img.mDF4hJcxwD4#imgrc=Z_W5DGXWv1AFfM:

Immediate typo thought might be 40193 - is that the trailing loco? It isnt the front one, handrails and lamp brackets are wrong. 

https://picclick.co.uk/UK-DIESEL-RAILWAY-PHOTOGRAPH-CLASS-40-WHISTLER-No-183678877908.html#&gid=1&pid=1

Sorry!

Phil

It looks like one of the former disk headcode Scottish ones, there is a slight lip at the base of the nose which differentiated these from the ones built with headcode boxes.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, 50A55B said:

It looks like one of the former disk headcode Scottish ones, there is a slight lip at the base of the nose which differentiated these from the ones built with headcode boxes.

D'you know I looked for a square headcode box but didnt notice that!

So started googling - lamp brackets wrong for 40060 then got on to 40061 - initial photos wrong end of loco but then landed on this one

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGGE_en-gbGB569GB631&biw=1736&bih=929&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=60GAXM60EceO1fAPlrW58Ao&q=class+40+40061&oq=class+40+40061&gs_l=img.3...633.8473..8956...1.0..1.154.1382.10j5......2....1..gws-wiz-img.....0..35i39j0j0i10.TFKXyKNCl-4#imgrc=DX2sfaIb3TXfLM:

Looks rather familiar! Photographer sounds familiar too....

Hee hee

Phil

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

Hi Dave

Sorry!

Phil

34 minutes ago, 50A55B said:

18 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

So started googling - lamp brackets wrong for 40060 then got on to 40061 - initial photos wrong end of loco but then landed on this one

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGGE_en-gbGB569GB631&biw=1736&bih=929&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=60GAXM60EceO1fAPlrW58Ao&q=class+40+40061&oq=class+40+40061&gs_l=img.3...633.8473..8956...1.0..1.154.1382.10j5......2....1..gws-wiz-img.....0..35i39j0j0i10.TFKXyKNCl-4#imgrc=DX2sfaIb3TXfLM:

Looks rather familiar! Photographer sounds familiar too....

Hee hee

Phil

I've corrected the caption.

Now for the explanation.

The photo on here tonight of the Class 40s is one of Dad's, I simply copied the caption from his notes, and never thought to look at my photo taken at the same time which has the correct loco number, as in the link just above.

It is nice having lots of photos to use but now and then Dad and I managed to write down different loco numbers (and even locations) for the same view and I have to admit I don't always notice.

It really is helpful when people point out the caption errors and it is a lot easier to correct them here than it would be in a book.

All I have to do now is remember to make corrections each time in Dad's and/or my slide catalogues which are in A4 notebooks taking up nearly 3 feet of shelf space which list every slide we took over the years, just over 44,000 in total (and that's just the railway ones).

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Dave

With the fantastic collection you have the occasional gremlin is inevitable.

Please dont let them prevent further delights appearing

Kind regards

Phil

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

Phil

I did exactly the same, Phil. I noticed that the loco had rounded corners to the headcode box (as you mention, the conversion from disc to headcode in 1965 made the D260-D266 batch easily identifiable by the square corners to the headcode boxes), then I spotted the contour at the base of the nose, where the connecting doors used to extend down, and I got completely confused!

Further research, today, has reminded me that, later in their life, 40 060, 40 061 and 40 065 all emerged with the standard rounded-corner headcode panels at one end, at least (if not both). I suspect that this was after the early class withdrawals in the latter half of the '70s and that sections of nose (and headcode panel) from condemned sister locos had been used to replace corroded sections of the original noses. Perhaps the seven converted locos were more prone to corrosion in the area of the 'new' headcode panel than those in 'as built' condition?

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I miss the variety of the trains - blue box plus a mix of Mk3/2/1 stock in different combinations.

And it was always pleasantly sunny, not like now when most trains look exactly alike except the number of coaches being 9 or 11 and when it gets sunny it's unbearably hot. :)

J7174 - 4 first class  5 second and is that a restaurant car in the middle?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Pretty standard rake for a WCML express, lots of 1st. class and catering vehicle capable of providing hot meals.

The train shown has a Mk1 RKB Kitchen/buffet - this didn't have any seating so the FO next to it was probably reserved for dining.

There was also a small buffet counter, though there would've been a hell of a queue if everyone went at once!

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Hillmorton photo’s. All are most interesting and shown such typical formations of trains from August, 1980, on the WCML. In J7173, with a class 86 on a down express, in addition to the train you have a horse being quite oblivious to the passage of that train. I suppose it must have got so used to trains powering up and down the line that one more would make no difference at all...

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
To remove a v!
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the Hillmorton photo’s. All are most interesting and shown such typical formations of trains from August, 1980, on the WCML. In J7173, with a class 86 on a down express, in addition to the train you have a horse being quite oblivious to the passage of that train. I suppose it must have got so used to trains powering up and down the line that one more would make no difference at all...

The horse copped the 82 on the Motorail, so obviously wasn't bothered by the 86. What is unusual (I think) is the train behind that 86 appears to have both Mk1 and Mk3 catering vehicles, which is something I don't recall seeing in the day.

Question; was that 86 in J7171 attached to the rear, or was it up LE?

Best of the bunch for me though has got to be J7167, always liked the 87s.....

