Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

re C18582 - back in the early 1980s I worked in a company which had Hartlepool General Hospital as a customer, on my way for a meeting in the hospital I came off the A19 and as I dropped down the hill towards Hartlepool I spotted Cemetry North perched on the embankment in the distance, I drove down to it and - I assume - up the (road) track to the right, there wasn't a fence there when I went so I took some photos of the box - while dressed in a whistle and flute.

Edited by beast66606
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Great pictures David,  when 142s were new with original doors the traction interlock was isolated which meant the train could be driven with the doors open , the guards used to give you two on the buzzer and stand at the open local door as the train left the platform. 

When they put the interlock in the doors would loose the contact on that embankment between cemetery north and Hart. This meant that you lost power and quite often have to isolate the system 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Fond memories of following the RAC rally in that area and observing old railways as it was November it all looked like the top picture though more often than not raining or worse

Great pictures 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like all of the NBR in Northumberland photo’s. In particular the two of the viaducts - DSC_1078 of Fontburn viaduct, and J7343 of Kielder viaduct, NBR, in April, 1981. All so delightful.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

Lovely photos David. We have stayed in one of the railway cottages at Redesmouth on a couple of occasions in the last few years......just out of shot to the right. The engine shed is still extant as part of a working farm across the field. Love this part of the country. 

Regards

Guy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, russ p said:

Fond memories of following the RAC rally in that area and observing old railways as it was November it all looked like the top picture though more often than not raining or worse

Great pictures 

Did that too, but when we overnighted for the Falstone stage it was snowing. Cold prawn crackers from Hexham the previous night for breakfast with the waft of a fry-up coming from the camper van parked up a few cars away.....

Nice to see it all in sunnier times...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, russ p said:

Great pictures 

1 hour ago, Davexoc said:

Did that too, but when we overnighted for the Falstone stage it was snowing. Cold prawn crackers from Hexham the previous night for breakfast with the waft of a fry-up coming from the camper van parked up a few cars away.....

The last weekend in November was always the cue for the first snowfall of winter as I recall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Davexoc said:

We used to hire motor homes to follow it in latter days

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

Thanks for the comments about Northumberland, it is a beautiful county.  

I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Today we visit Scotland again to visit Leith and Garnqueen North Junction.

Sorry about the colour balance - it's the best I could do.

1352487044_LeithClass085thApril91C15710.jpg.314c3757d67d22cd68bca5a34500005c.jpg

Leith Class 08 5th April 91 C15710.jpg

1081887870_GarnqueenNorthJunctionClass156up5thApril91C15723.jpg.fe7274e6ec16cb50514030dd54915a10.jpg

Garnqueen North Junction Class 156 up 5th April 91 C15723.jpg

196127080_GarnqueenNorthJunction156453down5thApril91C15724.jpg.96a82153135793c37b7a378173f28aaa.jpg

Garnqueen North Junction 156453 down 5th April 91 C15724.jpg

1701266862_GarnqueenNorthJunction1564535thApril91C15760.jpg.6218a8eabaaf8dbe8cd553bbe62fb4db.jpg

Garnqueen North Junction 156453 5th April 91 C15760.jpg

69778809_GarnqueenNorthJunction24thApril92C16901.jpg.b03fa3d7f129bc9dffb3a2b2ef94ea7a.jpg

Garnqueen North Junction 24th April 92 C16901.jpg

David

Hello David,

Like the trackwork at Leith in C15710 - replicates some of the track laying on my layout!

Many thanks for all the pictures you've been posting, one of my favourite threads on RMweb.

Keith

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Leith and Garnqueen North Junction photo’s which are all full of interest. The last one of Garnqueen North Junction signal box, on the 24th April, 1992, is a good photo’, and it also shows, very nicely, the bracket signal in the foreground. What a lovely signal that is.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Not sure but there seems to be a second lattice post behind the right hand post from the platform up. Very odd.

Possibly made up from spares in the MSE parts box!

Jonathan

I took that to be the bracket signal and arm, while the lattice in the foreground lacks any signal arms?

• Thanks 2