Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

2 minutes ago, michaelp said:

Hi Mal, there was a science teacher there who had something to do with a model railway club at Newlands his name was Jim Scott

Yeah. That's him. He ran the school railway club, took us to sheds at Leeds, York, Manchester and Edinburgh. All steam back then in the sixties.

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Alcanman said:

Yeah. That's him. He ran the school railway club, took us to sheds at Leeds, York, Manchester and Edinburgh. All steam back then in the sixties.

I probably had the same teachers as you when I was there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Glasgow Central photo’s. All are of interest and there are two photo’s of 156439, the first one, and C15640. Both are on the same day, but must be different times, with the unit having worked a service in between the photo’s.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Glasgow Central 86101 and 156439 2nd March 91 C15640.jpg

Amazingly there is a remote chance that you could catch those subjects at that location over 28 and a half years later at the same location, both still being extant...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Sittingbourne and Kemsley Railway photo’s which show how varied the locomotives and stock was back in the 1970’s. I particularly like C2105, at Kemsley Down with Hunslet, Victor, in May, 1975, which is a most tiny locomotive, and would make up into a lovely model.

The Tyne and Wear Metro photo’s are all fascinating, and show how good it was, back then, at going about transporting passengers without fuss or fanfare. In the last photo’, at Kingston Park level crossing, with a Metro train from Bankfoot to South Shields, in February, 1989, you can see clearly the overhang at the front. It seems a bit more than most conventional bogie DMU’s and EMU’s.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

C19343 looks like a rather nice garden layout!

C19364 is a cracking shot of a XC HST (Only one TF and what looks like a TRSB). Does anyone know what service this would likely be? Presumably heading for the deepest South-West, arriving several hours after departure.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Oxenholme and Shap photo’s which are full of interest and show how scenic that part of the WCML is. In the first photo’, at Oxenholme, with 87028, in blue, and the first Mklll in Intercity livery, on a down service, on the 10th August, 1987, you can see a nice dusting of brake dust on the 87. It’s most useful for weathering the Hornby model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, keefer said:

C19343 looks like a rather nice garden layout!

C19364 is a cracking shot of a XC HST (Only one TF and what looks like a TRSB). Does anyone know what service this would likely be? Presumably heading for the deepest South-West, arriving several hours after departure.

Would it be destined for the south coast, Poole perhaps?

I'm not sure if it is T or N gauge though.....

• Thanks 1

Hi Dave,

Thanks for all the brilliant photos. I always look forward to your posts. So much interest and a lot of your photos bring back some lovely early childhood memoires of the early 90s. An extra big thank you for C19343. I have been searching for a roof shot of 90129 in the mid 90s for detailing a model, couldn't have asked for better than your shot.  

All the best

Dave

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, keefer said:

Checking the date shows it to be running on a Tuesday and looking at the position of the sun I'm guessing it was taken around late morning to mid-day. The following XC services were listed in the national timetable (as far as I can recall all three were HSTs):

07:10 Edinburgh - Bournemouth (via Glasgow Central) "The Wessex Scot"    Departed Carlisle 09:45

08:50 Edinburgh - Penzance (via Glasgow Central) "The Cornish Scot"            Departed Carlisle 11:28

09:00 Aberdeen - Plymouth "The Devon Scot"                                                      Departed Carlisle 13:05

I'm guessing the middle of the three fits the bill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Harrogate photo’s from the 11th April, 1990. All are very interesting and it’s always interesting to compare the widths of the class 141’s against the later class 144’s etc.,   I particularly like the surviving semaphore signals, as at that date, in C14309, with 141112 on a Leeds to Knaresborough service. Of course, the 141 is now history too.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave, 

Love the Harrogate photos. Would you (or your Dad) have taken a photo of Harrogate South SB at any time, which would have been further to the right of C14306? I haven't seen many photos of this SB (in fact I could count them on one finger). I remember back in the mid 1970s as a trainee with one of the York S&T Electrical Installation gangs spending a few happy weeks there rewiring the signalling circuits in the SB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, iands said:

Hi Dave, 

Love the Harrogate photos. Would you (or your Dad) have taken a photo of Harrogate South SB at any time, which would have been further to the right of C14306? I haven't seen many photos of this SB (in fact I could count them on one finger). I remember back in the mid 1970s as a trainee with one of the York S&T Electrical Installation gangs spending a few happy weeks there rewiring the signalling circuits in the SB.

Sorry Ian, 

It's one (of several) buildings at Harrogate we never photographed. 

In some photos the box is behind the train!

David

• Thanks 1