Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

The final pic shows the station after the electric sting had been installed. Newcastle station is Grade II listed. When the OLE was going to be installed, the LA showed very considerable interest, and detailed discussions took place with the Project Team and engineers on what and where. One Monday morning my boss had a call from the LA, saying that one of the uprights erected over the weekend was in the wrong place - and they were right!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Newcastle photo’s which all so nostalgic and bring many happy memories back. In J9790, with 08578, in February, 1989, the 08 is looking most presentable with just a bit of oiliness on the coupling rods.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

C15587: a nice little conundrum for the 47 experts. I can do the easy one; the loco on the right is 47475 :imsohappy:

Edit: Actually, I think I can do the others as well; the left one is 47492 The Enterprising Scot and the middle one could well be 47638 County of Kent.

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Newcastle to Carlisle photo’s which are all full of interest. In the last one, at Cowran Hills cutting, with 142037, on a down ECS working on the 1st June, 1994, how historical that photo’ now is, with the 142 now withdrawn and to be found at Worksop awaiting it’s final move to Booth’s of Rotherham.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

On 05/12/2019 at 12:17, deltic17 said:

J6522 is 55015 Tulyar. It's headcode boxes were plated on 28/6 according to Napier Chronicles and by mid July it had white windows so this is in that in between period. 

The delve above the right marker light gives it away as Tulyar and when you know that you can make out the 5 in the photo. Obviously racehorse nameplate too.

Tulyar was used on Adex trains to Lowestoft and Skegness in August 78. Me memory of seeing it at Skeggy was that it wasn’t particularly clean but the photos suggest otherwise. It still had the domino headcodes at the time.

Edited by RANGERS
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Trent Lane crossing photo’s. All are of interest and show how the railway was back in the eighties. In J8023, with a HST, with 43086 leading, on a St. Pancras to Sheffield express in July, 1983, it is a great photo’ of the train which has been caught, by the camera, in a classic three quarter pose. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Butterley photo’s which are fascinating. In J6850, with MR 2-4-0 158A, in April, 1980, the engine makes a lovely sight, and I wonder how it is today?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, dvdlcs said:

Interesting colour contrast between C13868 and C14117. I'm assuming both units were in the same livery, but C13868 the light blue looks more like green.

I think one does have a green upper body colour - I think there was a Centro livery like this for a time.

Edit  This is a second attempt to add information, it seemed to save but obviously did not.

West Midlands PTE was established in 1969, from 1990 it operated as Centro, and used that name for rail services operated by British Rail in its area.

According to the sources I have found the livery with the green upper part was adopted at the start of 1990, the one in my photo must be a very early repaint.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave.  I like the Radcliffe on Trent photo’s which are full of interest. In J5997, with a class 114 DMU on a Grantham to Nottingham service in April, 1978, you can see the gap between the top of the bogies of the DTCL and the underside of the solebar, quite a distinguishing feature of many of the first generation DMU’s.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DaveF said:

I think one does have a green upper body colour - I think there was a Centro livery like this for a time.

Edit  This is a second attempt to add information, it seemed to save but obviously did not.

West Midlands PTE was established in 1969, from 1990 it operated as Centro, and used that name for rail services operated by British Rail in its area.

According to the sources I have found the livery with the green upper part was adopted at the start of 1990, the one in my photo must be a very early repaint.

David

I thought it might be Centro at first glance, but the green doesn't look "strong" enough, the lower stripe seems thicker than on the Centro livery and it doesn't have the yellow square Centro logo panels on the sides. I wonder if it's just the normal "Provincial" pale blue which has become discoloured?

This is what the Centro livery looked like in my memory:

24700557999_0e0cb2f867_z.jpg

150122 Barnetby by British Rail 1980s and 1990s, on Flickr

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, railsquid said:

I thought it might be Centro at first glance, but the green doesn't look "strong" enough, the lower stripe seems thicker than on the Centro livery and it doesn't have the yellow square Centro logo panels on the sides. I wonder if it's just the normal "Provincial" pale blue which has become discoloured?

This is what the Centro livery looked like in my memory:

24700557999_0e0cb2f867_z.jpg

150122 Barnetby by British Rail 1980s and 1990s, on Flickr

I think you may well be correct and that the photo I posted had undergone a colour change before being scanned - I have found another photo of the same unit taken that month which clearly shows it in blue.

Many thanks for the photo you posted to show the real Centro livery.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

J8964 is a GD Generator, with what looks like a crest above the number. By June 87, according to the withdrawal dates on WNXX and livery, it could only be one of 47417 and 47418

From the position of the number, crest and depot sticker my money is on 47417: https://www.flickr.com/photos/63804624@N08/5971632416/in/photolist-JiNnCy-ehYdPA-SE9jc9-TmkgGy-25vZsQQ-fwjLAb-qT4Cah-kSg2U4-HshLRm-ovEYo5-DHE5oe-pob3RK-wEUssb-cVA1T9-EciD5v-dFod7Q-pWiXss-qwEeaj-N35W5y-oVWaj9-ZxXAYE-9937wv-a6GbgA-vo7R1P-9DzwpV-EyQuoL-VQ3Z7x-gushZz-FSZ5GM-gjeh4c-FSZ3YX-b3qNbg-kmooet-2bZ7yXu-ef6NCP-YsSv1J-DozuLK-mMMMNt-afVHm3-mvPG54-dJTVSX-e78VuF-mvPaeD-atYZC7-FSZaVc-r6Mkgs-cLzzg3-fNsR9f-8jgbgV-amkJPd

47418: http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0999000489000

Edited by brushman47544
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Manors photo’s from June, 1987. They capture perfectly the way the station was by that date, and the cloudy weather contributes perfectly to the urban atmosphere of the place. In the last photo’ of 143013, on a Berwick to Newcastle service, for some reason, unless there were a couple of drops of rain, both wipers are in the lowest position on the windscreens. Quite a coincidence I would think.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi David,

Cracking photos as always. The trains themselves are of course very interesting. But some of the stuff in the background is also a brilliant help. I have been looking for a few pictures of a suitable background wall for a station and your Hartlepool picture was just exactly the thing I had in mind but was struggling to find. 

All the best

Dave

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Hartlepool and Cemetery North Junction photo’s which are all full of interest and historical value too. In C18069, at Hartlepool, with 142522 on a Newcastle to Middlesbrough service on the 10th October, 1992, that one time ‘Skipper’ is now withdrawn and waiting to be scrapped - it arrived at Worksop on the 29th November, this year.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1