Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the WCML photo’s from Penrith and Wreay. They are all full of interest, and nostalgia. In C18365, at Penrith, with 86233, on a Edinburgh to Paddington service on the 6th March, 1993, you have captured a fine view of the 86.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Bottesford photo’s which are full of interest. In J7510, with two class 31’s on an up freight, in June, 1981, that is such a atmospheric view which I could look at all day. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
Re-spacing a comma.
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fat Controller said:

It would have been normal for flask-carriers to be found in mixed freights at the time, subject to marshalling instructions. What intrigues me, given the late date, is the presence of what appear to be unfitted Class 1 tanks.

Look like TSVs 35 ton tanks as per the Heljan model and similar to the Airfix kit.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I thought  flask wagons had to be marshalled next to the loco back then.

Where the location is I cant imagine it has a flask as I would assume the train has originated from whitemoor and the closest power station is size sizewell and as far as I know traffic from there has always gone via London and WCML 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, russ p said:

I thought  flask wagons had to be marshalled next to the loco back then.

Where the location is I cant imagine it has a flask as I would assume the train has originated from whitemoor and the closest power station is size sizewell and as far as I know traffic from there has always gone via London and WCML 

Were they allowed in the same train as tank cars - I seem to recall that was banned for many years.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Were they allowed in the same train as tank cars - I seem to recall that was banned for many years.

I was thinking that myself.  It depends what's in them I think 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, 62613 said:

Is it an empty wagon being used as a barrier between the tanks and the rest of the train? But no barrier between the locos and the tanks, which suggests either that the second loco is the barrier(!) or that the tanks are empty

It can't be a barrier as there isn't one between the loco and the tanks

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

The first train is a Clitheroe - Gunnie cement train. This one seems to consist  entirely of cement hopers, but there were also some open hoppers, with clam-shell roof doors, intended to take excess clinker to Gunnie, as the works at Clitheroe didn't have the capacity to mill all it produced.

The contract  was terminated after a few years, and some of the wagons were sent to Blaydon for a full internal and external clean, whilst more work was sought for them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the South Tynedale  Railway photo’s from around Alston and Gilderdale. They are very interesting and show what happened with some of the former railway to Haltwhistle after it was closed down in 1976. They certainly have a good variety of stock, and I particularly like the first photo’ of Alston, with Hunslet  number 2, Ayle, on the 2nd April, 1988. A most delightful small locomotive.

The WCML photo’s, in Scotland, around Abington and Crawford are delightful and really show off the excellent Scottish scenery. In the last one, at Crawford, with a class 86, on an up mail train, on the 26th February, 1993, 

the train almost blends into the scenery in a way traffic on a motorway never really seems to be able to.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the York photo’s which ooze nostalgia. The last photo’ of 141113, on a Sheffield service, on the 3rd of June, 1992, is a good portrait of the unit, and is a reminder that no services, from today, are worked by Pacer railbuses, to or from York anymore. 
In J9075, with a unit on a York to Hull service in July, 1987, the unit is not a class 114, heavyweight, but a lightweight, class 108. As always, the bodies are much shorter at 57 feet, and the buffer faces are smaller in diameter. Additionally, there only three large windows between the side doors, as opposed to four on a 114.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1