Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

2 minutes ago, melmerby said:

C15291

Anyone know why the orange shunter has two tanks on the bonnet when the blue one doesn't?

The Orange one appears to have had additional air capacity in the form of the pair of tanks, while the Blue one has an additional hydrovane compressor in the cabinet on the left hand side in front of the cab!

Mark Saunders

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Market65 said:

C14388, with an unidentified class 47, on a train of bogies on an ICI limestone train looks as if one of the wagons has had some work’s attention, and that there is another locomotive - probably a further 47 - at the rear. 

The metals sector Class 47 is 47594. The other Class 47 on the rear looks like it has yellow cabs so could well be 47441 as in your other photo since they are numbered only three apart.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

I'm old enought to remember when Burton on Trent still had an extensive brewery railway system with numerous level crossings and the main Birmingham-Derby A38 went right through the middle of it all.

(The other end of the A38 at Exeter was none too clever either!)

The youngsters don't know what traffic jams are!

The traffic jam is alive and well in Exeter too, a nightmare of a place to get across!

Fantastic photos as usual Dave, thanks for posting.

Martyn

Edited by mullie
Sorry double post due to traffic jam on RM Web - will try and delete it.
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, melmerby said:

I'm old enought to remember when Burton on Trent still had an extensive brewery railway system with numerous level crossings and the main Birmingham-Derby A38 went right through the middle of it all.

(The other end of the A38 at Exeter was none too clever either!)

The youngsters don't know what traffic jams are!

No, they don't.  We were on the Exeter bypass in 1961; never turned a wheel for 20 years.  Tell kids that terday, and they don't berleeve yer...

Bridgewater, Taunton, and Launceston were pretty bad for it as well.  Other bad spots on the A48 were Morriston and Chepstow.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Carstairs photo’s from the 26th February, 1993. They are all very interesting, and I particularly like C18324, of 37262. It makes a fine sight and is a 37 I never managed to see and photograph myself.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ian Smeeton said:

C18326 seemed to be a very short train.

Edit.......going away round the bend, just can't see the rest of it!!.... Doh

Regards

Ian

As can be seen from the 15mph PSR  board, the (single line) curve between Carstairs station and Carstairs East Jc is ridiculously sharp ! During the GNER days there was talk of a re-aligned, much faster route through the site of Carstairs depot, but it never came to anything.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the York photo’s which are fabulous and so nostalgic. In the first one, C7857, the class 110, unit, on an ECS movement, on the 3rd Aug 86, is actually comprised of a class 110 DMBS, ex DMBC, with first class downgraded to second, then there is a class 108 TSL, which has a different bodyside profile, lower and different windows and roof ventilators. The third car should be a DMSL. The Derby class 108 was being used after the class 110 TSL’s had been withdrawn from service from the 9th January, 1983, with ten three car sets left. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 08/10/2019 at 07:05, Western Aviator said:

Unless things have recently changed or some special local instructions apply, there is nothing to stop a train running up to a red signal with a level crossing (open to road traffic) immediately beyond it. In signalling terms, a level crossing in the overlap of a signal does not count as an obstruction. I can think of two places in my former area of familiarity where this was true. 

Thanks, wasn't sure of this at all.  Thanks for confirming I was wrong!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/10/2019 at 19:50, caradoc said:

As can be seen from the 15mph PSR  board, the (single line) curve between Carstairs station and Carstairs East Jc is ridiculously sharp ! During the GNER days there was talk of a re-aligned, much faster route through the site of Carstairs depot, but it never came to anything.

It's not just because it's a sharp curve, it's also reverse cant onto the single line. The main lines are canted for the high-speed RH curve so a train moving onto/off the single line can look like it's about to tip over.

Pic and info here: https://web.archive.org/web/20101102164441/http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/carstairs.htm

Edited by keefer
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, keefer said:

It's not just because it's a sharp curve, it's also reverse cant onto the single line. The main lines are canted for the high-speed RH curve so a train moving onto/off the single line can look like it's about to tip over.

Pic and info here: https://web.archive.org/web/20101102164441/http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/carstairs.htm

Indeed. That layout was installed by BR (on electrification and resignalling) at a time when there were few, if any, through trains between Glasgow and Edinburgh via Carstairs, a regular service of 125mph electric trains between Glasgow Central and Kings X was some way in the future (and now of course also in the past !)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Barnetby photo’s, from the 29th May, 1991, which all full of interest. I also like C15893, with 31154 and 31188 on an eastbound tanker train. They really are in a down at heel state and producing quite an amount of exhaust.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Barnetby 156426 Cleethorpes to Newark and 60056 eastbound iron ore empties 29th May 91 C15895.jpg

Looks like a Lindsey bound empty tanker train, ex Kingsbury possibly?

Also shows the sector markings denote it ought to be a coal working....

Regards, Dave

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 19/09/2019 at 23:23, DaveF said:

Photos at Newcastle Central station for today, in the late 80s and early 90s.

442861314_Newcastle14361717thNov90C15497.jpg.b42f13d64df779302e5ad40271364bf7.jpg

This picture puts me in mind of some grand Victorian-era masterpiece with an incongruously placed Pacer thingy and a gronk.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,

Really nice photos from the Summerlees  Heritage site. I wish the SAR Class 4112 had looked so well kept when friends and I visited in April 2015. Vegetation (weeds) growing beneath and within the superstructure and peeling paint unfortunately gave an impression of neglect, plus a comment from a volunteer/ staff member , which we genuinely didn't know whether to take seriously or not, that "Its missing its tender"  indicated that it was not much loved. Great shame for such an impressive machine and I hope others may have had a more positive experience of it since then.

The Gibb & Hogg loco by contrast, was on display inside one of the buildings and had obviously received some TLC.

Robin, No. 5 and NCB Tank engine No. 9 were displayed outside line astern on the same track shown in your photos.

Regards,

John

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Summerlee Heritage Trust photo’s which are fascinating. The first photo’ is interesting, with the steam cranes and Austrian tram. There’s plenty of details to be seen in the crane nearest to the camera, and what a great model it would make.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Brit70053 said:

Hi Dave,

Really nice photos from the Summerlees  Heritage site. I wish the SAR Class 4112 had looked so well kept when friends and I visited in April 2015. Vegetation (weeds) growing beneath and within the superstructure and peeling paint unfortunately gave an impression of neglect, plus a comment from a volunteer/ staff member , which we genuinely didn't know whether to take seriously or not, that "Its missing its tender"  indicated that it was not much loved. Great shame for such an impressive machine and I hope others may have had a more positive experience of it since then.

The Gibb & Hogg loco by contrast, was on display inside one of the buildings and had obviously received some TLC.

Robin, No. 5 and NCB Tank engine No. 9 were displayed outside line astern on the same track shown in your photos.

Regards,

John

They may have been referring to the water tanker which GMAMs ran with - water capacity on the loco itself was minimal.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Michael,

That would put a sensible context to the 'missing tender' comment which seemed so thoroughly off key in the circumstances, since it was obvious to our group that the loco was basically complete despite its rather run down appearance. 

Regards,

John

• Thanks 1