Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Tanfield Railway photo’s. They capture so well the line and the stock used, at the time of the photo’s, so clearly. I particularly find C11904 at Marley Hill, of the turntable, on the 28th May, 1989, most fascinating. It’s something waiting to be modelled.

The Teesside photo’s are excellent, and capture the large scale of the place and atmosphere so well. The last photo’, at Grangetown BSC, with 37506, on the 8th May, 1993, is a great side on view of the 37.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Nottingham to Lincoln line photo’s. All are full of interest and nostalgia. The first photo’ at Sneinton Junction, looking east, in  November, 1978, shows a good frosty scene, and that steam adds to it. Trains are not always needed in photo’s for a really good scene. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Firstly, I’m glad you have your internet and landline back. I’ve been left without mine too many times in the past and know exactly how frustrating it is.

The Heaton Depot photo’s from the visit in January, 1990, are fascinating, and particularly J10609, of 142516 in an uncoupled condition. You can see the top of the nearest exhaust pipe is, temporarily, facing the wrong way and the connecting gangway looks very much like you sometimes have on model carriages. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

Great photos as always David.

An unusual feature of Heaton Depot was that occasionally, if an Up HST was short of fuel, it would run via the Depot, with passengers on board, to give the Power Car(s) a drink.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, caradoc said:

Great photos as always David.

An unusual feature of Heaton Depot was that occasionally, if an Up HST was short of fuel, it would run via the Depot, with passengers on board, to give the Power Car(s) a drink.

No it could not as the depot was not equipped for passenger trains, it is no block and had no point locks. What you are thinking of is the ability to use the Up Loop and stretch the pipes across from number one arrival.

Edited by Mark Saunders
F key sticking
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

No it could not as the depot was not equipped or passenger trains, it is no block and had no point locks. What you are thinking of is the ability to use the Up Loop and stretch the pipes across from number one arrival.

Fair enough Mark, my only involvement was being aware in Scotland that an HST could be fuelled at Heaton while in passenger service. You have certainly put me right.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Great Central photo’s. All are of interest, and it’s certainly interesting to see a class 115 unit being filmed, although I’ve no idea what the nature of the filming was. In C9583, at Marylebone, with class 115, car number 51674, being filmed, on the 27th July, 1988, you can also see something of the bufferstops. They remind me, a bit, of those sprung ones Hornby used to make.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

Love the Marylebone Pics, in C9582, the two trollies on the right, I reckon one of them became the depot trolley, "regs trolley", that could be the one in my back garden. The one being filmed, I think that might be ex works after a repaint into NSE, as there is no destination blind fitted and it looks very shiny!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, DaveF said:

The Great Central Railway today with one photo from East Leake in 1983 and the rest from Marylebone in July 1988.

854034090_EastLeakeTunnelClass31upleFeb83J7803.jpg.abaf406cbbcb13d99e968720ad7d81f4.jpg

East Leake Tunnel Class 31 up le Feb 83 J7803.jpg

103175789_MaryleboneClass11551674beingfilmed27thJuly88C9581.jpg.de51bbe3ede5393aa8059b4eaca7c3e4.jpg

Marylebone Class 115 51674 being filmed 27th July 88 C9581.jpg

1044793605_MarylebonesocalledGWRcoaches27thJuly88C9582.jpg.ea93d95f9bf9f23551316daf1658f25f.jpg

Marylebone so called GWR coaches 27th July 88 C9582.jpg

371073600_MaryleboneClass11551674beingfilmed27thJuly88C9583.jpg.be1e2195f69882739569ece0858099d5.jpg

Marylebone Class 115 51674 being filmed 27th July 88 C9583.jpg

690828095_Marylebone27thJuly88C9584.jpg.b447b1374b433f1ebf03dce60a7d7f04.jpg

Marylebone 27th July 88 C9584.jpg

David

Great photo's ......How empty the roads look compared with today....

I used to park my car on the platform in 1987 as I only worked at Baker Street and am still employed there.

Jim

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Lucker photo’s which are all of interest.  In the last photo’, C18414, with 56095, on an up empties train, on  the 7th April, 1993, the 56 makes a fine and classic sight at the head of that long train.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Prudhoe photo’s which are full of interest. That last one, of 156463, on a Sunderland to Carlisle service, on New Year’s Eve, 31st December, 1993, is a remarkable example of letting a train get filthy covered in brake dust and grime. As stated above, the old lady is looking too pleased about it, and I’m not surprised. I will not be weathering the lovely Realtrack model to that extent.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

Ref photo 11672; for once, the bank to the left of the train is neither a pit heap nor a slag bank. It's fine sand, extracted from the site of a munitions factory, which stood more-or-less where Kimberley-Clark and the industrial estate are now.

Not sand but chalk, a by product from the ICI managed factory on the other side of the railway.

See this link,     http://www.prudhoelocalhistory.com/industrial-expansion.html

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Not sand but chalk, a by product from the ICI managed factory on the other side of the railway.

See this link,     http://www.prudhoelocalhistory.com/industrial-expansion.html

I sit corrected...We had some friends who lived in Hagg Bank, otherwise known as 'The Points', so saw these heaps often.

• Thanks 1