Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Grindleford and Sheet Stores Junction photo’s which are all of interest and show aspects of that line which I haven’t seen much of before. The first photo’ at Grindleford, showing the western portal of the Totley tunnel, in April, 1976, shows good details and that the length of the tunnel is given as 6,230 yards. The last photo’, at Sheet Stores Junction, with 43157 on a service to Sheffield from St. Pancras via Derby, on the 9th April, 1990, has good detail showing of the stonework of the arch and metal girders. All so invaluable for model making.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/11/2019 at 16:52, 65179 said:

The inspection saloon was regularly found stabled on its own at Victoria in that period - either where shown or out towards the remains of Exchange station. 

Simon

Just for completeness, I'd be very surprised if the inspection saloon wasn't this one (TDB999503) shown in Swindon 123's photos a few years earlier:

That's certainly the one I remember.

Simon

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Stoke Bank photo’s which are full of interest and it’s always good to see Deltics at work on express trains.  What a classic photo’ in J5445, at Swayfield, with class 55, 55007, on an up express in September, 1976. A beautifully composed shot.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Bottesford photo’s which are interesting and nostalgic. I particularly like J7737, with 20147 and a second one on a Leicester to Skegness train in August, 1982. It’s always good seeing pairs of 20’s on summer extra’s and excursions.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, DaveF said:

A mix of dmus and loco hauled trains at Bottesford on the Nottingham to Grantham line for today.

1072399682_Bottesford20147andanoLeicestertoSkegnessAug82J7737.jpg.88f7ad6907acf78225bb9a5815fa0de0.jpg

Bottesford 20147 and ano Leicester to Skegness Aug 82 J7737.jpg

2102652621_Bottesford45135ChesterfieldtoSkegnessJuly83J7985.jpg.9e8820696a9f6276642b00612fed768d.jpg

Bottesford 45135 Chesterfield to Skegness July 83 J7985.jpg

814847637_Bottesford47457ParkestonQuaytoGlasgowJuly83J8029.jpg.3a9aee0979c9511ac0b70d88147d065e.jpg

Bottesford 47457 Parkeston Quay to Glasgow July 83 J8029.jpg

David

Depending on the day of the week, the Leicester - Skegness could be 1E26 (SuO) 08:19 Leicester - Skegness, 1E86 (M-Th) 08:20 Leicester - Skegness or 1E86 (SO) 08:50 Leicester - Skegness.

The 'Peak' working wouldn't have been to Skegness if it had started at Chesterfield - it would have been 1E83 (SO) 07:39 Chesterfield - Great Yarmouth. If it was working through to Skegness then it would have been either 1E17 (SO) 07:32 Sheffield - Skegness or 1D17 (SX) 08:25 Sheffield - Skegness (depending on the day of the week).

47.457 is heading 1S85 (M-S) 07:17 Harwich Parkeston Quay - Glasgow Central /Edinburgh

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Dave

J8029.jpg 47457 on Harwich to Edinburgh / Glasgow. 

For a time was known as the European and terminated at Waverley.The stock was then used to form a rush hour all stations service to Dunbar,returning to Craigentinny as ECS.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SP Steve said:

Depending on the day of the week, the Leicester - Skegness could be 1E26 (SuO) 08:19 Leicester - Skegness, 1E86 (M-Th) 08:20 Leicester - Skegness or 1E86 (SO) 08:50 Leicester - Skegness.

The 'Peak' working wouldn't have been to Skegness if it had started at Chesterfield - it would have been 1E83 (SO) 07:39 Chesterfield - Great Yarmouth. If it was working through to Skegness then it would have been either 1E17 (SO) 07:32 Sheffield - Skegness or 1D17 (SX) 08:25 Sheffield - Skegness (depending on the day of the week).

47.457 is heading 1S85 (M-S) 07:17 Harwich Parkeston Quay - Glasgow Central /Edinburgh

Many thanks,  Ive altered the caption on the Peak photo.  Also the Parkeston Quay to Glasgow and Edinburgh.

I don't know which day of the week the 20s were photographed, Dad worked from home a lot at that time.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, SP Steve said:

Would the Sheffield -Skegness have been Mk2e air-cons on a weekday? The stock will have come from Nunnery sidings and from memory there weren’t any spare MML rakes except at the weekend.

• Thanks 1

J7737 - 20 147 made numerous appearances on the various "Jolly Fisherman" trains (and unadvertised reliefs) during August 1982, always paired with 20 113.

