Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the York photo’s which are so nostalgic and full of interest. In C9542, with a converted parcels DMU and 144001 on a Selby to York service on the 26th June, 1988, the parcels unit is actually one of the Derby heavyweight class 114 units. You can tell from the ‘half window’ after what was the first passenger door, and also the oval buffers - the 108’s did not have those buffers as far as I can recall. The body profile is different too.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Thanks Rob.

I stll cannot identify dmus!.

David

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s from Chester le Street and Bradbury, which show how things have changed over the years. In C18087, at Chester le Street, with 158779, on a Newcastle to Liverpool service on the 27th October, 1992, you have a top quality shot of the 158, and the first livery applied to those units suited them quite well - goodness knows how many different liveries they have since carried. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

158779, in C18087, shows what forced me away from all things trains for 15 years.

These 2 car units, with small doors at the ends, were wholly unsuited to replace the loco+7 bogies on the Tran-Pennine route.

Awful awful things. I rate them lower than a Pacer!

Kev.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

Another look at Carlisle today with some photos at the station and also of the viaduct over the River Eden at Etterby.

1268803823_Carlisle85006ParkestonQuaytoEdinburghandGlasgowSept87J9228.jpg.74ca112b80314c5273bcf726dadea02b.jpg

Carlisle 85006 Parkeston Quay to Edinburgh and Glasgow Sept 87 J9228.jpg

184217691_Carlisle85019PooletoGlasgowandEdinburghSept87J9234.jpg.2de3039fb12a400e87d039e59a69cfb3.jpg

Carlisle 85019 Poole to Glasgow and Edinburgh Sept 87 J9234.jpg

David

Hi David,

The Poole - Glasgow / Edinburgh working would have been 1S39 08:34 Poole - Glasgow / Edinburgh whilst the ex Harwich P.Q. working was 1S85 07:50 Harwich P.Q. - Glasgow / Edinburgh.

The latter working previously carried the "European" named train title but with the Summer 1987 timetable the name changed to the "Rhinelander" and was given to the Harwich P.Q. - Manchester Piccadilly service instead.

Would the ECS heading over Etterby Bridge be en-route to Stranraer?  I always presumed ECS stock at Carlisle was dealt with at Upperby.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, SP Steve said:

Hi David,

The Poole - Glasgow / Edinburgh working would have been 1S39 08:34 Poole - Glasgow / Edinburgh whilst the ex Harwich P.Q. working was 1S85 07:50 Harwich P.Q. - Glasgow / Edinburgh.

The latter working previously carried the "European" named train title but with the Summer 1987 timetable the name changed to the "Rhinelander" and was given to the Harwich P.Q. - Manchester Piccadilly service instead.

Would the ECS heading over Etterby Bridge be en-route to Stranraer?  I always presumed ECS stock at Carlisle was dealt with at Upperby.

Many thanks for the train information Steve.

As for the ecs it did seem a bit strange to me, but the train really was devoid of passengers.

David

17 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Many thanks for the train information Steve.

As for the ecs it did seem a bit strange to me, but the train really was devoid of passengers.

David 

Hi David,

Consulting the following website throws up that on that day 47.617 had worked 1E20 10:40 Leeds - Carlisle.

http://class47archives.blogspot.com/2013_12_18_archive.html#Apr1987

I must admit that when I first saw the image it put me in mind of an S&C type working - I checked the date and Easter Sunday of that year was on 19th April so I wonder whether there were engineering works going on that precluded the stock from being taken back to Upperby? Could it have been going into Kingmoor Yard to run round and head back to Carlisle where it would form 1E33 16:15 Carlisle - Leeds?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, SP Steve said:

Hi David,

Consulting the following website throws up that on that day 47.617 had worked 1E20 10:40 Leeds - Carlisle.

http://class47archives.blogspot.com/2013_12_18_archive.html#Apr1987

I must admit that when I first saw the image it put me in mind of an S&C type working - I checked the date and Easter Sunday of that year was on 19th April so I wonder whether there were engineering works going on that precluded the stock from being taken back to Upperby? Could it have been going into Kingmoor Yard to run round and head back to Carlisle where it would form 1E33 16:15 Carlisle - Leeds?

That makes sense.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Carlisle photo’s which are all of interest, and always good to see loco hauled trains as opposed to all the units of the present day railway. The first photo’, with 08690 on an engine release movement for the train from Newcastle, in September, 1987, you have a shot which shows good detail including the additional three link coupling on the front drawhook. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/09/2019 at 19:15, SHMD said:

158779, in C18087, shows what forced me away from all things trains for 15 years.