Regards,

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

The horse copped the 82 on the Motorail, so obviously wasn't bothered by the 86. What is unusual (I think) is the train behind that 86 appears to have both Mk1 and Mk3 catering vehicles, which is something I don't recall seeing in the day.

Question; was that 86 in J7171 attached to the rear, or was it up LE?

Best of the bunch for me though has got to be J7167, always liked the 87s.....

Regards,

Dave

Dad's notes say that it was on the rear of the train.

Also he normally took photos of every train, including light engines and there is no photo of a light engine that day.

David

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Davexoc said:

What is unusual (I think) is the train behind that 86 appears to have both Mk1 and Mk3 catering vehicles, which is something I don't recall seeing in the day.

Hadn't even noticed that, there's a Mk1 RKB next to a Mk3 RUB.

I wonder if it was a particular service which had a high meal demand so the RUB served 1st class and the RKB served the rest of the train?

Or there was a fault with one and the other was cut in as a quick substitute? e.g. failure of the RUB's electrical eqpt/supply, so the propane-powered RKB used instead.

Edited by keefer
  • Thanks 1

C6118 will be a Skegness to Nottingham train, provided the picture is at the southern end of the tunnel. The unit has tail lights on so heading into Grantham, to swap ends and off to Nottingham

Edited by great central
Sorry got it wrong having looked again
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, DaveF said:

Dad's notes say that it was on the rear of the train.

Also he normally took photos of every train, including light engines and there is no photo of a light engine that day.

David

If it was on the rear of the train then I think that would have been quite unusual for the period unless it was actually assisting the train.  Top and tailing is relatively common now but back in the day it wasn't.  The SR used to do it with empties between New Cross Gate and London Bridge, and between Fratton and Portsmouth Harbour.  There were a couple of places where a shunter would sometimes bring empties in to a station with the train engine attached on the rear (Derby and Brighton spring to mind) but aside from push pull trains I don't recall ever seeing a passenger train in the BR blue era with a locomotive on the rear.

• Thanks 1

On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 19:12, Oldddudders said:

The old, and long unused, bridge at Blackfriars, nearest the camera in C4587, was about to be demolished, I think. ISTR the Resident Engineer for the works was a lady named Elspeth. Her husband Bob was also employed in the Divisional Civil Engineer’s office at Beckenham. 

Her son carried on the family tradition - I answered the "Bridge Bash" hot-line at Amey Swindon back in 2014-ish and took the call details including the reporting persons' name - the surname of which was so unusual to make me ask "Is your Mum's name Elspeth ?" which elicited a follow-up conversation ......................

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, great central said:

C6118 will be a Skegness to Nottingham train, provided the picture is at the southern end of the tunnel. The unit has tail lights on so heading into Grantham, to swap ends and off to Nottingham

Not sure about that. I agree the unit is south of Peascliffe tunnel but on the Down Main, so heading north towards the tunnel and Barkeston Junction. My reasoning? Even before electrification there were pylons on the Down side (which ultimately made it easier to position the TSC on the Down side during electrification) and a farm track on top of the Up side embankment - where the photo is taken from. So I would say David's caption "Nottingham to Skegness" is correct.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, iands said:

Not sure about that. I agree the unit is south of Peascliffe tunnel but on the Down Main, so heading north towards the tunnel and Barkeston Junction. My reasoning? Even before electrification there were pylons on the Down side (which ultimately made it easier to position the TSC on the Down side during electrification) and a farm track on top of the Up side embankment - where the photo is taken from. So I would say David's caption "Nottingham to Skegness" is correct.

Yes sorry, I edited my post to say I was wrong. Couldn't see how to delete it.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iands said:

The confirmation is in C6116,  where the class 31/4 is passing the same spot in the other direction. Signal, cabinet and purple flowers with the tunnel portal behind. I'm guessing the shots were taken from either side of Belton Lane bridge.

Dave

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

The confirmation is in C6116,  where the class 31/4 is passing the same spot in the other direction. Signal, cabinet and purple flowers with the tunnel portal behind. I'm guessing the shots were taken from either side of Belton Lane bridge.

Dave

The photos were indeed taken from Belton Lane Bridge, so the 114 was heading north to turn to the east at Barkston Junction, north of the tunnel and head for Skegness.

David

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaveF said:

Trains at the southern of Peascliffe Tunnel, north of Grantham today.

The photos date from the late 70s and early 80s.

2091543352_PeascliffeTunnelClass31upemptycarcarriersAug83C6116.jpg.3c920fa687b90f91852c4bae675725cf.jpg

Peascliffe Tunnel Class 31 up empty car carriers Aug 83 C6116.jpg

David

Another of my shots from the footplate, taken in the same place as one of yours David.  Taken from the footplate of  55013 working 1L44 the 1605 KX -York on the 11th September 1981, approaching the southern portal of Peascliffe Tunnel, roughly about half way down the train in your photo.

ECML-23.jpg.09979fde8c5ec17025dbfa74ce690f95.jpg

Many thanks for sharing your vast collection of photos with us.

Paul J.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s from the southern end of Peascliffe tunnel, which are full of interest and yet more nostalgia. In that first one, with a class 47 on a Kings Cross to Edinburgh service in April, 1977, I’m sure the 47 is standing in for a Deltic, for wouldn’t that train be otherwise a typical Deltic plus eight formation?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1