J7985 - 45 135 was recorded on Saturday 2nd July 1983 working 1E85 (09:22 Derby - Skegness) and 1M35 (13:00 Skegness - Derby). All other entries for 45 135 that month show it on Midland Main Line or Cross Country services.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Steamysandy said:

Hi Dave

J8029.jpg 47457 on Harwich to Edinburgh / Glasgow. 

For a time was known as the European and terminated at Waverley.The stock was then used to form a rush hour all stations service to Dunbar,returning to Craigentinny as ECS.

The service was indeed given the "European" title from May 1983 although it was initially launched as the "European Scot" (the title was very quickly shortened). The working was an amalgamation of the former Glasgow / Edinburgh - Nottingham (via the S&C) and Manchester - Harwich Parkeston Quay boat train (known unofficially as the "North Country Continental"). It ran as the "European" until May 1987 when the Glasgow / Edinburgh to Harwich working was re-routed to run unnamed via the WCML (Watford, Shenfield, Colchester being among the stops) with the Manchester - Harwich leg re-instated to start from Manchester Piccadilly under the "Rhinelander" named train title.

As the "European" the stock consisted of ten Mk2 with a Mk1 buffet - on the northward trip six coaches were for Glasgow with the remaining five being destined for Edinburgh. It was also scheduled for haulage by a Stratford based class 47 which worked as far as Preston before it returned the next day with the southbound service.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, 35A said:

J7737 - 20 147 made numerous appearances on the various "Jolly Fisherman" trains (and unadvertised reliefs) during August 1982, always paired with 20 113.

J7985 - 45 135 was recorded on Saturday 2nd July 1983 working 1E85 (09:22 Derby - Skegness) and 1M35 (13:00 Skegness - Derby). All other entries for 45 135 that month show it on Midland Main Line or Cross Country services.

Many thanks,  I've altered the captions.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Northumberland photo’s which are all of interest, and it’s interesting to see, in the last photo’, no OHLE, but by the time of the first two, in 1989, two years later, that the OHLE was up. How lonely the 153 appears in C18027, at Buston Barns - 153352 on a Alnmouth to Newcastle service, on the 3rd September, 1992. I wonder if it was full to standing?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Market65 said:

Hi, Dave. I like the Northumberland photo’s which are all of interest, and it’s interesting to see, in the last photo’, no OHLE, but by the time of the first two, in 1989, two years later, that the OHLE was up. How lonely the 153 appears in C18027, at Buston Barns - 153352 on a Alnmouth to Newcastle service, on the 3rd September, 1992. I wonder if it was full to standing?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The 153 might have had as many as ten people on board.

Alnmouth station is much busier nowadays.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, SP Steve said:

The service was indeed given the "European" title from May 1983 although it was initially launched as the "European Scot" (the title was very quickly shortened). The working was an amalgamation of the former Glasgow / Edinburgh - Nottingham (via the S&C) and Manchester - Harwich Parkeston Quay boat train (known unofficially as the "North Country Continental"). It ran as the "European" until May 1987 when the Glasgow / Edinburgh to Harwich working was re-routed to run unnamed via the WCML (Watford, Shenfield, Colchester being among the stops) with the Manchester - Harwich leg re-instated to start from Manchester Piccadilly under the "Rhinelander" named train title.

As the "European" the stock consisted of ten Mk2 with a Mk1 buffet - on the northward trip six coaches were for Glasgow with the remaining five being destined for Edinburgh. It was also scheduled for haulage by a Stratford based class 47 which worked as far as Preston before it returned the next day with the southbound service.

As a child our family didn't have a car, so when we went to the Lakes on holiday we caught the European from Ely through to Oxenholme. Invariably Dad pushed out for reserved seats, which for some reason were always in coach A. We always seemed to take our bikes with us, and I can remember running from front to rear of the train at Ely to find the correct BG to put them in one more than one occasion.

The one vivid memory was going to Glasgow with reservations again in coach A. When the train arrived we noted it went BG, then started at coach B. Coach A happened to be hanging out at the rear of the train behind the last BG. It had no heating or lighting, but was packed with people who had reserved seats. The guard had a hard time of it. I can remember spending all of the journey from Nottingham northwards standing in the rear BG, as this had lighting and I was petrified of the dark at the time. I can't think how many hours I hung onto the bars on the windows to stop myself from falling over......

Andy G

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the latest Carlisle photo’s which are full of interest and intrigue. In J8859, with 81020 on an up BOC  tanks train, in April, 1987, you can see, clearly, how the locomotives number is sloping down towards the cab door. Of course, as always, we cannot get away with that on a model. It just never looks right.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1