These 2 car units, with small doors at the ends, were wholly unsuited to replace the loco+7 bogies on the Tran-Pennine route.

Kev.

Worse than a Pacer; that's a claim and a half, Kev.  

I rather like 158s, though I can see how cramming 7 coaches worth of passengers into a 2 car set is not going to endear them to anyone.  They've been a good workhorse for many years now, double glazed and airconditioned 90mph and the seats aren't too bad.  They've done well on many a secondary main line, and handled some good long distance runs (Cardiff-Manchester for example) without too much adverse comment.  

I once (1967) rode from Manchester-Leeds on a Liverpool-Newcastle behind a Class 40 with about 10 on, and wasn't much impressed.  I doubt it managed much more than 35mph on the climbs, a very dull performance and we lost time all the way, about 10 down at Leeds IIRC.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Worse than a Pacer; that's a claim and a half, Kev.  

They've been a good workhorse for many years now, double glazed and airconditioned 90mph and the seats aren't too bad.

Try the length of the S&C on a two car crowded ex Scotrail one.

You might not find them so endearing.

I travelled on some on the Aviemore - Inverness route and they seemed fine but this year on the S&C was not pleasant. Overcrowded, with seat cushions feeling like a pile of broken bricks.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/09/2019 at 19:15, SHMD said:

Kev.

Agreed that the 158/159 does not suit all routes with that door arrangement.

But I would rate them up there with the HST for having got BR out of a hole and enabled the retention of many cross-country routes.

Of course, no DMU with underfloor engines is ever going to give the greatest level of comfort. Diesel engine technology has moved on a lot since the 158s were built and these days one could obtain that power/weight ratio with an engine below just one in three of the carriages. What an improvement that could be!

I live very much in 158/159 country with them being our only trains whether on Exeter - Waterloo or Portsmouth - Cardiff. I am quite happy with them although surely a replacement must be due soon. I think that I prefer the 158 for a long journey to the 220/221. My longest journey would be Gillingham (Dorset) to Manchester a few years ago for an exhibition at G-Mex (Manchester Central). 159 + 158 + 158 with changes at Salisbury and Newport.

Class 33/47/50 with eight or nine coaches was fun (at least it was when a train did not break down on a single-line section). But west of Salisbury, it was over capacity. The depot for the 159s got built at Salisbury where they have done a really good job keeping the fleet going. These days, there are more passengers west of Salisbury and it may have been better, with hindsight, to put the depot at Yeovil and split trains there rather than at Salisbury.

Perhaps one for the next franchise bid, but I do think that we should be seeing infill electrification to Salisbury via both LSW routes which will make it much easier for diversions when necessary. That in turn would justify hybrid diesel-electric units for Waterloo - Exeter.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
Add
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s of the ex British Steel lines beyond High Dyke. All are full of interest, and in J3169, at Sewstern, with Peckett, number 1158, in April, 1973, the vehicle after the engine looks most interesting. On enlarging the photo’, I still cannot really make out much unfortunately.

Regarding the Gresley carriage in C1410, it certainly has a turnbuckle underframe, and the windows look like GNR top ventilated examples. A special saloon is a possibility.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, russ p said:

I'd have loved to have seen this place. Are the Pullman cars the ones that ended up on Sunderland sea front?

They were indeed at Seaburn, Sunderland.  They were   99 Padua built by BRCW in 1920 and 102 Rosalind built by BRCW in 1921.

From Market Overton they went to Carnforth until 1988 when they were sold for use at Seaburn.

Both were used on the SECR.

1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

C1410 - isn't the last carriage a Gresley?

1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Certainly on Gresley bogies.

But the body has too much tumblehome :-)

1 hour ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s of the ex British Steel lines beyond High Dyke. All are full of interest, and in J3169, at Sewstern, with Peckett, number 1158, in April, 1973, the vehicle after the engine looks most interesting. On enlarging the photo’, I still cannot really make out much unfortunately.

Regarding the Gresley carriage in C1410, it certainly has a turnbuckle underframe, and the windows look like GNR top ventilated examples. A special saloon is a possibility.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

It is a Gresley coach but I'm not sure which one as there were several based at  Market Overton/Sewstern at the time.

It is not GNR inspection saloon built 1912 DE320042  as that was in blue/grey livery at Market Overton/Sewstern.

Perhaps it could be DE320286 the ex Tinsley crane riding van.

• Thanks 1